Author Topic: What are all the XA format files from the FF7 PSX disk (disk 1)  (Read 5553 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
I getting hung up on my q-gears installer because I keep trying to copy the XA encoded files and it's crashing the install.

Which files are the ones I should avoid so I can copy the rest of the  disk correctly to the hard drive?

Most of the .mov and .str files are XA, but others are hideing out too. I need to make an exclution list for my installer so those aren't copied (for now)

G

• , kupo.
    • View Profile
only *.MOV files are in XA format.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
nope,..
files like "movies/Opening.bin" as also in XA format... that's what's crashing the installer. I need to know all those little uncopyable files are...

Actually I should be saying "mode 2"

Cyberman

• View Profile
I'll find out for you if you want Halkun.  Might be an interesting but long list.

I would say in about 4 hours I can tell you as I am supposed to be working today (damnit).

Cyb

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
I kind of don't need it anymore. The installer comes with an "exclude list" that lists the files not to install. In the future I can remove a file from the exclude list if it's copyable and we need it.

Cyberman

• View Profile
That's cool I have a little utility that can list files there locations and mode they are recorded in. It provides an interesting look at the FF7 disk that is a certainty.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
You know, working with the files directly makes a lot more sense. If we just copy all of the files to a hard drive via an installer, we don't have to muck about with the device dependant ways all computers read the data off the disk.

This will work better with embedded devices too...

All we have to do then is write a device-dependent extractor. Now we can work with good old fashoned file streams and no more mucking about with abstaction layers.

Think about it.. Even with FF8. Even though it's a big blob, we can still write an extracter that will install the files on to the hard drive. They might not have filenames, but I bet... I *BET*... the old file names for the FF8 field files are in there like in FF7. We might not be able to extract all of the names, but a good deal can be reconstructed.

I just realized that the only Final Fantasy games missing out of my collection is 8 and 9

Guspaz

• View Profile
But, are you ever going to get data from the MODE2 sections copied with just regular file copies? You're going to need an abstraction layer at least for each platform anyhow, no?

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
have the installer do the copying. That's pretty much it. One intall routine (or utility) for each platfrom.

Cyberman

• View Profile
So your idea is to use whatever backend is convienent for the particlar platform?

Cyb

Micky

• View Profile
I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to write a "cdcopy <source> <dest>" command-line utility that the installer can use. You can share the code that walks the ISO filesystem between platforms, and just need to write a function "write sectors x-y in normal/xa mode to file". Damn, let's see if I manage to write something like that for MacOS tonight. (Even if MacOS isn't a supported platform, yet. :) )

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Yea, I think that removes a layer of complexity for Q-gears, and allows it to be just an engine. A simple fopen (ow whatever you call it in c++) makes things much more simple.

Micky

• View Profile
What is the official way to decide if a sector is form1 or form2?

Cyberman

• View Profile
Depends on the ioctl commands you have available technically.

You might want to look at Peops CDR plugin for the Playstation as a reference.

Cyb