Author Topic: Older rules  (Read 37097 times)

eerrrr

• View Profile
Older rules
« on: 2002-11-22 18:05:22 »
Bloody hell, these newbies are getting on my nerves.

I've decided to create a thread with a list of rules for all newbies.  Please contribute your own ideas, I know I've missed a bunch out.

To begin, here's a quote from the Registration Agreement Terms, incase any of you have forgotten.

While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered above being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent the webmaster, administrator and moderators cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.
  • Don't make consecutive posts, just edit your most recent one if you have something new to say, unless someone else has made a new post in the same thread since then.
  • Please try to use good spelling and grammer.  Don't run round the house looking for that old, dusty dictionary you've never used if there's a word too difficult to spell, just try and spell as well as you can. It wouldn't hurt to read over your post before you hit submit now would it?
  • Try to stay at least remotely on-topic. Even though unrelated topics are allowed, people still come here to find discussions on FF-related engineering and might become disappointed if Completely Unrelated is the only active forum. Do not post unrelated/nonsense topics just to because you're bored or have nothing else to do, these forums are not a playground.
  • Do not abuse the poll feature. Don't create polls just because you can, be sure there's a real need before starting one.
  • When making polls, try to give more that two options as a reply if possible, to allow the widest possible range of opinions to be voiced. This way more people will be able to participate in your poll, and it will hopefully produce an overall better discussion.
  • Try to understand what people are trying to say if they have a different opinion to you, or are trying to give you some friendly advice.  Shouting back at them really doesn't help at all, you just get less respect and chances are your opinions will be ignored in the future.
  • NEVER write posts in block capitals. Writing in block capitals is interpreted as shouting, which most people find annoying. Be aware of this when using it for emphasis. Single words or, if necessary, short sentences might be warranted at times, but writing entire posts in capitals is the most newbie-ish thing you can do.
  • Don't resurrect old topics. When people stop posting in a topic, it's usually a sign that everything of value has been said. Thus, if nobody's posted in a topic for more than a week or two, consider it dead and don't post in it (unless you have an important follow-up or question exactly on-topic, and the topic is still recent). If you post just a comment on something somebody said ... chances are no-one will care because it's been a while since everything was posted.
  • And conversely, don't topic spam. Creating 5 new topics a day is probably over the top unless you genuinely have 5 completely unrelated questions that need answering and there's no recent threads you could ask them in.
  • See that Search button at the top of the page? Consider giving that a go ... we don't mind too much if people ask questions that've come up before (especially since for things like graphics drivers, the situation changes monthly as new releases come out...), but for others, a five minute search on old topics might get you all the answers and more that you need.
  • Smilies have a place in a message board, but too many can be annoying. If the amount of smileys you post is more than 1/5 of your word count, you may consider cutting some of them.
  • Post counts are simply used to show how much a member participates in discussion. "Spaming" the board (repeatedly posting messages without any content) to raise your post count could get you reset (Your post count goes to zero.)
  • If somebody posts artwork asking for advice don't just post "It's great" or "It sucks". Always tell them something they could do to improve it, which is much more helpful. Constructive critics please.
  • Everyone interprets things differently than others depending on their culture, life experiences, and many other factors. If somebody posts a message that could be considered insulting or offensive to you, don't immediately flame them.
  • Don't insult people about anything unless you have a good reason to. Report to an administrator or a moderator if someone has insulted and/or threatened you.
  • Keep avatars roughly to the 6kb, 60x60 limit.  Also try to make sure they're not offensive.
  • When starting a new thread, use an informing title so the reader knows what the subject is, as opposed to say "Something for anyone whos interested."
  • No linking to/discussion of/advertising of illegal downloads, including FFVII pirated edition.
  • [/list:u]
    Oh, and if you need an avatar or image host, mirex has kindly supplied
webspace.
Nori is also offering to host avatars if you contact her.  Friendly chaps. :D
« Last Edit: 2010-07-09 16:32:54 by obesebear »

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Forum rules (newbies read)
« Reply #1 on: 2002-11-23 12:30:10 »
If you have anything you feel should be added to this list, please post a reply to this topic and I'll incorporate it into the list. This is not meant to be a public discussion, I will delete any non-essential replies.

Renderguy

• View Profile
A few things to add
« Reply #2 on: 2002-12-15 18:29:56 »
I know I'm not that far from being a newbie myself, but I have a couple additions.

Smilies have a place in a message board, but too many can be annoying. If the amount of smileys you post is more than 1/5 of your word count, you may consider cutting some of them.

Post counts are simply used to show how much a member participates in discussion.  "Spaming" the board (repeatedly posting messages without any content) to raise your post count could get you reset (Your post count goes to zero.)

Everyone interprets things differently than others depending on their culture, life experiences, and many other factors.  If somebody posts a message that could be considered insulting or offensive to you, don't immediately flame them.

If somebody posts artwork asking for advice don't just post "It's great" or "It sucks".  Always tell them something they could do to improve it, which is much more helpful.

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
« Reply #3 on: 2002-12-15 19:36:18 »
Addition to the last point: Some of the artwork is really great, so there's nothing to improve. Post like "It sucks" are not very useful. Construktive critics, please.

- Alhexx

Sephiroth2000

« Reply #4 on: 2003-11-10 05:16:26 »
Sorry, i may be breaking the ressurection rule here, but i have one rule to add:
Don't insult people about anything unless you have a good reason to. Report to an administrator or a moderator if someone has insulted and/or threatened you.

Nori

• View Profile
Also...
« Reply #5 on: 2004-03-19 03:57:16 »
Also use an appropriate avatar/name <Old & New Members>  

Should Not Use:  Almighty_gir (March 19TH, 2004)

We have 838 registered users
The newest registered user is fuckingbitchyassholesonof

Alhexx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2004-03-19 11:24:29 »
Nori: I agree.
I see this problem has been "solved" by an admin.
However, as for other users: Keep that in mind!

- Alhexx

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
Re: Also...
« Reply #7 on: 2004-03-21 01:14:55 »
Quote from: Nori
Also use an appropriate avatar/name <Old & New Members>  

Should Not Use:  Almighty_gir

I dont get it..

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #8 on: 2004-03-21 15:03:27 »
Caddberry: i think that Noriko dislikes that avatar because there is this guy killing all the girls ... aka its anti-girls avatar. or maybe because there is too much violence.

Nori

• View Profile
Again =)
« Reply #9 on: 2004-04-18 05:10:31 »
Also, if your avatar's link is broken
please fix it ASAP

PS - Need the host (Qhimm.com-Avatar)?
[PM or AIM, ICQ, IRC "Qhimm.com", MSN or Yahoo me!!]

Nom_Anor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2004-04-20 13:25:29 »
Haha... that avatar is nuts.  :love:  Kinda bloody, like an animated ninja scroll avt. (Almighty-gir, that is)

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #11 on: 2004-04-20 17:50:24 »
Quote from: Nori
Also, if your avatar's link is broken
please fix it ASAP
PS - Need the host ?

Or you can upload your avatar here too: http://bin.mypage.sk

Alhexx

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2004-07-17 13:34:03 »
Hum ... there's another "rule" I want to add (even though I'm not the admin):

I see more and more topics with subjects like "Something for anyone whos interested." or "I would really like to know this." (just to mention 2 examples)

Subjects like these ones don't tell a forum visitor which Subject the topic really contains, since the title tells you nothing.
Please avoid that, so when you create a topic, choose a subject which tells a visitor what this topic is about, so he can decide whether he wants to read this topic or not.

- Alhexx

Bunnie-Maru

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005-06-14 04:43:43 »
Another rule I would like to suggest:

No linking to illegal downloads/advertising. After whats his name was posting all that stuff, I checked everywhere I could and found not a single mention of it. Might help in future cases.

Unless its somewhere else that I've overlooked (I wouldnt be suprised).  :-?

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #14 on: 2005-06-14 04:55:10 »

Bunnie-Maru

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005-06-14 05:14:30 »
I meant overall, for all the forums. Whats his name obviously didnt look in Game Tweaking, as Im sure alot more like him wont.

Im just suggesting making it more available in a general area.

I've tried looking there, but I doubt people like him will, and by him, I mean new comers looking to plug in their sites, or just putting crap in general.

It's kind of like putting the list of rules behind the dumpster (Not calling Game Tweaking a dumpster by any means). Why not put it up on the fence right as they walk in, right?  :P

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
« Reply #16 on: 2005-08-25 03:15:19 »
New forum rule:
After a topic has been dead for over 1.5 weeks and a useless post has raised it from the grave without actually contributing to the discussion, a large bald guy with muscles and hair will visit the offender’s house and administer two lashings for each day over 10 days the topic has been dead.

Wow, valar2006, that’s 76 lashes, 78 if you count inclusively (and you should)!

L. Spiro

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #17 on: 2005-08-25 12:28:51 »
New forum rule: Spiro, stop replying to the spambots.

Razvan

• View Profile
    • http://razvan-sedekiah.deviantart.com/
AHHHHHHHHHHH
« Reply #18 on: 2005-11-20 16:30:34 »
Quote from: L. Spiro
New forum rule:
After a topic has been dead for over 1.5 weeks and a useless post has raised it from the grave without actually contributing to the discussion, a large bald guy with muscles and hair will visit the offender’s house and administer two lashings for each day over 10 days the topic has been dead.

Wow, valar2006, that’s 76 lashes, 78 if you count inclusively (and you should)!

L. Spiro

NO!!!! I don't wanna die!!!! *cries* Why didn't I just scrolll to the bottom to get the full intensity of this crime!! If I'd only looked down here.

Luckly I have  dogs in my room, they do as they are told. (song quote)

Although, I still think I had insitful things to say and  actually contributed to the discussion.  Teehee.

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005-11-20 16:49:20 »
o_O What was the point in posting that?

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #20 on: 2005-11-20 17:28:43 »
Funny, how this topic had been dead for more than 1.5 weeks and your post doesn't actually contribute to the discussion.

Careful.

Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005-11-21 03:45:43 »
Also... some guy called xXSephirothXx was spamming my PM Inbox. Can we make it so you can't spam people, on pain of bannination?
Hawk

zaphod77

• View Profile
    • Super Сasual Dating Real Women
Re: Forum rules (newbies read)
« Reply #22 on: 2006-09-09 21:57:27 »
The rule about not talking about any method other then using a virtual drive to play a game without a working CD seems to be missing from this post.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #23 on: 2006-09-10 00:37:20 »
That's not a "forum rule" per se.
It has been discussed in previous threads in the Game Tweaking forum and goes along with our general anti-piracy attitude.

Fenrir

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008-06-02 15:37:44 »
learning, helping people learn, and having fun are goals that should be adopted and strived for by every forum.