Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4886147 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #9000 on: 2020-03-08 01:29:50 »
I started playing this a few days ago on Arrange Mode and I've been hooked, having a great time revisiting this classic with all the new twists and turns that it has. Massive thank you Sega Chief for the work you've put into and are continuing to put into this. I've just started disk 2 and I can't wait to see what lies ahead, with some of my personal favourite changes so far being
Spoiler: show
the recurring reappearance of the Guard Scorpion as well as the helpful intervention it brought during the Brass Dragon boss, which was amazing, as well as other bosses such as the Materia Keeper robot version and the new Lost Number (when that split into both parts at once, oh man...). Although, the Satan's Gate encounter was weirdly easier than I expected, which is about the only breather I've had so far.

I actually just wanted to double-check though, as I'm worried I missed something. I'm sure I heard that bosses could be morphed into items, and looking at the spreadsheet this seems to be the case. However, I've ended a lot of boss encounters with a morph attack and nothing seems to have came from it. Was this changed in a recent version? I'm playing on the most recent one to my knowledge, that being December 30th 2019.

Thanks again for the work. Having a great time with it!

Possibly was changed yeah, I tinkered with Morphs a lot over the years.

Glad you're enjoying it so far, let me know if there are problems.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9001 on: 2020-03-08 01:33:08 »
I found something weird happening. When you approach Hojo at the Shinra building, the game just freezes, and Barret's model just runs in place.

I am using both New Threat and The Reunion mod. I made sure to disable all relevant options in The Reunion .ini file but the issue still persists. I don't think uninstalling the reunion mod would work since I'm pretty sure it would mess up my save file.

As far as this issue goes, it might be a reunion version thing or it might be that some option is still being applied that alters field script behaviour. Check through options again and disable anything like new translation and the like. I compared the flevels and they were identical for that part, but I didn't run into the issue during my R06 test.

Also check that the latest R06 version is being used in case this is something from an older build. R06 has had a few hotfixes since its initial release.

Edit:
One thing to try, swap Barret and Tifa in the party menu; I think it's to do with party order being fixed so that party split corresponds to the correct order in all cases but for this particular scene this is bad because it means Barret has to move a different way to reach his intended spot. I think. Typically I move Barret to the mid spot when playing (habit from when I first played the game) but I think before the Shinra Raid starts it goes with Cloud Tifa and Barret as the party order. That might be why I didn't run into it during my runthrough.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-08 01:49:16 by Sega Chief »

coredumperror

• View Profile
« Reply #9002 on: 2020-03-08 04:38:26 »
I'll be keeping both versions so backporting bug fixes will happen to an extent, but it'll probably be limited to critical things only.

OK, that's fair. Here's a critical one I just found, though:

Transform + Added Effect in a weapon = hard lock

I first noticed this happen about an hour after my last save, so that kinda sucked... But I went back to test it, and I confirmed that every time I triggered Lagomorph through Added Effect, the game locked up. The problem seems to be that the tiny frog can't take it's turn, so combat gets stuck, though the game itself isn't actually frozen. Any characters who have yet to have an action chosen can choose one, but they'll never perform it. I can pause, and I can try to run away, but while the animations play, nothing ever happens.

I confirmed that this happens on both Dorky Face and Nibel Wolf, though only if triggered through Added Effect. Casting Lagomorph normally caused no issues.

And just in case it's relevant, the character I was using Added Effect + Transform on was Barret, with the materia slotted into Enemy Launcher or Heavy Vulcan. Both caused the lock. I'm also using the 7th Heaven version of NT.

I thought I'd come up with an absurdly OP combo of Transform + Added Effect + Enemy Launcher, turning Barrett into a debuffing monster. This bug really put a damper on my fun, lol. Fortunately, swapping in Seal for Transform seems to work well.

EDIT: Could you please add a menu option that lets you change your mind for a Rank Up choice? Right now, once you choose one, you're locked in. You either accept it (even if you chose it by accident because your controlled presses "OK" at random sometimes when using the D pad...), or you give up that rank entirely. It sucks that there's no "Whoops, I picked the wrong one!" option.

EDIT 2: Is the Fort condor guide supposed to appear in Rocket Town, the first time you get there and the Fort Condor battle triggers? I couldn't find him anywhere, so I had to go all the way back to Cosmo Canyon to take his shortcut to Fort Condor.

EDIT 3: Are Hippogryffs (in the area outside Mideel) supposed to be worth 0 EXP?
« Last Edit: 2020-03-08 08:56:13 by coredumperror »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9003 on: 2020-03-08 13:19:40 »
OK, that's fair. Here's a critical one I just found, though:

Transform + Added Effect in a weapon = hard lock

I first noticed this happen about an hour after my last save, so that kinda sucked... But I went back to test it, and I confirmed that every time I triggered Lagomorph through Added Effect, the game locked up. The problem seems to be that the tiny frog can't take it's turn, so combat gets stuck, though the game itself isn't actually frozen. Any characters who have yet to have an action chosen can choose one, but they'll never perform it. I can pause, and I can try to run away, but while the animations play, nothing ever happens.

I confirmed that this happens on both Dorky Face and Nibel Wolf, though only if triggered through Added Effect. Casting Lagomorph normally caused no issues.

And just in case it's relevant, the character I was using Added Effect + Transform on was Barret, with the materia slotted into Enemy Launcher or Heavy Vulcan. Both caused the lock. I'm also using the 7th Heaven version of NT.

I thought I'd come up with an absurdly OP combo of Transform + Added Effect + Enemy Launcher, turning Barrett into a debuffing monster. This bug really put a damper on my fun, lol. Fortunately, swapping in Seal for Transform seems to work well.

EDIT: Could you please add a menu option that lets you change your mind for a Rank Up choice? Right now, once you choose one, you're locked in. You either accept it (even if you chose it by accident because your controlled presses "OK" at random sometimes when using the D pad...), or you give up that rank entirely. It sucks that there's no "Whoops, I picked the wrong one!" option.

EDIT 2: Is the Fort condor guide supposed to appear in Rocket Town, the first time you get there and the Fort Condor battle triggers? I couldn't find him anywhere, so I had to go all the way back to Cosmo Canyon to take his shortcut to Fort Condor.

EDIT 3: Are Hippogryffs (in the area outside Mideel) supposed to be worth 0 EXP?

I think the added effect frog thing is caused through another mod. It's come up a few times in the past.

Sources can't be reset at the moment because the game originally had no way of removing the bonus given by a source either. There is a prototype .exe + makou reactor tool floating around out there though that enables save-map editing which would allow for a reset on sources to be performed, but I'm unsure of the current status of that.

The Fort Condor guide appears in Cid's house, sitting in the green car in one of the side rooms.

Mideel had a AI check to set exp to 0 if the party was a fairly low level, basically because it was possible to reach Mideel's encounters using the Bronco. This then fell afoul of a change made to Level handling resulting in them always giving 0 EXP. It's something that's being resolved for the final build as the Level thing is getting retired.

Shadowquinn

• View Profile
« Reply #9004 on: 2020-03-08 13:38:56 »
Will it be worth restarting a game after your new version comes out? Like are you changing things, adding new things?. Cause as of right now this is a blast and not sure how you can top yourself.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9005 on: 2020-03-08 15:27:30 »
Will it be worth restarting a game after your new version comes out? Like are you changing things, adding new things?. Cause as of right now this is a blast and not sure how you can top yourself.

What you could do is, finish your current run on 1.5. Then if you feel like playing NT again in the future, try the Arrange Mode on the Final build; I've made some revisions to the events.

Maziac

• View Profile
« Reply #9006 on: 2020-03-08 16:06:52 »
Are you going to ditch the rank-up choices in 2.0? I remember you saying so earlier on this thread.

One thing that irks me while playing with no random encounters is that Cait Sith, Vincent and Cid join the party with 2 rank-ups available right off the bat, meanwhile Cloud has only gained 1 rank-up in the Mythril Mines and everyone else still sitting at 0.

Also, I ran into the Bizarro Sephiroth glitch, which someone made a thread about. Downloaded the installer you provided(not the IRO, cause I don't use 7th Heaven) but that didn't fix it. I tried it on different save files, both have used the phoenix down on disc 1, but the one which can't load the fight hasn't recruited Vincent.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9007 on: 2020-03-08 22:24:55 »
Are you going to ditch the rank-up choices in 2.0? I remember you saying so earlier on this thread.

One thing that irks me while playing with no random encounters is that Cait Sith, Vincent and Cid join the party with 2 rank-ups available right off the bat, meanwhile Cloud has only gained 1 rank-up in the Mythril Mines and everyone else still sitting at 0.

Also, I ran into the Bizarro Sephiroth glitch, which someone made a thread about. Downloaded the installer you provided(not the IRO, cause I don't use 7th Heaven) but that didn't fix it. I tried it on different save files, both have used the phoenix down on disc 1, but the one which can't load the fight hasn't recruited Vincent.

Not the choices, just the SP part of it. The ranks will unlock at set intervals and then you can go to a Save Point and pick what you want. The flat +5 to all stats will be removed however as natural stat growths have been re-introduced as well.

I thought the Bizarro bug was linked to Arrange mode, but from the sound of it may be related to character count. Although I think both should be using 1-party Bizarro now so not sure. Will need to have a look at it.

Maziac

• View Profile
« Reply #9008 on: 2020-03-09 00:01:30 »
Not the choices, just the SP part of it. The ranks will unlock at set intervals and then you can go to a Save Point and pick what you want. The flat +5 to all stats will be removed however as natural stat growths have been re-introduced as well.

I thought the Bizarro bug was linked to Arrange mode, but from the sound of it may be related to character count. Although I think both should be using 1-party Bizarro now so not sure. Will need to have a look at it.

Sounds good! Though it might be just a little too easy, currently I've been beating the game with Cloud rank 3, Tifa and Red rank 2, everyone at level 75ish by the end. 

And whoops, I forgot to specify that, yes, the save files are in Arrange mode. It's a 1 party fight but I still need to make up 3 parties.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-09 00:10:05 by Maziac »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9009 on: 2020-03-09 00:28:24 »
Sounds good! Though it might be just a little too easy, currently I've been beating the game with Cloud rank 3, Tifa and Red rank 2, everyone at level 75ish by the end. 

And whoops, I forgot to specify that, yes, the save files are in Arrange mode. It's a 1 party fight but I still need to make up 3 parties.

Ah I see, I'll try to fix this up again (and figure out how the issue got back in).

As far as difficulty goes, it's a bit of a tightrope to get it right. It started as a semi-hardcore mod and then shifted more toward a moderate level over time but will feel like one or the other sometimes; one of the goals of the final build is to start over to iron out the spikes and improve some of the fights. I'm also trying to make the step up from Normal to Arrange a bit heavier (but avoiding raising HP or defences).

Finalwolfix

• View Profile
« Reply #9010 on: 2020-03-09 11:37:28 »
I just want to check, near the end of the disk 2
Spoiler: show
will there be any way to return to fight The Curator if I finish the whole Return to Midgar thing without beating him? He seemed like a superboss the first time round and I'm curious if beating him without doing all the endgame item hunting before Return to Midgar is viable (stuff like getting the golden chocobo, materia caves etc.)  I only ask because I usually do all of this after reaching the crater, so I wonder if it's a good idea to do it before then.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9011 on: 2020-03-10 00:01:51 »
There's one more opportunity, through a sidequest on Disc 3. Go to the bottom of north crater (when party reunites) then head back to the surface. Visit Dio in the Gold Saucer's Battle Square (the museum where the Keystone was) to start it off.

Tonberry Manu

• View Profile
« Reply #9012 on: 2020-03-10 13:01:35 »
Hey Sega Chief,

Im having a little problem. After i enter the dark cave, I lose my master magic materia. Any ideas as to why and if i can fix it?
Sorry if this is covered already but I cant find any info related to this issue.

Thanks!

Edit: In fact, it's all the materia I had equipped to Aerith that is missing. I went back to an old save and removed everything from her and now everything is ok, so i suppose I can just run the cave again.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-10 13:09:06 by Tonberry Manu »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9013 on: 2020-03-10 18:51:11 »
Hey Sega Chief,

Im having a little problem. After i enter the dark cave, I lose my master magic materia. Any ideas as to why and if i can fix it?
Sorry if this is covered already but I cant find any info related to this issue.

Thanks!

Edit: In fact, it's all the materia I had equipped to Aerith that is missing. I went back to an old save and removed everything from her and now everything is ok, so i suppose I can just run the cave again.

Either it didn't clear her Materia when it set her to unavailable (which I thought it did by default) or you might have ran out of space in your main Materia inventory. If that happens, then a remove-all function carried out by the game will discard the Materia for which there is no space. Similar thing happens when new Materia is born, except it searches out Materia by index and replaces it (which is more confusing). If you're close to capacity in your Materia inventory then consider selling some on.

aawright

• View Profile
« Reply #9014 on: 2020-03-10 21:49:36 »
Hi Sega Chief,

Absolutely love the mod. I am having issues obtaining multi cut though. I have checked through the ancient forest. I went there on the gold chocobo before killing ultimate weapon first and cleared and couldn't find it (did not get a ho chu fight) and when I enter the last cave it simply exists the ancient forest. There is a chest before the last cave that have me a second apocalypse so I'm worried some items spawns went wrong. I tried killing ultimate weapon and then going back but no changes still no ho chu. I'm worried I messed something up by going early on the gold chocobo. If you know of anything I can do to fix or prevent it on another playthrough I'd appreciate it. Not looking forward to the end game stuff with no multi cut. Thanks! And again, absolutely awesome mod

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9015 on: 2020-03-10 22:57:33 »
Hi Sega Chief,

Absolutely love the mod. I am having issues obtaining multi cut though. I have checked through the ancient forest. I went there on the gold chocobo before killing ultimate weapon first and cleared and couldn't find it (did not get a ho chu fight) and when I enter the last cave it simply exists the ancient forest. There is a chest before the last cave that have me a second apocalypse so I'm worried some items spawns went wrong. I tried killing ultimate weapon and then going back but no changes still no ho chu. I'm worried I messed something up by going early on the gold chocobo. If you know of anything I can do to fix or prevent it on another playthrough I'd appreciate it. Not looking forward to the end game stuff with no multi cut. Thanks! And again, absolutely awesome mod

This is odd, it sounds like an older version. When starting a new game, does it report the version as 1.5? If it does say 1.5, then it might be an older build of it (there's been a lot of updates to 1.5 over time). My advice is to download the installer or IRO (depending on whether you're using 7th Heaven or not) from the first page of this thread and update your files with it/import it to your IRO library. Your save file should be fine as updates to 1.5 don't change the savemap.

Climhazzard

• View Profile
Is the Mythril Saber the only sword you can steal from Soldier 3rd on floor 67-68 of Shinra HQ before Sephiroth's attack?
I've stolen 22 Mythril Sabers so far, and I'm becoming very convinced that this is simply the replacement for the Hardedge here.
Is the spreadsheet under heavy reconstruction due to the latest overhaul of the mod?  I couldn't find any info on the Hardedge location(s) in the NT 1.5 Google SS, or with any of my many search engine queries thus far.

I love this mod so far, and I'm very grateful for all of the effort, time and love that's gone into it.  Just amazing, hats off, what a legend!  All the best.

seijuro

• View Profile
    • Top-notch Сasual Dating - Verified Females
« Reply #9017 on: 2020-03-11 03:08:29 »
Is there a morph, steal, enemy skilll list for this mod?

edit: nevermind, it's at the front of page 1  8)

edit edit: it's an incomplete list...:( is there a complete one?
« Last Edit: 2020-03-11 03:14:04 by seijuro »

aawright

• View Profile
« Reply #9018 on: 2020-03-11 03:11:15 »
It is definitely v1.5, installed using the new version of 7th heaven that came out recently (so convenient), but I started the game six months ago or so on an older version and had gotten to this point trying to find multi cut. I had stopped playing for a while and then reinstalled everything through 7th heavens new interface, but the save was from before that update, likely before the December update to new threat. I've tried updating with the most recent IRO posted and it is doing the same thing, maybe because the ancient forest is already complete in the save? I don't know if I should be seeing active changes like that when updating. Either way, thanks for the reply, may try and edit the save if i can figure it out or start a new game. If i start a new game though with this version I assume I won't have the issue.

Thanks for this mod! It has brought new life to a game I've loved since I was a kid. The full 7th heaven suite is more impressive than the remake coming out lol in large part from new threat. Awesome stuff

HautSaus

• View Profile
« Reply #9019 on: 2020-03-11 06:34:19 »
Have you taken the Abyss boss out? I never found him in the North Crater.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9020 on: 2020-03-11 15:08:06 »
Is the Mythril Saber the only sword you can steal from Soldier 3rd on floor 67-68 of Shinra HQ before Sephiroth's attack?
I've stolen 22 Mythril Sabers so far, and I'm becoming very convinced that this is simply the replacement for the Hardedge here.
Is the spreadsheet under heavy reconstruction due to the latest overhaul of the mod?  I couldn't find any info on the Hardedge location(s) in the NT 1.5 Google SS, or with any of my many search engine queries thus far.

I love this mod so far, and I'm very grateful for all of the effort, time and love that's gone into it.  Just amazing, hats off, what a legend!  All the best.

I think anything omitted from there tends to mean it can only be found through its vanilla shop. For Hardedge, Junon's weapon shop or the Gongaga Weapon shop (found by climbing a pole in one of the other shops) stock it.

Is there a morph, steal, enemy skilll list for this mod?

edit: nevermind, it's at the front of page 1  8)

edit edit: it's an incomplete list...:( is there a complete one?

Not at the moment unfortunately. Best bet is to download the tool Proud Clod (PrC) and open the game's modded scene.bin (data/battle or data/lang-en/battle; 7h IRO has it if you unpack it using the 7h workshop tools) and check enemy data directly that way for the time being.

It is definitely v1.5, installed using the new version of 7th heaven that came out recently (so convenient), but I started the game six months ago or so on an older version and had gotten to this point trying to find multi cut. I had stopped playing for a while and then reinstalled everything through 7th heavens new interface, but the save was from before that update, likely before the December update to new threat. I've tried updating with the most recent IRO posted and it is doing the same thing, maybe because the ancient forest is already complete in the save? I don't know if I should be seeing active changes like that when updating. Either way, thanks for the reply, may try and edit the save if i can figure it out or start a new game. If i start a new game though with this version I assume I won't have the issue.

Thanks for this mod! It has brought new life to a game I've loved since I was a kid. The full 7th heaven suite is more impressive than the remake coming out lol in large part from new threat. Awesome stuff

The only thing the save file stores is whether the chest was opened or not; if my IRO has the error (assuming the catalog IRO was disabled) then it'll need to be fixed there. No need to start a new game, I'll check it out tonight.

Have you taken the Abyss boss out? I never found him in the North Crater.

Did you by any chance do that boundary-break thing to open an inaccessible chest on the right-hand path in the crater? There was an oversight with that as they use the same variable.

Ryudo

• View Profile
« Reply #9021 on: 2020-03-12 12:40:01 »
Hi Sega Chief, just wanted to let you know I think your mod is the best gameplay mod.

I solved a problem with a bug in the game where the dialog with Sephiroth in the basement Shinra Mansion during the flashback scene, as well as some dialog in the Temple of Ancients, was not showing up using your mod, Tifa's 7H, and Menu Overhaul.

I figured the problem was with Menu Overhaul, so I tried the new "Enhanced Stock UI" mod which basically is an IRO that does the menu overhaul without all the other Reunion stuff, and can run off the FF7.exe rather than FF7_mo.exe or FF7_bc.exe.  Unfortunately, this mod also had the same bug with the dialog boxes disappearing after I activated it, so I messed with the settings in the "Enhanced Stock UI" mod and figured out the solution!

Turns out changing one of the settings in the Enhanced Stock UI fixes the issue entirely.  If you set the option for Field Dialog Text Style to "stock" rather than the default "Menu Overhaul with Digit Fixes" the text will show up in those scenes!

Seems the bug was a result of the field text alignment fixes in Menu Overhaul, which can be toggled off in the "Enhanced Stock UI."  There is a little more space between lines of dialog when this setting is on "stock," but the text is still crisp and pretty just like it is in Menu Overhaul mod, and there is no more missing dialog.

Regards,
Nate

Does this happen with Enhanced Stock UI-Rel2 as well? And if so, are those the only instances where it happens? Or are there more scenes where the dialogue is missing? I just reached the Slums part where you meet up with Aerith, but I don't think I noticed any missing dialogue yet so far. (Might be mistaken though).

@Sega Chief: Thanks for the amazing work on this mod so far! It's a nice refresher while I'm doing a new game again.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9022 on: 2020-03-12 14:04:21 »
Does this happen with Enhanced Stock UI-Rel2 as well? And if so, are those the only instances where it happens? Or are there more scenes where the dialogue is missing? I just reached the Slums part where you meet up with Aerith, but I don't think I noticed any missing dialogue yet so far. (Might be mistaken though).

@Sega Chief: Thanks for the amazing work on this mod so far! It's a nice refresher while I'm doing a new game again.

The only scene that's ever been reported is the one during the Nibelheim Flashback when Sephiroth is in the lab reading the books; when you initially enter, the 'X Year X Month X Day' dialogues don't display for some reason. There doesn't appear to be any special behaviour as far as opcodes go with this script so why it only specifically happens there is a bit of a mystery. The dialogue boxes purportedly open but then close almost immediately.

I'm told that it doesn't happen with the stock option, only the menu overhaul option.

jamineal

• View Profile
« Reply #9023 on: 2020-03-12 17:06:09 »
Is there ever a second enemy skill materia? I would imagine not, as it's just too much power for one mortal to handle.

I know a crapload of things changed. I was wondering about damage formulas. Does Chocobuckle still scale with strength and how many times you've ran? Or is it just a low cost wind spell?

Are some boss morphs truly missable? I failed the brass dragon morph by 8 hp, pretty salty about it. I can't remember what the item was, but it hurts to miss.

Also, d*ck move on using quarry fuse vs Jenova degen.

Quick edit: By that, I of course meant that I loved it.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-12 17:08:49 by jamineal »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9024 on: 2020-03-12 22:09:46 »
Is there ever a second enemy skill materia? I would imagine not, as it's just too much power for one mortal to handle.

I know a crapload of things changed. I was wondering about damage formulas. Does Chocobuckle still scale with strength and how many times you've ran? Or is it just a low cost wind spell?

Are some boss morphs truly missable? I failed the brass dragon morph by 8 hp, pretty salty about it. I can't remember what the item was, but it hurts to miss.

Also, d*ck move on using quarry fuse vs Jenova degen.

Quick edit: By that, I of course meant that I loved it.

There's only one E. Skill I'm afraid, I figured that would be a good way to balance it a bit.

Damage Formulas mostly behave as they did but some attacks use different ones; Chocobuckle uses a standard magic-based damage formula to serve as a low-level wind spell.

None of the Morphs themselves are missable, you can get everything at the end.

I forgot about that quarry fuse thing; when it was Lv5 Suicide, I was told that it worked on Jenova BIRTH by mistake so rather than remove it I set up the second one to react to L5 Suicide instead.