Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3008559 times)

[email protected]

• View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: 2017-10-24 16:06:30 »
« Last Edit: 2019-05-06 12:05:39 by Cicciolo »

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R05c)
« Reply #3926 on: 2017-10-24 16:33:41 »
Thanks!  8) And it is.  And I do try to be diplomatic - but I'm simply not cut out for it.  And my strength is telling it as it is.  Not good for PR.  But it gets harder when it's the exact same questions about non dialogue over and over.  And when the help file AND first post both point to an insanely long database that was largely constructed to STOP those questions.  People come in and they start with "Love your mod...."  and it turns to "But I want A B C D E F G changing, because I don't like the change."  The above person was pleasant enough, but they said they'd discuss their problems with reason - then proceeded to show they hadn't read the database or help file or any of this thread - and had just dreamt up that we change things because we like to.  When that's totally not the case.  I mean, the example of Aqua Breath is a total face palm.  I know I'm coming across harsh and direct... but that's who I am - and those kinds of "feedback" from people do not make me any more diplomatic or "nice". hahaha!

And I also got blamed for their save menu loading longer.  :evil:  :-P
I just stopped responding to most of them. The big thing for me was how many hours, days, weeks and months I've spent to try and create an easier process for everyone. That largely included all the Q&A and FAQ I created after releases. But it went largely ignored by new users who come to the forums looking for personal help on matters that are already posted countless times. Not true for everyone of course, but unfortunately I've grown so tired that they get lumped into one group that I just ignore.

I really enjoy helping others, but everyone has their limits :(

"Telling it like it is" - unfortunately different perspectives sometimes see things differently.  Having said that, I do want to say that I've NEVER seen you (DLPB) "Tell it like it is" from your perspective without first doing EXTENSIVE and sometimes completely exhausting research to ensure that your perspective has serious thought, consideration, and is as thorough as possible.  Your attention to detail has been incredibly inspiring to the creation/distribution of my own mods, and led me to include readme's, install instructions, etc. to try and have a place where resolutions to problems are easily and readily available.
Your attention to detail also gives you a lot less tolerance for those people who don't, which is completely understandable, but most 'users' are not detail oriented at all.  How to solve this?  I have a few ideas, but there's always the people that come back with the same questions over and over, whom don't bother to read the information that's readily available.  This is why customer service exists.  I've done a lot of customer service work in my life, and the one thing that I keep coming back to over and over again is that people will avoid inconvenience at all possible costs.  This means that if they have to open a readme, and then have to read more than a sentence or two of it in order to follow a link or a process that leads them to another location (git/wiki/externaldocs) that they will most likely never bother to read it... even  experienced users will avoid these hurdles.  Not only that, you can actually reduce crime/theft dramatically by merely placing inconveniences in the way of the criminals.  As soon as extra in-depth thought has to enter the path of 'gimme', people will sometimes inconvenience -themselves- in weird ways rather than let them be inconvenienced by others.
I try to solve this by having detailed instructions on every download page, readme/instruction files in the download, extensive forum disucussions (people don't like sifting through forums... even though all of their answers are there/here), and also having a 'Troubleshooting' section on my Steam Guide, since I'm pretty sure people never even read the forum threads of the downloads and most just click download links and THEN try to figure out how to install since it's not always self-explanatory.  There is even a whole aspect of sociology that focuses on this concept of the 'norman door'.
I have my limits, too.  If someone isn't willing to help themselves, I will not bother to do more than direct them to the forums/faq/troubleshooting.  Other people, I do my best to assist - but I don't have time in my day for most of these kinds of issues.  A lot of them could be solved by a not-so-extensive google search, but that's the world of human interaction.  Many many people in this world don't know how to solve their own problems... especially when technology is involved.  I don't know if there's a real solution - I just try to make the information as easy to access as possible.

Thank you for all of your dedication and hard work -- The Reunion really is a work of art.
Also - thank you BOTH for all of the inspiration.  Without it, my FF8 mods wouldn't be the quality that they are (not that they don't still need work lol).

Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: 2017-10-24 17:28:54 »
4chan is a cancer site made by retards for retards, i hope they're the next to fall after NeoGAF.

Lol I just wanted to say the same, there's a reason 4chan is commonly known as the "Sewer of the internet", and the people there are hardly qualified to judge a project of this scale in any way. In fact, they have shown time and time again that they can't have an intelligent conversation about anything, so never mistake 4chan posts as public opinion.

There are people like us, who more than appreciate the fact that someone is willing to pick up the missing pieces and complete the work that greedy publishers or the like prevented from being finished properly.

Ver Greeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: 2017-10-24 19:30:23 »
Eh, there are intelligent and/or nice people on 4chan, but because it's anonymous (rather than pseudonymous) there's no way to ignore the people who just want to be a d*ck. It makes it hard to see the site as anything other than a collective of assholes.
« Last Edit: 2017-10-24 19:31:54 by Ver Greeneyes »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: 2017-10-25 01:36:28 »
I'd just settle for them to finally look at the dialogue changes haha.  And thanks, Mcindus.

rotschleim

• View Profile
« Reply #3930 on: 2017-10-29 09:22:40 »
People come in and they start with "Love your mod...."  and it turns to "But I want A B C D E F G changing, because I don't like the change."
Hey DLPB! Love your mod, but can you start everything over from scratch because I don't like some things?

:P

I was one of those people at one time; now that I've figured out how to change what I want on my own, (Which I think amounted to changing the spell names how I like, and changing Mithril to Mythril...?) I really don't care about anything you guys name that doesn't adhere to official English Final Fantasy terms, since I can alter it myself if I dislike it. The fact that there are selectors for American English vs. British English, and Canon Terms vs. Proper Terms in the installer is good enough on my end, and honestly, it's more than I would do. Simply altering minor pieces of text in a PC game isn't hard, and I don't understand why people act like it is.

I came in here to enjoy a comprehensible FFVII script, and that's why I've been supporting The Reunion for so long. Thanks everyone for all your hard work, and I hope to be playing R06 by May 2018. :) (No pressure though, believe me--I get having to push release dates back further...)

I know I'm coming across harsh and direct... but that's who I am - and those kinds of "feedback" from people do not make me any more diplomatic or "nice". hahaha!
I've actually thought a lot about your words here--I'm a modder myself, going by the name of vivify93 on RHDN and TiresomeTeddybear on Steam. I used to bow to what anyone said and do what they requested, but I think I'm going to take that mentality more into mind.

"This is not a diplomacy, it's my mod and I'm going to do what I want with it. If you don't like a text change, change it back. The tools exist and it's not difficult by any interpretation of the word."
« Last Edit: 2017-10-29 09:27:00 by rotschleim »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: 2017-10-29 11:39:15 »
Thanks :) R06 will definitely be out by then, but I am hoping R07 (finalized for retranslation) will be by then too.  Charlie Beer is still ploughing through the Japanese proof check :) We're getting there.

rotschleim

• View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: 2017-11-02 08:03:54 »
Is R06 just going to be technical updates, then, and R07 is going to have the finalized translation with Mr. Beer's refinements? Sorry for asking a dumb question.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: 2017-11-02 21:35:07 »
R06 is all progress so far. Look at TheReunion Database. 

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: 2017-11-03 02:20:30 »
Yeah, I never have to touch this scene ever again!

#xy 104 72
Rufus
“I hear Sephiroth was on board?”
------------------------------
#xy 224 96
Heidegger
“…Yes.”
#xy 104 72
Rufus
“And it seems {CLOUD}
  and the others were
  as well?”
#xy 96 72
Rufus
“They all slipped through.
  This is a total disgrace,
  Heidegger.”
#xy 176 72
Heidegger
“Sorry.
  I’m… ashamed of myself.”
#xy 104 72
Rufus
“I’m growing tired
  of your apologies.”
#xy 150 64
Rufus
“You’d better start doing something.
  I’ll be expecting results.”
« Last Edit: 2017-11-03 05:53:39 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: 2017-11-03 04:22:41 »
Little things get noticed too.  Charlie spotted missing dialogue (bolded):

“I heard it… That big dog…
  It talks like a human!”{NEW}
“‘Grandpa,I’m so warm.’
  That’s what he said!
  It was sooo weird!

and one of my faves

-----------------------------
Butch
“I should probably just hire
  some feisty,young girl.
  Take it easy.”
Butch
“The cutie working here part-
  time has been a godsend.”
Butch
“She took me for a ride—
  that girl I hired.{NEW}
“Ran off with all the takings.
  And the materia.”{NEW}
“I guess if something seems
  too good to be true,that’s
  because it is!”{NEW}
“Well,feel free to have a look.
  …At what’s left anyway.”
« Last Edit: 2017-11-03 04:34:47 by DLPB »

Matski

• View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: 2017-11-03 16:14:56 »
Had to do a second take on the "She took me for a ride" line after taking it too literally the first time. Well, hopefully Yuffie hasn't got a vehicle she's been keeping secret from the party. :o

On a more serious note, I've recently been following a streamer who has been using the mod. I haven't caught up with all his progress yet but neither of us have noticed any big mistakes with the text so far. Bizzarely, he hadn't heard of the phrase 'looking out for number one' (as spoken by the District 5 weapon seller) but I imagine most people using the mod will have.

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this but there have been some notable issues with the Kal's models. As you can see here, Cloud's model is holding his Buster Sword while he is lying on the bed at his mom's house. This happens during the flashback while staying at Aerith's house and during the Kalm flashback.

Also, it seems Elmina is missing a command to turn to face Barret during this scene if the player talks to her beforehand.

Apologies in advance if these errors have already been accounted for or if they turn out to be unique to the streamer.
« Last Edit: 2017-11-03 21:06:19 by Matski »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: 2017-11-03 16:30:06 »
The Cloud issue with buster sword is being fixed piece by piece.  I've already sorted the issue you mention.  The last issue is one I haven't seen before and will look into it.

Matski

• View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: 2017-11-04 17:44:59 »
That's good to hear. There was a problem with the link for the last issue that has now been fixed.

Since catching up with the streamer I may have some additional issues with the models to raise but I need to refer to the spreadsheet first. Should any further issues regarding field models be posted in the 'Big Bug...' thread or here?

vkthor

• View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: 2017-11-04 18:01:35 »
Thanks for your work on all the mods.
I wanted to come back to ff7 after not having played it for years and specially after reading the kotaku articles about the poor translation, so I appreciate very much your work in that regard.
I wanted to donate but both the OP link and the paypal link in the help doc you included in R05 are down. Looking forward to your fix there.
Cheers!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: 2017-11-04 18:38:51 »
Kaldarasha's thread.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: 2017-11-04 22:27:59 »
OP link and the paypal link in the help doc you included in R05 are down.

Thanks for notifying me.  I have no idea how that's happened.

https://goo.gl/US5MY3

renegadeofunk

• View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: 2017-11-05 17:30:36 »
Hello. Thanks for the great mod compilation! I was wondering if there's a transcript of Beacause for download somewhere. I'd like to see the other gold saucer date dialogues without having to play through 3 more times :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: 2017-11-05 19:20:22 »
Simply install again - or install to dummy folder - and do not end the installation when completed.  Navigate to dlpb-mods folder in root and copy the text files.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: 2017-11-11 09:02:10 »
Kaldarasha's thread.

I created a channel on discord. Might help to keep in contact. https://discord.gg/CWAq6w9
« Last Edit: 2017-11-12 12:00:54 by Kaldarasha »

basmith7

• View Profile
« Reply #3945 on: 2017-11-16 07:19:39 »
Installation question.

I have the steam version of FFVII. Do I need to run the game converter? Should I use the converter from the first page of this post (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14047.0) or the one from the 7th Heaven post? After the mod installs, which exe do I launch?

Sorry if I am missing something easy. Thanks for this project.

Ark14

• View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: 2017-11-17 10:13:36 »
I'm trying to translate the exe to another language but when a encode it shows a bunch like this:

Line 118 [0_ff7.exe.txt]: 4294967284 char(s) too long.
Line 224 [0_ff7.exe.txt]: 1 char(s) too long.

I find the lines and edit then but nothing change in the log.

I don't know if the version of  touphScript works for R05c. But most of the links are down.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: 2017-11-18 09:33:10 »
Wrong thread for it. I am also not the author of tS.  The problem is self explanatory.  The entries you have for those lines are larger than what is allowed.  I placed the newest link near the end of the ts thread.

Ark14

• View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: 2017-11-19 01:29:13 »
The problem is self explanatory.

Noted. Yeah that's what i posted here, because a saw that you upload it... just did not know if that one works for R05c, because the folder says 1.3.1 but the program shows as 1.2.9.

The thing is that is that no matter if there is just 1 letter/number in the line, still gives an error.  So that's what i'm thinking is something else. Anyways thanks for answering and the mod.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: 2017-11-19 13:46:31 »
Girls and work are interfering, but I will have this update out one way or another soon enough.  Today I've looked at correcting one final music and have rerecorded around 10 effects that I didn't do correctly first time around.  Charlie beer and I are making v good progress with proof check.

It's coming together.