Author Topic: Out of hibernation  (Read 37233 times)

Borde

• View Profile
Re: Out of hibernation
« Reply #25 on: 2013-07-26 19:05:53 »
Hello everyone.

Yes, Kimera can edit animations, but it's a real pain. The option is there more as a proof of concept than an actual end-user feature. I've got plans to make it more reasonable, but it's going to take a while to implement.

I'm actually surprised nobody came up with a script to, at least, import the animations into Blender (or any other modeling suite). It would be pretty easy. It would be rather tedious too, though.

By the way, nice job Timu Sumisu. Good luck with it.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2013-07-26 19:18:48 »
Could you magic some blender export plugin Borde? Pretty pleeaaaase!!

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2013-07-26 20:08:09 »
I'm sorry Timu Sumisu but right now I'm working on something else. Also, as I said, it's not exactly the most exciting task to tackle. I promise I'll give it a shoot some day (if nobody does it first), but don't hold your breath.

By the way, I'm curious, what do you want to do exactly? Is it the cape physics simulation?

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2013-07-26 20:49:16 »
I /could/ animate it in blender, but how would i get these animations into the game?
The animation format is a bit complex if I remember correctly (delta compression).  Lots of bit packing et all.

The skeleton / HRC data is known.

My guess is convert blender information to rotation information based on the bone data then convert from the rotations to deltas then compress the delta data. If I remember correctly the start rotation and position information is in the first few bits of data. Also some animations are things like moving an arm or one step. (The battle code repeats these animations which include rotation and translation information for the delta informatino).

I'm a bit fuzzy at that point (heh) as I am unfamiliar with blenders python scripting and python API. The internal data formats might be at issue as well.

I believe the dx/dy/dz data is on the whole model whereas the delta data on the angles is per bone (using bone length for the offset). I can't remember much more (lame I know).

Cyb

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2013-07-26 21:29:16 »
Both field and battle animation formats are pretty much fully decoded already Cyberman. Kimera sourcecode includes functions to decode and encode both formats.

It's true battle animations representation could pose a problem for a scripting languange since they involve working with a bit stream, but one could work with an intermediate format (such as COLLADA) and do all the conversions on a separate program written in C++. Many modeling suites also include an interface for writting plug-ins directly in C++, though they are usually pretty nightmarish (I shudder to think of the time I had to write a plug-in for XSI).

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2013-07-27 14:19:03 »
While cape physics would be cool, My want for an animation export would be to simply have an artist friendly way of making animations for the game. make a set of actions in blender, name them according to what ff7 wants, and hit export -> boom you have new animations :P If only it were so easy.

Also if ff7 could be tricked into using some kind of mesh deformation it would be kool!

ZL325

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2013-07-27 20:07:17 »
If someone were to create said tool, does that mean we'd no longer need to break up the models into pieces? Not certain on how the game even loads the models though.. lol Sorry for my ignorance.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2013-07-27 20:35:30 »
Nop, I don't think there is any way of making FF7 render skinned models. Maybe Aali could somehow do it with his custom driver. But really, I think QGears would the most viable option for getting rid of that restriction (and many others).

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2013-07-27 20:45:52 »
Isn't Q-gears abandoned, as in not being worked on?

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2013-07-27 20:55:22 »
I think it'd be easier to make a new game with current era tools :P

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2013-07-27 21:33:33 »
Was Q-Gears stopped by Square? Like when they tried to port Metroid Prime to Cryengine 2 and got shut down?

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2013-07-27 22:24:53 »
I think it'd be easier to make a new game with current era tools :P
Pretty much. Though that's what QGears is, to some degree.

Was Q-Gears stopped by Square? Like when they tried to port Metroid Prime to Cryengine 2 and got shut down?
I don't think QGears project was ever officially stopped. The last version was released more than a year ago, though. Since there are still several aspects of FF7 that noone seems to have figured out yet, the project isn't going to be completed anytime soon (if ever).

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2013-07-27 22:42:08 »
Making FF7 render weighted meshes isn't very difficult at all actually, the problem is inventing a new model format to support it and writing the loaders/exporters/etc for it. This is something I've wanted to do since like version .6 of the driver but I don't think I will ever have the time to actually do it.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2013-07-27 23:21:10 »
Making FF7 render weighted meshes isn't very difficult at all actually, the problem is inventing a new model format to support it and writing the loaders/exporters/etc for it. This is something I've wanted to do since like version .6 of the driver but I don't think I will ever have the time to actually do it.

I even fear it would be useless work, because we have to less model artists around here, who can redo all models to make it workable. And when it's done, SE has surely released a remake for PS4/5.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2013-07-27 23:45:14 »
You never cease to amaze me Aali. But yes, you're right, writting the associated tools would be a chore. If you ever decide to go on with that, I'd suggest using an existing format (such as Cal3D) and expand it with any additional data needed.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2013-07-29 05:10:30 »
You know, I've always wondered if there's anything the everyday members could do to help people like you and Borde

ZL325

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2013-07-29 13:43:34 »
Every qhimm member would need to learn how to program at a high level as these two, in order for them to get the help they would need. Lol

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2013-07-29 13:50:49 »
Every qhimm member would need to learn how to program at a high level as these two, in order for them to get the help they would need. Lol

Or at a low level! *badum ching bad programming joke...*

Ryusaizo

• Kyaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2013-07-29 13:57:20 »
Indeed, coming out of hibernation seems to be affecting us all.

If we had thirty-fourty more programmers, at the skill shown for the various projects. I am sure the project would finish rather quickly.

That is assuming we all don't just sit around and drink, like all programmers do.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2013-07-29 15:37:05 »
More programmer? Nah, this project needs more artists.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2013-07-29 16:15:25 »
Well, I wish there were two or three more programmers. I specially would like to bother someone to look in the sound system of FF7, because it's buggy.
And a small footstep-sound.dll would be something nice, too.
Anyway, if we have more artists (10+), I would like to jump in and learn more basics of Blender to create some textured models. But we have to less of everything.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #46 on: 2013-07-29 16:36:21 »
Well, I wish there were two or three more programmers. I specially would like to bother someone to look in the sound system of FF7, because it's buggy.

you could always bother yourself and look into it...

programing is not that difficult , but like other things in life you must practice to get better at it.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2013-07-29 16:45:24 »
If we have more artists (10+), I would like to jump in and learn more basics of Blender to create some textured models.

If you jumped in now we'd have 1 more of those 10 artists :P

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2013-07-29 17:14:12 »
If you jumped in now we'd have 1 more of those 10 artists :P
I hope I can make the count to 2. Maybe?
you could always bother yourself and look into it...
programing is not that difficult , but like other things in life you must practice to get better at it.
For some people, time can be an issue. I barely have the time to work on my field screen scenes, for one thing. We could also use more guidance as to deliver things that can be made to work - I recall anaho couldn't get his Mideel scenes in the game, and his problems have been left unsolved. Same issue when I wanted to get my indoor scenes of Aerith's house in the game.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-29 17:16:52 by Mayo Master »

ZL325

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2013-07-29 18:16:31 »
Or at a low level! *badum ching bad programming joke...*

Nicely said.  8) lol

I'm currently in the works of something, with that being said... Timu would you be able to give me some criticism and tips with what im working on?  Lol Sorry to be a bother, if not.. haha