Author Topic: [FF7][FAQ] 7th Heaven Frequently Asked Questions  (Read 528336 times)

weltall

• View Profile
Re: Re: [FF7] Tifa's Final Heaven - 7th Heaven Mod Tutorial
« Reply #500 on: 2015-06-17 15:34:26 »
Little question.
A group of French FFVII fans made a total french retranslation in fr of the game. The patch is an installer, who alters ff7.exe

I use a 7H working fine install of the game.
I think it's uncompatible, but if I try to run this exe, will 7H continue to work ?

The sure is Beacause did not work that way. I tried some ways to install the English retranslation without success. Altering the FF7.exe messes things up for sure.

As a sidenote, at least up to the point i tested and not including Red Werewolf which I did not test, everything works afar from Menu Overhaul and in the Tweaks and Cheats the "Skip Cutscene" option. I never checked the actual cheats from it though onl the tweeks so I do not know about invincible, lucky Cait Sith and Tifa or no Random battles and Save anywhere. Also in gameplay the only one I used was Scene Redux. But from the rest everything seemed to work nicely.

Also the only glitch I found was that if you load the Battle Models-Weapons before the Battle Models-Characters, Cloud will not have his shoulderguard in battles. Loading them the other way fixed that though.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #501 on: 2015-06-17 15:51:56 »
Little question.
A group of French FFVII fans made a total french retranslation in fr of the game. The patch is an installer, who alters ff7.exe

I use a 7H working fine install of the game.
I think it's uncompatible, but if I try to run this exe, will 7H continue to work ?

I'd have to take a look at it to see what else it may alter. Where is the download for it?

ManuBBXX

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: 2015-06-17 16:40:04 »
I'd have to take a look at it to see what else it may alter. Where is the download for it?

Here it is :
http://ff7.fr/neo-midgar/download/Neo-Midgar.rar

watkinsb94

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: 2015-06-17 17:20:37 »
Hello community  ;D. I recently discovered this excellent piece of software and am very impressed with how easy it was to get everything running in the game, especially reading through the 20 pages of troubleshooting available here in this thread. Bravo Alyza and everyone who contributed to this project.

I do have one question. Is there a way for me to import new textures and other graphics-polishing type mods into my game that aren't included in the catalogue? I'm sure I would butcher major modifications terribly and don't really want to try that, but texture replacement seems doable and I've seen some really nice looking stuff over on Avalanche's threads.

If this has been answered already please accept my sincerest apologies.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: 2015-06-17 21:09:48 »
Yep, there is.

1. Go to Workshop -> Pack/Unpack .iro archives. This is for creating an IRO file from your folder setup with all the mods in it.
2. Go to the Library tab and use the Import button to add folders and/or IROs into 7H.

There is a folder/file structure to get them working though, so I suggest you read through the 7H Tool thread for more details on that: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14490.0 --- It's a confusing learning curve at first, but if you read through all the pages then you will see a lot of questions asked and answered by myself and other users.

If you're just wanting textures (PNG files), than those are some of the easiest to setup.

1. Create a folder and name it the title of your mod (e.g. TA Field Textures).
2. Create a folder labeled field inside TA Field Textures.
3. Place the TA field textures (PNG files) inside of the field folder.
4. Go to the Library tab and click the Import button. Use the From folder tab to browse for TA Field Textures.
5. Activate and Play :)

If you are want to know why the folder has to be labeled field, then just ask. There is a specific reason for that and it cannot be labeled anything else.

We want to make a guide for creating mods to be Imported into 7H because we know there will be cases in which users want to use mods not included in the Catalog or for personal use. Kaldarasha has expressed interest in writing up this guide. I think I would like to give it a shot this summer also.

watkinsb94

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: 2015-06-17 22:29:11 »
Thank you so much for the speedy reply. I think I understand the jist of what you've told me, from the OP on the thread you linked. Essentially when the game would originally use the files from within the normal installation, the wrapper redirects where it looks to the file structure you import within the folder that is named after your mod, which is why the field texture folder has to be named precisely "field", as that is what it is named in the vanilla installation.

I saw what Kaldarasha has started up in the "Barret's Hideout" thread, but it looked rather complex and jargonistic to me at first glance so I ignored it. Is that relevent to what you're telling me?

Here is the thread I'm referring to: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15985.0

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: 2015-06-18 10:01:40 »
We want to make a guide for creating mods to be Imported into 7H because we know there will be cases in which users want to use mods not included in the Catalog or for personal use. Kaldarasha has expressed interest in writing up this guide. I think I would like to give it a shot this summer also.

I'm so sorry to not have updated this! 7th heaven is a great tool with many functions I knew, but for some I don't know how they work exactly. Thanks to a wish iros has fulfilled for me the tool is very expandable through other tools (because it can edit things which are not part of the original game like files of Ficedula's ultrasound - in theory).
Creating a bootleg like mod is a piece of cake, but then we hadn't needed this tool at all. I'm still working on a basic presentation mod with a tutorial, but can't say when I ready with it.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: 2015-06-18 15:16:54 »
Thank you so much for the speedy reply. I think I understand the jist of what you've told me, from the OP on the thread you linked. Essentially when the game would originally use the files from within the normal installation, the wrapper redirects where it looks to the file structure you import within the folder that is named after your mod, which is why the field texture folder has to be named precisely "field", as that is what it is named in the vanilla installation.

Close. The vanilla installation doesn't have any PNG files, so Aali's Custom Driver was made to enable that. Field is the name of the folder used in the Aali modpath. Textures for battle scenes, world map, spells, and menu elements are also enabled through Aali's modpath. If you ever installed mods in the past using Bootleg Configurator, then you'd have become familiar with these folders.

I saw what Kaldarasha has started up in the "Barret's Hideout" thread, but it looked rather complex and jargonistic to me at first glance so I ignored it. Is that relevent to what you're telling me?

Here is the thread I'm referring to: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15985.0

It's relevant to anyone wanting to learn the ins-and-outs of 7H. I think a more basic guide is needed for beginners, but it seems Kaldarasha is short on time these days. He's a family man with kids, so I can understand why things are updating slowly for him. He's also German, so be patient with his English :)

Scrat

• Don't eat yellow snow... even if it might be beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: 2015-06-18 19:30:43 »
Nah, I don't accept workarounds. I want to fix it, so I'll take a look at it :)

I love this attitude, thank you. You are amazing

username

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: 2015-06-19 17:28:43 »
Is it possible to use the software or compatible mods with a 60fps battle modded installation of the game?  I would like to add mods to it but it requires very specific battle/magic LGP's and to be launched via HextLaunch.exe but Bootleg and your own program need to do their own thing like using their own launcher or they might be making changes to the LGP's which might mean the 60fps stops working.  I'm not very savvy with the entire modding process for FF7.  I do see it's on the TODO list.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: 2015-06-19 20:33:11 »
I'm not too familiar with using HextLaunch, but you can give it a try yourself. Go to Workshop -> Settings and in the "Also Launch" box, put in the path for where your HextLaunch.exe is located. It should launch it in conjunction with the game after you click the Launch Game button to play.

Scrat

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: 2015-06-19 20:59:26 »
Hey guys, I am getting a glitch error message I am familiar with, I just want to check I am not going to break the game by implementing.

So I am getting error message feedback, something like glitch: error missing field mdsv/blah blah

Im not overly concerned, I am happy with the way the game looks and happy to carry on playing.

I just want to know if adding the following lines to OpenGL.cfg will work when using 7th heaven?

# Disable Error Notifications
disable_popup = on

(I know this is sort of a workaround, so the exact error message I am getting is:
GLITCH: Missed palette write to external texture field/mds7/mds7_15

I have also had a couple of others, but not near savepoints, this occurs the first time I approach the Avalanche base/7th heaven bar area

I have tried moving my load order around, I have had to put the battle character models before ChaoS to change the character models. I can list my load order if this is the problem. I have disabled the gameplay and story mod as yuffie kept killing me in the first battle instead of the intro NPCs :P)

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: 2015-06-19 22:20:20 »
This gets asked a lot, so I will add it to the FAQ section. It's an Aali Driver feature that was put in 0.8.x. Previous versions allowed for the disable_popup = on to get rid of it, but Aali chose for it to be permanent now (no luck trying to convince him to change it back).

The glitch message is just something from the mods themselves communicating with Aali's Driver, but won't affect your gameplay.

username

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: 2015-06-20 01:24:07 »
I'm not too familiar with using HextLaunch, but you can give it a try yourself. Go to Workshop -> Settings and in the "Also Launch" box, put in the path for where your HextLaunch.exe is located. It should launch it in conjunction with the game after you click the Launch Game button to play.

It works.  Ran into trouble with my install that used the original game converter, it wouldn't change things like music plugin or use any kind of textures, only game models worked.  All probably some mistake I made, however works fine with new install with your customised game converter.  As expected it messes up when there's changes to integrity depended on by the 60fps battle mod such as character battle models which makes the animations go too fast like they would without the properly customised battle/magic LGP's.  Everything else works like a charm and now I have an easy WYSIWG method of installing/uninstalling mods while having 60fps battles.  I haven't done any serious testing of course, also "Battle models enemies" remain untried, I'm guessing avoiding things that cause animation changes is key and your handy warnings helped me avoid changes to the executable.  Nice work and thanks for your help.

Scrat

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: 2015-06-20 07:03:28 »
SO just to be clear, is there a problem with my setup which causes these popups? or is it something that will basically always happen?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: 2015-06-20 07:17:08 »
It's not related to your setup. It's a problem with the way the mod and Aali's Driver communicate. Those glitches have always been there, and will always remain there. The only difference between now and prior to Aali Driver 0.8.x is that you cannot add the disable_popup = on line to the config file to hide them. They will appear only once though, so any later visits to that same field scene should not cause the popup anymore.

Scrat

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: 2015-06-20 08:06:01 »
Ah, fair enough. Thanks for the info :)

Falcon216

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: 2015-06-20 12:14:05 »
Long time qhimm lurker, first time poster. Hi everyone
This is fantastic work, and it really streamlines the modding. Thanks to everyone who has been putting it all together!

I am running the steam release.
Battle/magic/field upscales simply are not working in the game. Everything else works fine (sans MO - that is one touchy mod for me). I have had no problems running game edits, model replacements, music. Just the textures. Even activated, they just don't seem to be there in any way.
FF7_GC notes no errors or issues in the conversion. APP.log shows the 0.8.1b driver is functioning as intended. The openGL options all function, internal upscaling, shaders, tex cache, etc.

I'm really at a loss here, and feel that there's something simple I am missing.
Any help?

simone115

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: 2015-06-20 15:58:37 »
Hi everyone I have a problem with the 7th heaven. I downloaded the tool and did everything showed on the tutorial and when I launch everything seems to work fine except for one thing: the background music. The music is the only thing that doesn't work at all and I don't know what to do. I tried to reinstall everything, i tried tifa's bootleg too but I had the same problem as before. the mods that I installed were only for the graphics so I don't know why the background music doesn't work.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: 2015-06-20 18:53:46 »
Long time qhimm lurker, first time poster. Hi everyone
This is fantastic work, and it really streamlines the modding. Thanks to everyone who has been putting it all together!

I am running the steam release.
Battle/magic/field upscales simply are not working in the game. Everything else works fine (sans MO - that is one touchy mod for me). I have had no problems running game edits, model replacements, music. Just the textures. Even activated, they just don't seem to be there in any way.
FF7_GC notes no errors or issues in the conversion. APP.log shows the 0.8.1b driver is functioning as intended. The openGL options all function, internal upscaling, shaders, tex cache, etc.

I'm really at a loss here, and feel that there's something simple I am missing.
Any help?

Is your Aali modpath set correctly in Workshop -> Settings? They should point to the [gamedir]\mods\Textures folder and FF7 Game Converter should have created that folder for you.

Hi everyone I have a problem with the 7th heaven. I downloaded the tool and did everything showed on the tutorial and when I launch everything seems to work fine except for one thing: the background music. The music is the only thing that doesn't work at all and I don't know what to do. I tried to reinstall everything, i tried tifa's bootleg too but I had the same problem as before. the mods that I installed were only for the graphics so I don't know why the background music doesn't work.

Are you not running any of the music options from the Media - Music and Sound category? If not, you need to move your .ogg music files from the [gamedir]\data\music_ogg folder into the music\vgmstream folder. This will be done automatically by the STEP 1 Game Converter in the next update I release.

Also make sure the word music is added into the Extra Folders tab under Workshop -> Settings.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-20 18:55:56 by EQ2Alyza »

Rotoplo

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: 2015-06-20 19:01:07 »
Hi,

Your tutorial is great and I got it working like a charm.
Installed a retranslation in FR (neomidgar) and its working fine too.

The only problem I have is with the mod "Menu Overhaul" which is in english. Dunno if I should ask this here but is there any translation ?

Tried to extract files but dunno how I could translate them. (I can help with translation if needed though).

Thx for this :)

Scrat

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: 2015-06-21 10:10:56 »
ok, so I think I have a problem with my registry keys... or maybe my load order.

This is route I have taken.

Initially I did a fresh reinstall, redownloaded FF7 (using steam version on windows 8) cleaned the registry keys, however I did not run ccleaner... not sure why now I think about it my logic was flawed.

Error 1) Couldn't get HD battle models, switched load order so that battle - characters was above CHaOS, worked fine.

Error 2 ) Yuffie killed me, went vanilla on the gameplay mod, worked fine

Missing Palettes, not really an error but I played with my load order before asking about it.

Error 3) Latest Error, as time goes on everyone attacks Tifa. No matter where she is in the party. At first it was just melee attacks that focused on her, but now its magic as well. Not had many ranged enemy encounters.

I think I need to do a fresh reboot again, but if anyone can see an obvious error, please let me know

Current Load order

Red Werewolf
Battle Models - Characters
CHaOS
Battle Models - Weapons
Battle Models - Enemies
Field Textures
no real order after that

Falcon216

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: 2015-06-21 14:27:04 »
Is your Aali modpath set correctly in Workshop -> Settings? They should point to the [gamedir]\mods\Textures folder and FF7 Game Converter should have created that folder for you.

Everything was/is set up as intended, it seems to have been the load order.
I moved the texture replacements above everything but the battle weapon models and it began working. From playing with the load order for a f̶o̶r̶t̶n̶i̶g̶h̶t̶  while my guess is that for some reason character field/world model replacements had been interfering with texture loading.

I'll have to add that I mistakenly used the bootleg converter first. But after manually scrubbing all FF7 registry entries, ran the 7H version, and haven't had an issue so far.

(edits: spelling and grammar)
« Last Edit: 2015-06-21 16:47:46 by Falcon216 »

simone115

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: 2015-06-21 15:52:51 »
Hi again and thanks a lot to EQ2Alyza for helping me before...i have a new problem now xD...

So the problem is: when I have to fight against a boss the battles are all messed up, 
example 1: when you have to fight the big plant after rescuing Aerith from Hojo I don't get the battle with the plant but with a random encounter.
example 2: when you have to fight against the optional boss in the lake after the chocobo ranch I don't get the monster but I have to fight with Rufus
If you know why please tell me, sorry for my bad english :P
« Last Edit: 2015-06-21 15:54:24 by simone115 »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: 2015-06-21 17:53:27 »
ok, so I think I have a problem with my registry keys... or maybe my load order.

This is route I have taken.

Initially I did a fresh reinstall, redownloaded FF7 (using steam version on windows 8) cleaned the registry keys, however I did not run ccleaner... not sure why now I think about it my logic was flawed.

Error 1) Couldn't get HD battle models, switched load order so that battle - characters was above CHaOS, worked fine.

Error 2 ) Yuffie killed me, went vanilla on the gameplay mod, worked fine

Missing Palettes, not really an error but I played with my load order before asking about it.

Error 3) Latest Error, as time goes on everyone attacks Tifa. No matter where she is in the party. At first it was just melee attacks that focused on her, but now its magic as well. Not had many ranged enemy encounters.

I think I need to do a fresh reboot again, but if anyone can see an obvious error, please let me know

Current Load order

Red Werewolf
Battle Models - Characters
CHaOS
Battle Models - Weapons
Battle Models - Enemies
Field Textures
no real order after that

I've never heard before of enemies always attacking only one character, so not sure what a solution could be for that. I do advise in getting rid of Red Werewolf and CHaOS for now. The next update is going to remove their categories from the Catalog, and I will put their models and features into some of the other categories after some thorough testing. If you want to help with that, I may be able to set you up with a test Catalog for it.

Hi again and thanks a lot to EQ2Alyza for helping me before...i have a new problem now xD...

So the problem is: when I have to fight against a boss the battles are all messed up, 
example 1: when you have to fight the big plant after rescuing Aerith from Hojo I don't get the battle with the plant but with a random encounter.
example 2: when you have to fight against the optional boss in the lake after the chocobo ranch I don't get the monster but I have to fight with Rufus
If you know why please tell me, sorry for my bad english :P

It could be one of two things that I know causes the wrong enemies in battle:

1. Your last post mentioned doing a Bootleg install in the past, so you may not have cleaned your registry keys of that before using the 7H version of the Game Converter in STEP 1. There are directions for doing this in the FAQ on the first page.

2. You are using Red Werewolf / CHaOS which have had reports of wrong enemies in the past. Deactivate them and wait until the next 7H Catalog update for the fixed options.