Author Topic: [FF7PC] Arks Fields *Beta* (Process Update 26/04/19)  (Read 17579 times)

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC] Arks Fields *Beta* (1.0 Preview scenes added)
« Reply #25 on: 2019-04-26 12:40:06 »
Devised a new ESRGAN Prefilter that is less damaging to detail yet smoother than WAIFU prefilter.

After some consideration due to the increase in workload that comes with it I decided to apply it selectively to keep highest possible precision intact for areas that dont need filtering. Its a bit of a slower process but it feels worth it to me.

WiP Comparision Image: https://imgsli.com/MzM4NQ
Affected on this map: bathroom clutter, some walls, couches, pillows/bed headlight, mirror, flower-table corner, bottom end of stairs and large window light

Hope you like it; Ill keep relevant updates coming.
Cheers.
It's definitely interesting, but I'm honestly not sold... the bathroom, for example, looks genuinely better (the tub no longer has a crescent scar, while the toilet pedestal and seat are finished like you'd expect of a 300k gil seaside villa), but others are losing detail and turning more 'oil painting' in look (three areas in particular: the wood grain, window grid, and plant at the top of the stairs, the pillow/sheet creasing on the left bed, and the privacy screen between the entrance and dining table).  Obviously personal preference type items, and just my two pence.

Manakaiser

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC] Arks Fields *Beta* (Process Update 26/04/19)
« Reply #26 on: 2019-04-26 13:29:38 »
Oh no worries this whole pack overall is very specific in general and the more i work on it the more it gets tailored to my specific personal preference, so i can see your point of view but Ill just mention that the windows and the areas around the lights look very different with the overlaying ingame lighting which are the areas you mentioned, this was less to show off the end result and more focused on the general capabilities of the prefilter and route of manual application I decided to take, so I started playing with it on this field even though Its not one that specifically needed it alot.
But i can see that a comparision with other upscale mods on maps where it makes more of a fake detail removing difference would have probably made more sense. I decided to refrain from doing any inter-mod comparisons before this update is finished though.
The one thing I actually might agree with is the window screen, my main issue with the non filtered one is the grainyness in some areas of it but yeah this whole thing isnt final anyway :P   

Ill post ingame ss a bit later.

Cheers for the feedback nonetheless.
« Last Edit: 2019-04-26 20:23:08 by Manakaiser »

Manakaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2019-04-27 15:23:28 »
Incorporated some of the feedback and did some other changes.
Please consider that this is still very much WiP but it shows what im trying to do and im done for today/this WE due to time contraints ;/

https://imgsli.com/MzQwOQ

Just a bit of an experiment obviously as It would take forevery to do this for every Field but ill try to do it for the ones with areas that have highly problematic AI upsclaing areas (which sadly arent down to models and present in all ESRGAN upscales due to source fields)
Hope you like it, Cheers.

« Last Edit: 2019-04-27 15:29:26 by Manakaiser »

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
« Reply #28 on: 2019-04-27 15:41:25 »
i'll look for it ^^

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2019-04-27 17:03:01 »
I didn't even realize it on the last run, but the dresser next to the bed doesn't look as if someone slammed their head into it and dented it anymore :D  The privacy screen and large window also look better, too :)

tracido

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2019-05-05 00:08:05 »
I'm using your updates with Satsuki's /char folder in 7th Heaven, the only thing that started causing crashes was the old audio & this is the most enjoyment I've had playing this game in nearly 20 years.. Tsuna released an update that made all those audio issues go away for now and I'll be even happier when the audio is updated from R6..

Thanks to everyone here from before and those still working on the game like this together.

« Last Edit: 2019-05-05 00:10:04 by tracido »

Fewtch

• All good things in time
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #31 on: 2019-05-29 07:03:33 »
Can you post your configuration? I'm upscaling some video and I'd like to do a comparison between this and Gigapixel AI.

PetrucciJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2019-06-09 09:11:37 »
I think other Field Model mods had this problem, but at the Northern Crater where you have to pass through the windy gaps, the "barrier" that keeps crossing the screen so you can time it right and pass through is glitchy, making it basically impossible to proceed unless you turn the mod off. At least in my experience. Has anyone else had that problem?

Manakaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2019-06-09 09:20:17 »
Please use satsukis fields instead, this beta has zero bugfixing and a good chunk of the fields look terrible due to no manual oversight. i have moved back to FF8 fields so the the full release has been delayed indefinitely.

PetrucciJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2019-06-09 09:30:04 »
I am pretty sure Satsuki's had the exact same problem back in 2017 when I first tried them. Maybe there is an updated version I am not aware about, but I shall take your word for it.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: 2019-06-09 10:53:08 »
Please use satsukis fields instead, this beta has zero bugfixing and a good chunk of the fields look terrible due to no manual oversight. i have moved back to FF8 fields so the the full release has been delayed indefinitely.

Should I remove this from the Catalog 3.0 update? It's currently in and will probably release within a week.

Manakaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2019-06-09 13:18:42 »
Id say so thanks for asking, since ive started working on 1.0 and seeing the stark contrast/ improvement between the fields ive completed and the ones in this ive come more and more to the conclusion that this is just too beta to warrant being used in its state. I guess public betas for stuff like this dont really make sense considering how pivotal of an impact on the gaming experience they have.

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
« Reply #37 on: 2019-06-09 15:19:51 »
I am pretty sure Satsuki's had the exact same problem back in 2017 when I first tried them. Maybe there is an updated version I am not aware about, but I shall take your word for it.
2017 version was the waifu one.
The new 2009 version is final and esrgan based, way better quality than 2007 waifu's one : http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=18661.0 this is currently the only bugfree final version done with modern "IA" uspcaling (as the Remako is full of bug, not constant in quality, and as a lots of unoptimised files).

I'll works on a V4 version in some weeks, and it'll be based mainly on 2 filtering methods Manakaiser does with this Ark release (and he kindly shared to me as he's working on this great FF8 fields pack ATM) + my own v3 works, so each field will be composed of a manual assembly (+overlaying) of 3 filtering methods + hand correction of special part (mainly written parts).

So the V4 will be an "ArkTsuki" field pack but as i want it as bugfree as possible, i'll take some months to be done.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-09 15:31:25 by satsuki »

PetrucciJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2019-06-09 15:56:38 »
Oh my bad. The catalog still lists the 2017 version and that stuff's pretty hard to find. Thanks!