Author Topic: Problem installing FF7  (Read 20549 times)

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Problem installing FF7
« Reply #25 on: 2004-04-20 19:04:57 »
What you do is go to the registry and change the all your paths to point  to your local folders.
Then change the Data Drive to C:\
Then label your drive as FF7DISC1 etc according to the right disc and it should load fine

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
Problem installing FF7
« Reply #26 on: 2004-04-20 21:20:08 »
Perhaps the UK or US version of FF7 isn't supposed to work on a Japanese/Chinese(im sorry i don't know to much about geography, thats whyu im doing History for GCSES :P )

The same way that the lesser know FF8 Desktop acessories wont work on a non japanese windows system....

Just a thought...you know

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
Problem installing FF7
« Reply #27 on: 2004-04-21 15:29:11 »
....isn't that install menu thing, an autoload menu?

I don't remember, too much about the installation of FF7, but most games skip the autoload menu, if you type "setup" in windows.

That usually activates the install directly. Could be that the Autoload menu is broken or something. Typing, 'setup', may kick start the install program.

zxloy

Help help help
« Reply #28 on: 2004-04-25 03:10:50 »
I reinstalled everything.. smoothly..
check the registry..
everything seem good..

but everytime i run the game all i get is the black screen and after pressing 'esc' do i get the 'New game', 'Continue' screen.

starting a new game do not show me any vids also.
izizt my video card problem?

wat solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Nori

• View Profile
!!!
« Reply #29 on: 2004-04-25 03:54:34 »
Ask Sephiroth 3D
He used to have a similar problem(s)...

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
Problem installing FF7
« Reply #30 on: 2004-04-26 15:13:35 »
The only things that I know of, is to install the upsidedown patch, and to play the game off of the same cdrom that you installed off of. Because, the path of where the moves are grabbed from are saved in the registery

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
Problem installing FF7
« Reply #31 on: 2004-04-27 07:21:57 »
Hmmm...could this be linked to the reason I can't play the movies straight from the disc in winamp? all I get is a black screen -_-. .WMP is fine and so is the game...just winamp doesn't like me...hehe

Also, You ARE using official discs arn't you?

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Problem installing FF7
« Reply #32 on: 2004-04-27 20:02:15 »
Darkdevil: Get the upside down patch.  Oddly enough, it SHOULD let you play the movies in winamp.  It's not really a patch for the game, it's just updated codecs.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Problem installing FF7
« Reply #33 on: 2004-04-27 20:29:30 »
Got your PM. All due respects to Nori, I've never had this problem.

My problems have always been about the game crashing after the initial loading of a savegame or a new game.

I wish I could help more, but I'm running win2k, so how my OS deals with problems is different, and every other suggestion I could of made has already been mentioned.

Sorry I couldn't help more...

Mage246

• View Profile
Problem installing FF7
« Reply #34 on: 2004-05-11 18:38:58 »
I have the same problem as this guy with installation, but I'm trying to get around it using the method described. However, the .reg file is no longer availible, so I can't create the right registry entries for the game. Also, I tried running the movie patch so I could get the right codecs, but that doesn't seem to work. Is there some sort of problem with old isntallation programs and Windows XP? That seems to be the core problem for my installation, anyway, and the patch file is an exe, too. It could just be that the program is looking for registry entries I don't have, so I'm hoping that someone can host the file so I can check it out.

Also, I used to have the game installed on my computer before, back when it was running Windows 98, but I uninstalled it a long time ago. So, the discs I have definately work, and it seems to be a problem with XP. I still have some residual registry entries left over from my old installation, and I don't want to delete them until i can get replacement entries (just in case I can modify existing ones to make it work).

Thanks alot, BTW, I've been looking all over the Net, and this is the one place that has actually suggested any useful solutions to the problem. I would've tried the manual install myself, but I wanted to get an outside opinion/outside help first.

Mage246

• View Profile
Problem installing FF7
« Reply #35 on: 2004-05-11 21:10:34 »
Something else that's interesting.... according to my Task Manager, whenever I try to run the install program it runs an NTVDM.exe, which is apparently the NT Virtual Mahcine program. I'm running WIndows XP... why is it trying to use an NT program? Maybe someone here know a little bit more about this.

Synergy Blades

Problem installing FF7
« Reply #36 on: 2004-05-11 21:48:59 »
Well... XP is NT5.1, so I guess it is an NT program.  :) ntvdm.exe starts up when a 16-bit process needs to run, and so I would assume the installation program is also 16-bit.

JPWest

• View Profile
Problem installing FF7
« Reply #37 on: 2004-05-11 22:10:01 »
for the movie path in the registry, im quite sure you need to have a \ at the end of the specified path... also spaces are fine in  the path (i know as mine works).  If the movies still don't run with the latest codec and the moviepath as i have said (eg: "c:\program files\final fantasy 7\data\movies\" without the quotes) then i havent the faintest idea.

Mage246

• View Profile
Problem installing FF7
« Reply #38 on: 2004-05-12 00:21:34 »
Well, it's good to know that I have the right Virtual DOS Machine installed :), but I'm still thinking that it might be part of the problem. After all, after running the install program, it loads up ntvdm.exe, and even after nothing happens (meaning that the system does not proceed any further than a waiting cursor which then reverts to normal) this program remains, until I end it manually. In fact, if I try to run the install program again, it will spawn another ntvdm.exe, with the same end result, except now I have 2 copies of the program open, doing nothing (using no CPU, but taking up RAM, obviously to keep the program open).

Another thing I've thought about: Installshield. I've been looking around, trying to figure out if the reason I can't install is because there is something wrong with my InstallShield driver, and I thought I'd finally found something that could fix it, but it didn't pan out. I found a section of the InstallShield support area that dealt with getting an updated version of the program. This page described various solutions for the different versions of the program that were not working, such as one entry which would say: For versions starting with 6: Do This. However, even though the list went from 6-9 and from 2.0 down, there was no entry describing the version that FF7 uses: 5.0. Is this the problem? This file verison is no longer supported? Or maybe it isn't, this might be a blind alley, since it might just mean that this version is supported by all versions of the program.

Again, I'm hoping someone out there has the registry file that someone else mentioned in this post, so I can sidestep the isntall program and do it manually.

Mage246

• View Profile
Problem installing FF7
« Reply #39 on: 2004-05-12 00:33:46 »
BTW, I copied the files to a folder, and I can get ff7config to work, but when I try to run the game, it goes to black screen then exits. I know I've seen this problem posted before, and I know that (maybe) the way to solve it is to use the video patch, but for some reason that didn't work, and I'm wonering if that might be because I don't have the correct registry entries.

Also, I found this, which could be significant, on Eidos support website. Not quite sure how to implement it in XP though:

Final Fantasy VII - Installation Problems - Errors -113, -105, -115 or -117
I get an error -113 or -105 when trying to install the game.

"Your CD-ROM drive and system is probably running the game in MS-DOS compatibility mode. You need to check Control Panels ??> System ??> Performance. Check File System it needs to be 32-bit. If it is 16 bit then you are running in DOS compatibility mode and need to contact your hardware manufacturer on how to get your system out of MS-DOS compatibility."

Rubicant

• View Profile
Problem installing FF7
« Reply #40 on: 2004-05-12 00:52:58 »
I don't know if registry entires will hurt FF7's operations to that degree. However, you can have this copy of the registry I use to reinstall FF7 (dog chewed up my install disc).

Here it is: FF7.reg

It works if FF7 is installed in "C:\program files\final fantasy VII\"
The movies will have to be located in "C:\program files\final fantasy VII\movies", but you can change that if you run the movies off the CD. Good luck.

Mage246

• View Profile
Problem installing FF7
« Reply #41 on: 2004-05-12 01:07:21 »
Haha! Success! I had to do some fiddling with the registry file yous upplied, but now I've reached the New Game screen! Still haven't resolved my installation problem, but at elast this takes off some of the urgency.

Mage246

• View Profile
Problem installing FF7
« Reply #42 on: 2004-05-12 06:58:00 »
Everything is working in-game so far, no errors. Up to Shinra HQ :)

Mage246

• View Profile
Problem installing FF7
« Reply #43 on: 2004-05-14 23:30:29 »
Well, had my first and only error so far :) It appears I'll need the Chocobo Race patch after all.

Nori

• View Profile
Hello
« Reply #44 on: 2004-05-15 03:52:57 »
Hello Mage246,
Quote from: Forum Rules
Don't make consecutive posts,
just edit your most recent one if you have something new to say,
unless someone else has made a new post in the same thread since then.

Forum rules (newbies read) (NVM ^^; No More Rules...)