Author Topic: FF7 - Music Reloaded Project  (Read 35024 times)

Elentor

• View Profile
FF7 - Music Reloaded Project
« on: 2005-07-18 22:54:32 »
Hi people. Well this is the last of the three projects I planned originally to waste my free time with.

This is, again, a very personal project, which I'm doing for myself, and am releasing because I believe there will be at least one person in the world who will like it, so please, avoid comments like "Omg lol it sucks" or "completely unuseful". If you don't like, don't download, I just ask that.

Since it's a personal project and devoid of responsability, since I'm doing it for myself and my own pleasure, I can guarantee with 98% sure that I will finish it. The other 2 percents includes, but are not limited to:

1) If I suffer amnesia
2) If I lose my hands or anything else that allow me to keep with the project
3) If I die
4) If someone pays me an enormous ammount of money asking me to stop it.
5) All of the above
6) None of the above

So, in other words, there is a big chance I will eventually finish the *coughcough94musicscoughcough* which will waste an ungodly amount of space in my server, but this is life.

In case you haven't guessed what this project is yet, is basically my "high-quality" versions of some FF7 musics. Now, in case you didn't read the first paragraph and say "lol man you could just download some cool soundfonts" I must say that sure, this would be no problem, but I do not believe much into using soundfonts directly because:

1)It wastes too much RAM on my computer, and he is about 99% of the day using it for 3D Rendering.
2)It won't give me the effect I like.

I just noticed I love making lists. Because of this list-fetish and, in case any of you wonder, here is the process of making these musics:

1) I open the midi in Guitar Pro to analyze the composition easily because of the layout.
2) I then load it in Sonar, and add the necessary loops in the midi
3) I load up the soundfonts I'm going to use, assign them to each instrument and start a process of playing and pausing adjusting the volumes and levels.
4) I put the effects like Reverb, Equalization and configure them individually for each instrument.
5) I configure the master volume and record it in maximum quality in the standard Windows' Sound Recorder, saving it as a wav.
6) Load it on Soundforge 8.0 and add the final equalization, normalize and add the final polishments.

I was kinda undecided if I posted here or not, but now after five musics done I think there is nothing really evil in it:

Elentor:
Makou Reactor
Fighting
Anxious Heart
Shinra
Sephiroth
Jenova
Interrupted by Fireworks

As a plus, in case you think my music l337 skillz suckz0rs, I'm puting the links here of other artists of this forum/topic.

KojiroTakenashi:
Old Vincent Theme
Newer version of Vincent Theme

NeoS:
Prelude
Opening Bomb Mission
Fighting Theme
Cid's Theme

------------------------------------------------------------------
Ficedula
FF7Music program. Allows you to play mp3s or the psx music instead of the game midis

*you must claim your prize under the Bonzy Buddy site within ten days or it will be cleared

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2005-07-18 23:23:15 »
Well, i for one have nothing against it, and since its more for your own personal pleasure, whateer anyone else thinks is "mweh" to you, i'm sure.

However, i feel the need to voice some concerns, if you don't mind some constructive critisism.  The Opening bomb mission, for instance.  The piano is FAR too dissonant, and there's an occasion "DUUNN" that sounds like a really, really off-key 8-bit piano sound  I'd tone both those things down.  The rest sounds damn good though.  Parts of "Fighting" seem too faint/quiet, but other than that, i love what ya did with it =)

I don't think i'll be Dling your full set, but this is definatly cool =)

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005-07-18 23:59:34 »
Unless you will be trying to put these in game, this topic belong to General forum, I think.

Apart of that, Anxious Heart sounds great, congratulations! Fighting is very good too, but as EmperorSteele said - it's too loud in some parts. And other are also good. Keep up the good work!

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005-07-19 01:16:04 »
M4V3R: These can count as "soundfonts" for that matter, since you can load them to play during the game thanks to a patch.
Thanks for your comment, though! ^^

Emperor: I'm always open to constructive criticism, since I'm not perfect.
I will try changing the piano in the Opening Bomb or testing it with different configurations, so far.

I think the problem with "Fighting" are the drums. My DVD with some drum soundfonts, including the Drum Series from Sonic Implants (which was my personal favorite... I hadn't bought the new Yamaha Drums yet), was scratched. I had to use instead the Blue Jays, which I don't like much since they are too low and way too calm.
Once I get a new Drum Session Series again, I think this problem will be solved. Too bad my credit card is already on the limit this month.

Thanks

Soldier

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005-07-19 01:33:01 »
I commend you on your projects. This is awesome, Final Fantasy 7 is not dead it has just been reborn ;)

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005-07-19 01:46:40 »
The only one I can give my blessing to is Anxious Hearts.

Trust me...I was the big FF7 Music nut here back in the day.

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005-07-19 16:13:46 »
i never be a$$ to use the homemade  FF7 Music but this 1. Is good i like somemore Plz

Katana

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005-07-19 17:17:38 »
I've been listening to the Makou Reactor one over and over, for some reason i think it sounds so damn good lol!
I also like the others alot, if everything would be as they are now, you have my full support on this project!
Very nice!  :D

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005-07-19 23:30:24 »
for some reason they all skip horribly in windows media player.

all my other mp3s are fine though.

Katana

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005-07-19 23:57:32 »
Quote from: Marcis
for some reason they all skip horribly in windows media player.

all my other mp3s are fine though.

Then there is something terribly wrong with your windows media player.
Works great in Mediaplayer 10! ^^

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005-07-20 03:17:07 »
actually, it does it from creative playcenter and from windows media player 10.

really weird.

Leiw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005-07-20 11:09:49 »
really great work

no prob with teh mp3s

naji

• View Profile
    • http://balder.prohosting.com/hackff7/
Re: FF7 - Music Reloaded Project
« Reply #12 on: 2005-07-20 12:17:36 »
Quote from: Elentor

So, what are you waiting for? Download them all right now. It's free and if you are the 1.000.000th downloader you will receive a special version of "One Winged Angel" singed by Britney Spears*.

Cheers

*you must claim your prize under the Bonzy Buddy site within ten days or it will be cleared

LOL, One Winged Angel sung by Britney Spears you know, I got to hear that, it sounds so funny, LOL.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005-07-20 19:02:37 »
I can imagine it now..

"Uhm, Very very.. something soft, oh yeah i'm naughty, take it off..."

No thanks =P

Radiosity

• Minty Fresh!
    • View Profile
    • Trance Vibes
« Reply #14 on: 2005-07-21 00:58:48 »
Interrupted by fireworks next, please :D I'm interested to hear what you're going to do with it.

Couple of crits:

Bomb Mission. The main piano is too in your face, as has already been mentioned, other than that I liked it. The other instruments could do wiith a bit of a boost, but toning that piano down a bit would likely help there.

Mako Reactor. Love this one, retains the original dark style with nice enhancements to the instruments. Thumbs up on this :)

Fighting. Hmm... as the single most played piece of music in the entire game, I'd have to say I'd probably turn the music off after a while I'm afraid. Not keen on this at all, way too much reverb for my tastes, particularly on the hihats. The trumpets sound really flat compared to the original, I think they could really do with a bit more power. Lastly, the hihats seem to go out of sync at some points, which is most likely due to the amount of reverb, but they're also quite loud so tend to stand out too much amongst the other instruments.

Shinra. The drums seem very weak, but since you've already mentioned your lack of decent drum samples at the moment I won't comment further on them :) Otherwise, again I like what you've done... with one big exception: the bells. They are badly out of tune with the rest of the song and IMHO desperately need fixing.

Anxious Heart. Two big thumbs up on this one, love it :D Retains the sad and slightly creepy feel with very nice enhancements, particularly the piano sections. Nice job indeed.

Can't wait to hear more of your remixes.

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005-07-21 03:57:06 »
Someone get me some hosting ^^; please.

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005-07-21 04:27:30 »
Wow, how much feedback. Makes me happy.

Soldier: Many thanks.
ice_cold513: Thanks too, I will be doing them
Sui: Makou ended up as my favorite too, I hope I can make another remix as good as it.
Marcis: Strange, I'll try playing on WMP later.
Leiw: Thanks
naji: Who knows, someday I may do a remix like that...  :wicked:
Radiosity: Hah, I'll do that next. Your crits were the most constructive until now, many thanks.

I would like to say I just finished Sephiroth's theme. I hope you guys enjoy as much as I enjoyed making it. It can download there:

Click on this very link to make your dreams come true

Cheers

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005-07-21 04:49:31 »
Tempo's a little quick on that last one, doantcha think?

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005-07-21 04:52:49 »
It's exactly the same, with no difference or alterations as the original, since it was based off on the midis that came with the game.

Unless you're trying to say that the total time of the music is very quick. In this case it wouldn't be the tempo, but yea, the song is kinda quick because it's just one riff repeating.

Cheers

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005-07-21 05:18:34 »
I LIKE the Sephiroth one!  It sounds a lot creepier and more tense than the original, probably just becasue of the instruments used.  Best one so far, IMO =)

Starlith

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005-07-21 10:27:19 »
is there any way to add the kingdom hearts One Winged Angel to the game cause I like it beter than the original

rmco2003

« Reply #21 on: 2005-07-21 11:00:51 »
Wow, the sephiroth one sounds great on my surround speakers, well done :)

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005-07-22 01:25:12 »
Seriously guys. About that hosting. I went and had FL Studio take forever to render a file that I haven't paid any attention to in a while....

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005-07-22 01:35:00 »
rmco2003 and EmperorSteele: Thanks! I'm glad you liked it, I will try to do Interrupted by Fireworks next.

KojiroTakenashi: I hope you realize you are posting something kinda off-topic here...
Why don't you open your own topic about that instead of asking for host on other threads?

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005-07-26 01:37:05 »
Two files I did a WHILE ago. Meant to be the bones of an oC ReMix.

If anyone remembers (Goku), I had a bunch of stuff I was looking at on how to improve the music...these are just redone files with the MIDI note data, though.

Original:
http://elentor.com/Outros/Amphitere/VincentTheme.mp3

Newer Version (Doesn't sound so good in PLII music surround. Sounds better in movie mode. Sounds best in Stereo, which most of you are probally using):

http://elentor.com/Outros/Amphitere/Vincent's%20Themenewer.mp3