Author Topic: problem transfering hard drive  (Read 4092 times)

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
problem transfering hard drive
« on: 2011-05-08 19:44:40 »
as I just finished posting in my project thread I will be able to use a computer all this week to work on my project but I am having problems, I already got permission from a friend, who I am house sitting for, to replace his hard drive with mine and use his computer to work on my project. The reason why he trusts me is because I built this computer for him last year.

Anyway the problem is whenever I put my hard drive into his computer it won't load windows 7. It just restarts automatically when it gets to the first screen where it shows the window logo surrounded by black. I have put this drive into another computer to make sure it wasnt the problem and windows 7 loaded fine. I need to use my HD because all my programs and actions are saved on it. I have never seen this before, I have transfered over hard drives between computers several times in my life and have never seen this problem. I was just wondering if maybe anyone had any ideas.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Re: problem transfering hard drive
« Reply #1 on: 2011-05-08 20:27:37 »
If both computers don't have the same connectio type, this is normal... However, I don't think this is the issue. Have you removed the other HD? How did you connect that HDD?

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-05-08 21:08:46 »
That will rarely ever work if there are major differences between computers. It has to do with all the different hardware, not to mention that your product key is tied to what motherboard/cpu combo you have.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-05-08 22:22:56 »
I have transfered over hard drives between computers several times in my life and have never seen this problem.

I'm surprised that this has ever worked. There are all kinds of problems associated with trying to boot an OS that was installed on a different system.

I think you'd just been very lucky until now.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-05-08 22:23:32 »
Buy a hard drive case for your hard drive.  All you then have to do is plug it into one of his usb ports and grab/open whatever files you want.

Obviously programs, etc will not work.

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-05-09 02:01:37 »
Try to do a repair instal of your HD on the new computer.  It should replace motherboard drivers with the proper ones.  This is, with 95% certainty your issue.  I've never done such a repair under 7 but you should find guides on it online (or even better, suggestions on how to swap HDD from computer to computer under windows 7 - I know preffered way is from sysprep but since your own computer is broken ...).

This however has the chance to permanently screw up your install so backup your HD first (clonezilla image - free, open source, great software to image full HDD).  It's a fairly remote chance it'll screw your install but still there.

If it does work, you'll have to reactivate windows.  If your license was OEM, you're screwed however.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-05-09 15:07:07 »
hmm i guess I have gotten lucky because this has really never been a problem. damn, Thanks for the suggestions Marc, I'll be sure to back up first and give it a try