Author Topic: Stepping down from WMRP  (Read 18981 times)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: Stepping down from WMRP
« Reply #25 on: 2010-02-25 02:30:03 »
I am hoping this is not a goodbye, but a 'until we see you next.' Your work has been amazing and we all appreciate all the time you have spent with the project. FF7 has never looked better. I hope you do decide to stick around though. Even if you don't work on anything you are still a member of avalanche and we will need your opinions on things at least.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010-02-25 12:20:30 »
There is no need to make new models since most of the original models have been retextured already. They hold up against the WMRP and look great. Here is an example of my Tiny Bronco.

That tiny bronco looks really good grimmy :)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-02-25 19:21:19 »
I am hoping this is not a goodbye, but a 'until we see you next.' Your work has been amazing and we all appreciate all the time you have spent with the project. FF7 has never looked better. I hope you do decide to stick around though. Even if you don't work on anything you are still a member of avalanche and we will need your opinions on things at least.

not a goodbye, but i amsort of stepping back into the shadows. I'd still be happy to look at anything if you need another set of eyes,and i will probably do asmall bit of image editing, though it will probably be limited to tweaking old textures, and maybe helping grimmy fit his new textures into the overall WMRP "feel". I will still be active, but not actively contributing as i had been before.

lee

Jari

« Reply #28 on: 2010-02-26 05:36:17 »
LOL I was just joking (couldn't you tell). You cannot under ANY circumstance backwards engineer or modify copyrighted items AT ALL so yeah its illegal. 

EDIT sorry for this post being off topic. Oh and Ammo I think one of your pic's is broken.

Awww, sorry. :-P

Well, no, considering the context, I wasn't sure at all. :)

Really? Which one? I haven't touched them, but I suppose it's possible the host has messed up. Although a temporary connection error is probably even more likely.

So what then of all the Gmod models people use?  Models ripped from countless games, yet available for anyone to download and do with as they please.  I realize that is a different scenario entirely, but there have been no repercussions there that I'm aware of.  The point is, that taking models from the exact same FF7 game and applying it in-game should definitely not be breaking a rule here.   

They are counting on the copyright holder to turn a blind eye. Which usually works - but not always. With Gmod there's probably the additional factor that the way they are using the models is something the owner would never do, so there isn't even theoretical loss of income related with it.

Still, the blind eye-thingy does not hold up in court, or more importantly wouldn't be of much help if Square decided it wasn't going to do it anymore, and sent a cease and desist. The thing is that they could send a cease and desist to the forums, which is bad. Sure, you could go to a court over it, but most people are not made out of money or time.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010-02-26 06:01:50 »
I can understand the ripping and porting of models from Crisis Core.  And especially from games that aren't even from the FF7 universe.  But from the exact same game?  To me that's on the same level as the PRP or Team Avalanche updating the graphics.
It's not legal.  But it's also not illegal enough to warrant any attention.

Agree to disagree I guess.  I don't make the rules here.

Pyrozen, your work will be missed.  Hopefully Grimmy can fill those big shoes you've left.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #30 on: 2010-02-26 23:24:08 »
I'm going to weigh in on this...
If you look at the textures for the "bonus models" from the International edition, they are full of fail. We can do a lot better than that. (No I'm serious, look at them once) From a simple texture standpoint they can be a lot better, and modeling a machine is not *that* hard.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010-02-27 00:46:05 »
I'm going to weigh in on this...
If you look at the textures for the "bonus models" from the International edition, they are full of fail. We can do a lot better than that. (No I'm serious, look at them once) From a simple texture standpoint they can be a lot better, and modeling a machine is not *that* hard.

Good opinion.

*Puts on his i'm right shirt*