Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII downloaded 100,000 times in two weeks  (Read 36613 times)

Luis Aviles

• View Profile
Mirroring the success of Final Fantasy VII International overseas, the release of FFVII to the Playstation Network at the beginning of June has seen tremendous download growth in two weeks since its launch. The game has been downloaded over 100,000 times, making it the fastest-selling PS1 game on the Playstation Network thus far. The following press release outlines some of the other PS1 games Sony's planning to release over the rest of the year, including Wild Arms 2, Mobile Light Force and Spec Ops: Stealth Patrol, that will round out what will supposedly be dozens of releases before 2010. See below for the full press release.

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=0F2D22B9-1A64-6A71-CE8CFFE150009B38

Now this doesnt include the number of people who download the game through torrent and rapidshare. I guess people still havent forgotten this game. Perhaps theres no need for a remake.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII downloaded 100,000 times in two weeks
« Reply #1 on: 2009-07-11 18:23:29 »
And I think that was just in North America; throw in Europe, Japan and the rest of the world and the sales will probably be over 200 000.  :wink:

It's just a pity that it can't be legally downloaded for the PC AFAIK. :cry:

Apart from stopping greedy sellers trying to flog it for £100, it might reduce the number of questions we can get from people who can't make their Ultima edition work...

I guess people still havent forgotten this game. Perhaps theres no need for a remake.

Oh, I don't think this game will be forgotten for a long time  :wink: The popularity of these forums (FF7 isn't an easy game to mod) is evidence of that. I don't think there's any need for a remake either; I wonder if Square will feel the same way  :?

Sefurosu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-07-15 06:43:53 »
I still want to have a remake, even though I still play the original on my PC, PSP, and PS1...

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-07-15 07:15:44 »
I'm with sefurosu, the original is great but a remake would make me sh*t myself...in a good way(?)

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-07-16 00:48:12 »
I want a remake too, but I'm scared of what they'll do to it.

I'd want it to remain exactly the same with just updated graphics, but I don't think that's ever gonna happen. It's too likely they'll try to work in tidbits of what they've introduced in the other compilation titles for the sake of continuity and that would just p*ss me off. Maybe I wouldn't mind if they expanded the dialogue or something, kinda beefed it out a bit and made it better - as long is it remains true to the original game. I don't want loads of extra crap that doesn't need to be there. I also don't know how I'd feel about a completely different battle system, I mean lets face it, how can it be kept the same?

In short, maybe I'm too picky. I just don't want them to screw it up!

Gutts

« Reply #5 on: 2009-07-16 00:54:56 »
words

You know, this is exactly the kind of thinking that Square is afraid of. They want to remake but they are afraid of "disappointing" any fans, thus they don't do it. I think I even read this on an IGN interview with some of the FF7 top brass. If people really wanted to get this remake they should should just shut up and say BRING IT Square.

Anyway, I know that I sure as heck won't be disappointed! No matter what they do with it, as long as I GET it, I don't care.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-16 00:56:38 by Gutts »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-07-16 01:46:18 »
>Square
>Afraid of disappointing any fans

Well, it's pretty good that you don't care what they do with this remake everyone is absolutely certain they're going to make, because everything Square have done since they became $quare €nix (especially with the Compilation of FF7) suggests that most of the changes won't be for the better in the eyes of most fans. Reactions to Square's more recent games have generally been negative.

In the unlikely event (they're a business, after all, and they care about the bottom line more than anything else) that the top brass actually are worried about fans instead of wanting to cash in on the FF7 name, that's a very good thing. Perhaps they're questioning their belief (and, to be fair, a lot of companies do this with their biggest franchises when they're low on ideas) that they can defecate in a disc case, stick a FF7 logo on it and expect it to sell millions. I'd much rather see no remake than a bad one. It'll save me money, as well as my memories of the game (since I'm the kind of idiot that still buys FF shovelware just because it's Final Fantasy - just the kind of person they rely on, in fact).

Anyway, why do we need a remake? Srsly, the only things that FF7 needs are a graphical update, some translation and bug fixes and a difficulty tweak, and we've done or are doing all of that. What the people who really want a remake should actually do is think about whether FF7 really needs one.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-07-16 01:49:19 »
words

You know, this is exactly the kind of thinking that Square is afraid of. They want to remake but they are afraid of "disappointing" any fans, thus they don't do it. I think I even read this on an IGN interview with some of the FF7 top brass. If people really wanted to get this remake they should should just shut up and say BRING IT Square.

Anyway, I know that I sure as heck won't be disappointed! No matter what they do with it, as long as I GET it, I don't care.

I see your point, but I'd rather they didn't remake it if they were going to change too much of the storyline. I won't be happy with just "anything" - maybe that makes me a fussy person but I don't really care ^_^

I think I read something similar - and to be honest, I'm GLAD that's the way they're thinking. This way, if they DO decide to do a remake, they'll take care.

Gutts

« Reply #8 on: 2009-07-16 02:12:47 »
I see you guys point too, maybe its just that I'm so desperate to play FF7 again that I'll take anything lol! I was telling my friend the other day that if they DO remake it, I already know what it'll be like. Crisis Core!  :-D (Minus the battle system of course). I mean think about it. They already got a good field engine down, nearly most of the areas in FF7 were done in CC, like the church, Nibelheim, Midgar, Wutai etc etc.

Guess there's nothing to do but wait :\

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-07-16 03:13:47 »
If they were to remake it, I suspect they'd give it a fresh translation or a new script, but not change the story too much. Any changes they make would be to fix obvious problems (touph), fix continuity (Cura, Curaga), or improve flow. It'd be faster, cheaper, easier, and better than completely rewriting it.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-07-16 05:21:33 »
I say we don't even need a remake.

Squeenix could:
A) Update the models  (LGPTools + Kimera + Biturn + PCreator + skilled modelers)
B) Update the battle scenes (Biturn + skilled modelers)
C) Update the field background (Palmer + Photoshop)
D) Update the music (FF7Music + mp3s)
E) Update the graphics (OpenGL driver)
F) Update the script (Loveless)
G) Update the AI (Wallmarket + ProudClod)
H) Update the FMVs (OpenGL driver + Advent CHildren scenes + people with the time to animate higher poly models)

You get the idea.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-07-16 05:22:43 »
To the last one, if someone remade all the scenes like that, I would worship them.

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-07-16 05:35:09 »
dont forget better camera angles and voice overs  :-D

InuRa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009-07-21 04:28:49 »
I say we don't even need a remake.

Squeenix could:
A) Update the models  (LGPTools + Kimera + Biturn + PCreator + skilled modelers)
B) Update the battle scenes (Biturn + skilled modelers)
C) Update the field background (Palmer + Photoshop)
D) Update the music (FF7Music + mp3s)
E) Update the graphics (OpenGL driver)
F) Update the script (Loveless)
G) Update the AI (Wallmarket + ProudClod)
H) Update the FMVs (OpenGL driver + Advent CHildren scenes + people with the time to animate higher poly models)

You get the idea.

Yeah, i guess this is the general desire towards the game. If SE just updates the graphics everything is gonna be fine and people will be happy.
Honestly i think the best aproach would be the release FF7 on STEAM (since they already have 'The Last Remnant' there) then make small updates with improvements to the graphics every week\month, that way they can check the feedback each time one of those is released and undo the changes if the critics are very negative. When the whole thing was updated all they had to do was pimp it up a little more and port it to the PS3 (and maybe Xbox360) and sell some more units.
Ok, maybe some huge changes to the Gold Saucer amusement park would be something good idea so they can double or triple the number of minigames and improve the duration of the game.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-07-25 17:54:13 »
My wifi is crappy and my PS3 keeps disconnecting after approx 2%. Is it possible to download this from my PC and then transfer it to my PS3?

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
« Reply #15 on: 2009-07-29 12:04:10 »
dont forget better camera angles and voice overs  :-D

No voice overs please :|

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009-07-29 17:57:37 »
dont forget better camera angles and voice overs  :-D

No voice overs please :|

Yeah, English voiceovers are often pretty bad. If it must have them, I hope that they'll be an optional, or that there will be a choice of languages so that we can listen to the Japanese.

A lot of people think that voiceovers make a game better. They don't.

Good voiceovers make a game better. Mediocre voiceovers make them slightly worse and bad voiceovers can ruin everything. Unfortunately, there are a lot more bad English voiceovers in games than good ones. See the MGS and Legacy of Kain series for some awesome exceptions  :-D

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009-07-29 18:55:37 »
What do you think of the english voices for ff7 AC?

I swear everyone hates on english voice overs for no reason, wheatheri ts movies, anime, or games, its all the same.

i think the english voices sound fitting for their characters, and i prefer them as i can understand what they are saying as well as the inflection they give.

i can never tell what inflexion is implied when a japanese speaker has dialogue

cant use spell check so bear with any errors...my computer seems to have this issue with opening second windows....it just doesnt do it for some reason

jin_kazama

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009-07-29 19:03:25 »
from what i've seen of some remakes, they tend to be worse than the original.

though i would appreciate it and play it, no matter what.

but i think there's not a great margin for error, once ff7 is a great game. only thing that could be made better would be the graphics and the voice overs.

i played DQVIII and square knows how to get voice overs done. it's remarkable. as for the graphics, well... we're always improving. :)

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009-07-29 19:05:13 »
well....wait, how can a remake be worse than the original?

maybe a loss of its charm?

it couldnt be changes or story because those should be the same...

meh, i dunno.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009-07-29 19:10:07 »
FF7AC was mostly good voicewise, but they wrecked Cait Sith by giving him an idiotic accent, and Rachael Leigh Cook brought down the whole movie with her unnatural and stilted performance.

On the other hand, Quinton Flynn was spectacular, the new child actors in AC:Complete were good, and everybody else was competent.

It's true that there are a ton of terrible English dubs of things. People often see the terrible ones, and then project their bad feelings about them to ALL dubs. Like, just because Sailor Moon's dub was genuinely awful, they ignore the really good ones like Cowboy Bebop, or the pretty good ones like Dragon Ball Z (which had more problems with English script rather than acting).

Kudistos Megistos, I hope you're not including MGS1 when you say the MGS series. About half of the voice acting in that game was phenomenal, but a lot of it (namely Naomi and Mei Ling with their terrible fake accents) was plain atrocious.

Of course, the reason things get bad dubs is because they don't have Andrea Romano acting as casting director.

For an example of a remake being worse than the original, look no further than FFIV DS. Maybe it's the fact that they really slowed down the game, maybe it's that the 3D graphics actually look WORSE than the original 2D graphics, or maybe it's the horribly acted cutscenes, but there's virtually nothing better about it than the original.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009-07-29 19:39:10 »
What do you think of the english voices for ff7 AC?

I swear everyone hates on english voice overs for no reason, wheatheri ts movies, anime, or games, its all the same.

i think the english voices sound fitting for their characters, and i prefer them as i can understand what they are saying as well as the inflection they give.

i can never tell what inflexion is implied when a japanese speaker has dialogue

The English wasn't terrible but I don't think it was good. This is with the exception of Cait Sith's voice, which was on a par with Dick Van Dyke's "cockney" accent in Mary Poppins. Urgh...  :|

What I've noticed about English voiceovers of Japanese works is that most of them aren't really really bad, as in Bible Black bad, but they seem a lot more amateur and the dialogue often sounds forced and lacking in emotion, as if the actors are reading the dialogue for the first time. Japanese voice acting usually sounds a lot more lively and more natural; even when the English acting is OK, it still tends not to be as good.

What I've always inferred (I'm not sure whether this is right, but the wikipedia article on Seiyuu implies this) is that voice acting is less respected and high profile in the West than in Japan (we certainly don't have many voice actors who are household names or objects of fanboy love like some Seiyuu). If so, then voice acting for video games and such may well be the kind of work you do when you when you need a job and will take anything, not something that you take seriously and something that more talented actors will pass up in favour of live action roles. I'm sure that if Halkun reads this he will confirm or deny it  :-P

Kudistos Megistos, I hope you're not including MGS1 when you say the MGS series. About half of the voice acting in that game was phenomenal, but a lot of it (namely Naomi and Mei Ling with their terrible fake accents) was plain atrocious.

I most certainly was! Let's just say that the many brilliant actors make for a very few bad ones.  :-D
« Last Edit: 2009-07-29 19:40:59 by Kudistos Megistos »

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009-07-29 19:42:30 »
but they wrecked Cait Sith by giving him an idiotic accent,

There are far worse accents out there than Scottish I assure you and yes, I do take a little offence to having my accent called idiotic.

Remember the characters are from all over the planet, giving them different accents adds a little variety to the mix

I do agree about Rachael Leigh Cook though, yet strangely in Kingdom Hearts she wasn't as bad.

I did laugh at David Boreanaz as Squall in the First Kingdom Hearts, holy shit did he sounds bored and un-interested, no wonder they replaced him with someone who has a shitload of VO work on his resume for the second game.

Steve Burton always struck me as an odd choice for cloud, mostly because he speaks in a soft voice for him, making Cloud seem a bit girly at times.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009-07-29 19:44:48 »
but they wrecked Cait Sith by giving him an idiotic accent,

There are far worse accents out there than Scottish I assure you and yes, I do take a little offence to having my accent called idiotic.

Er, I don't think he was calling Scottish accents idiotic; he was calling Cait Sith's ridiculously bad attempt at a Scottish accent idiotic.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009-07-29 19:51:04 »
It was actually pretty close to a northern accent, a wee bit over excited sounding, but close none the less.