Author Topic: Unreal Development Kit  (Read 6306 times)

megaknight

• View Profile
Unreal Development Kit
« on: 2009-12-27 23:54:11 »
Wow... I can't believe that epic did this, and it makes me so very very happy. In case you didn't know, the unreal development kit (UDK) is the unreal engine 3 used to make games such as gears of war, unreal tournament 3, mirrors edge, bioshock and many others, and it has been made available to the public for game development. You cannot make retail games, unless you pay epic games royalties.It is very simple, yet extremely powerful.

steven

• View Profile
Re: Unreal Development Kit
« Reply #1 on: 2009-12-28 04:09:19 »
Wow... I can't believe that epic did this, and it makes me so very very happy. In case you didn't know, the unreal development kit (UDK) is the unreal engine 3 used to make games such as gears of war, unreal tournament 3, mirrors edge, bioshock and many others, and it has been made available to the public for game development. You cannot make retail games, unless you pay epic games royalties.It is very simple, yet extremely powerful.

That is rather cool to do. Now I wonder how long till ppl start releasing some free games developed with it. Or if it can anyway work with any of the FFVII projects going on

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-12-30 20:22:00 »
I wonder what would be the point of using the qgears engine if there is a free engine out there...Then again I don't know much but if your worried about copyright issues someone could always say it was a pitch for a game on PSN or for square enix. But using the unreal engine to create your own FF7 game might just attract the wrong crowd...

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-12-31 01:28:41 »
using the unreal engine to develop an RPG would be an immense task, the engine was developed for FPSs. The qgears project is focused on making a RPG engine, so it's much better suited to the job.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-12-31 02:03:19 »
using the unreal engine to develop an RPG would be an immense task, the engine was developed for FPSs. The qgears project is focused on making a RPG engine, so it's much better suited to the job.

This, and qgears natively supports ff7 file formats or at least where lacking, it can convert to something usable (from what i can tell, dont quote me on this).
Unfortunately, the only place Akari has been vocal about qgears circa the last year has been in the SVN :( (good god hes fast)

hypothetical FF7 in the unreal engine reminds me of Avalanche
http://www.telefragged.com/thefatal/ava/
*shudders*

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-12-31 03:30:08 »

But the unreal engine 3 was used in many rpgs magna carta 2 and a buncha other XBOX360 games can't think of the names now...

InuRa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-12-31 15:11:47 »

But the unreal engine 3 was used in many rpgs magna carta 2 and a buncha other XBOX360 games can't think of the names now...

The Last Remnant
:)

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-12-31 15:24:13 »
UE3 was also used in Lost Odyssey.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-01-02 03:08:02 »
Borderlands (although an FPS RPG hybrid) also uses UE3, as does Mass effect 1 and 2

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-01-04 11:09:50 »
I'm really excited to see some u3 based games myself.  In recent years, it feels like the modding scene is not flourishing as it once did.  One big reason is the increasing complexity of modern games.  It's nice to see developers like Valve, Epic, and Stardock provide tools for content creation.  As for Q-Gears, there is no reason to make it something it is not.  Q-Gears is a huge project and shouldn't divert from it's goal.  The ability to play the square jrpgs on modern systems and to create new jrpgs in the style of them.  If it's the Unreal 3 engine eye candy people are interested in, the OGRE graphics engine can handle it.  As Akari and halkun have mentioned in the past, the importance is to complete the reverse engineering for a completed engine, and the flashy graphics can come later. :-)

I would like to see a FF7 project similar to Devil May Cry or Dynasty Warriors play style.  That could suit the UE3 engine well.  Lets just hope Square could let some projects slide and stop with the C&Ds.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-01-05 03:11:41 »
I would like to see a FF7 project similar to Devil May Cry or Dynasty Warriors play style.  That could suit the UE3 engine well.  Lets just hope Square could let some projects slide and stop with the C&Ds.

You mean like Avalanche?
(http://www.telefragged.com/thefatal/ava/index.php?content=inc_download.htm)

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-01-06 05:32:55 »
nope