Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4837208 times)

kekko1285

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #9125 on: 2020-03-26 18:51:52 »
2.0 is delayed, will make a post about it in more detail.

:'(

AuthenticM

• View Profile
« Reply #9126 on: 2020-03-26 21:02:54 »

What were you using to play the game (1998, Steam, R06, 7h 1.0, 7h 2.0) and are there other mods in play? It's likely some issue with memory or the driver.

Regarding 2.0, there's too much been going on the last couple of weeks and I decided to delay it rather than continue rushing it. To make up for it, I've put some stuff together for a 1.5 patch that has some additional features/content to go along with bugfixes. That'll be going out tonight or tomorrow.
Ah, that's a bummer. But it's understandable of course; you need to progress at your own pace. Lots of bad stuff is happening in the world right now. Take your time. We all have our priorities.

I have a suggestion that could go into 2.0. It's a small thing but I think it's important. My friend was playing New Threat the other day, and he was having a blast as it was his first time playing FF7 at all. His enjoyment ran into a hiccup when he got to the end of the first disc though. When it came time for Cloud to swing his sword at Aerith, my friend made the wrong choice. The dialogue choices are "go ahead" and "wait". My friend, having not played the game before but knowing that Aerith died, thought that this dialogue choice was in the original vanilla game and that it was a typical JRPG dialogue choice that had zero effect on story. So he chose "wait", which lead to Cloud using a phoenix down on Aerith after the boss. My friend thought that the mod was going to ask the player directly if they wanted to keep Aerith alive, so when the game asked him to save his progress, he did, and of course he only had one save slot used because this is Final Fantasy and not Mass Effect (I told him to lose this habit).

When he realized his mistake, he was upset because he wanted to experience the true storyline as he was really liking the story so far. Since he didn't know that Aerith could be reverted back to being dead once the player reaches the Highwind, he downloaded a save file from the Internet and picked the game back up where he was, but sans New Threat. While he is still very much enjoying the story, he misses New Threat a lot because he finds the vanilla combat really brain-dead and unchallenging. I knew he'd find it that way, which is why I suggested New Threat to him in the first place.

So with the context out of the way, could I suggest an alteration to the text of the dialogue choices that are offered to the player when they reach that part of the game? It would make it clearer for everyone what the effect of the choices are. The thing is, even for players who know going in that New Threat allows them to keep Aerith alive, the dialogue choices are not crystal clear as to how they are going to play out. They don't need to be brash or crude like "kill aerith" or "save aerith"; I was thinking more of something more descriptive along the lines of "Proceed with the canonical storyline" and "Diverge from the canonical storyline". I think it's fine, and preferable, if the text isn't diegetic, since it really only exists for the benefit of the player.

What do you all think?
« Last Edit: 2020-03-26 21:09:08 by AuthenticM »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9127 on: 2020-03-26 22:40:22 »
There is an issue in 7h that prevents flevel been processed from a too far down subfolder, , but that is an issue in 1.5 as well as 2.0, when I personally tested dec 30 NT 1.5 on 7h 2.0 (standalone iro, and gameplay), the flevel was definitely working, I had the custom field dialogs such as barret asking me about the music and the save points.

Hopefully this gets figured out as I love NT, and I love 7h as well.

I think the issue was eventually figured out to be that Reunion's removal from the catalog bumped NT into an ID that incorrectly set it as incompatible with certain mod types.

Ah, that's a bummer. But it's understandable of course; you need to progress at your own pace. Lots of bad stuff is happening in the world right now. Take your time. We all have our priorities.

I have a suggestion that could go into 2.0. It's a small thing but I think it's important. My friend was playing New Threat the other day, and he was having a blast as it was his first time playing FF7 at all. His enjoyment ran into a hiccup when he got to the end of the first disc though. When it came time for Cloud to swing his sword at Aerith, my friend made the wrong choice. The dialogue choices are "go ahead" and "wait". My friend, having not played the game before but knowing that Aerith died, thought that this dialogue choice was in the original vanilla game and that it was a typical JRPG dialogue choice that had zero effect on story. So he chose "wait", which lead to Cloud using a phoenix down on Aerith after the boss. My friend thought that the mod was going to ask the player directly if they wanted to keep Aerith alive, so when the game asked him to save his progress, he did, and of course he only had one save slot used because this is Final Fantasy and not Mass Effect (I told him to lose this habit).

When he realized his mistake, he was upset because he wanted to experience the true storyline as he was really liking the story so far. Since he didn't know that Aerith could be reverted back to being dead once the player reaches the Highwind, he downloaded a save file from the Internet and picked the game back up where he was, but sans New Threat. While he is still very much enjoying the story, he misses New Threat a lot because he finds the vanilla combat really brain-dead and unchallenging. I knew he'd find it that way, which is why I suggested New Threat to him in the first place.

So with the context out of the way, could I suggest an alteration to the text of the dialogue choices that are offered to the player when they reach that part of the game? It would make it clearer for everyone what the effect of the choices are. The thing is, even for players who know going in that New Threat allows them to keep Aerith alive, the dialogue choices are not crystal clear as to how they are going to play out. They don't need to be brash or crude like "kill aerith" or "save aerith"; I was thinking more of something more descriptive along the lines of "Proceed with the canonical storyline" and "Diverge from the canonical storyline". I think it's fine, and preferable, if the text isn't diegetic, since it really only exists for the benefit of the player.

What do you all think?

It's a tricky situation. It was originally set up as a surprise (there was no option) so when the choice was added I had to decide between either explicitly stating what the options were and losing that element of surprise, or retain the surprise while knowing that it wouldn't be immediately obvious what each option was going to do. What I could do is set up a secondary choice so that if people don't like what transpired they get a chance to change it afterwards.

evermuzik

• View Profile
« Reply #9128 on: 2020-03-27 00:49:10 »
Amazing mod. Thanks for the help last week! Ive put in 60 hours and Im having a blast. Im having a new issue tho.

Working on the Sleeping Forest sidequest at endgame. I enter the dark cave, and its CLoud and Barret. They talk briefly and then nothing happens. I cant move and no further dialog happens no matter what I do. Its as if a script didnt load properly or something. Any advice?

Drayenn

• View Profile
« Reply #9129 on: 2020-03-27 01:49:46 »

What were you using to play the game (1998, Steam, R06, 7h 1.0, 7h 2.0) and are there other mods in play? It's likely some issue with memory or the driver.

Playing on steam, no 7H or anything like that.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9130 on: 2020-03-27 09:33:57 »
Amazing mod. Thanks for the help last week! Ive put in 60 hours and Im having a blast. Im having a new issue tho.

Working on the Sleeping Forest sidequest at endgame. I enter the dark cave, and its CLoud and Barret. They talk briefly and then nothing happens. I cant move and no further dialog happens no matter what I do. Its as if a script didnt load properly or something. Any advice?

Disable other mods temporarily then play to the first save point in the reactor, re-enable other mods and resume.

Playing on steam, no 7H or anything like that.

I'll check through to make sure there's no issues with attack/AI.

AuthenticM

• View Profile
« Reply #9131 on: 2020-03-27 23:41:19 »
It's a tricky situation. It was originally set up as a surprise (there was no option) so when the choice was added I had to decide between either explicitly stating what the options were and losing that element of surprise, or retain the surprise while knowing that it wouldn't be immediately obvious what each option was going to do. What I could do is set up a secondary choice so that if people don't like what transpired they get a chance to change it afterwards.

I understand. I think adding a second choice (just as Cloud wants to use the phoenix down on Aerith) would be appreciated, as I think the frustration that comes with an unwanted scenario is preferable to avoid over keeping an element of surprise. I would also say that New Threat offering the option to keep Aerith alive perhaps isn't really a surprise anymore, as the mod has been out for years and has some amount of notariety among the FF fan base.

With that said, I'd like to also bring forward two bugs that could be fixed in 2.0, both related to music.

The first is during the post-Jenova-battle scene after Aerith's death. When the characters mourn Aerith, right before Cloud picks up her body (or uses the phoenix down on her), the music that plays is the Aerith Church track, not the iconic sad theme. Then when the game transitions to the scene where Cloud puts the body in water, it's the correct music again. This bug seems to happen regardless of the choice made before the Jenova battle.

The second bug isn't born out of the mod; it's something present in every FF7 rerelease since the original game was released, and something that Square doesn't seem interested in patching. The music that plays during the pivotal scene in which Cloud kills Sephiroth (in the real flashback) isn't the right one. It's supposed to be Cloud's theme, at a very precise moment when the music crescendos; instead, it's the Mako Reactor theme. I timestamped a video at the correct moment during a playthrough of the game: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/465552182?t=2h39m6s (the streamer is aware of the bug and goes on to find a video of the original scene as it is meant to be played). It would be really nice of you if you could fix that bug for us, because Square won't. It's been years and they keep porting the game with the bug, and it's frustrating because that scene is the most important scene of the game.

Thanks!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9132 on: 2020-03-28 00:09:49 »
I understand. I think adding a second choice (just as Cloud wants to use the phoenix down on Aerith) would be appreciated, as I think the frustration that comes with an unwanted scenario is preferable to avoid over keeping an element of surprise. I would also say that New Threat offering the option to keep Aerith alive perhaps isn't really a surprise anymore, as the mod has been out for years and has some amount of notariety among the FF fan base.

With that said, I'd like to also bring forward two bugs that could be fixed in 2.0, both related to music.

The first is during the post-Jenova-battle scene after Aerith's death. When the characters mourn Aerith, right before Cloud picks up her body (or uses the phoenix down on her), the music that plays is the Aerith Church track, not the iconic sad theme. Then when the game transitions to the scene where Cloud puts the body in water, it's the correct music again. This bug seems to happen regardless of the choice made before the Jenova battle.

The second bug isn't born out of the mod; it's something present in every FF7 rerelease since the original game was released, and something that Square doesn't seem interested in patching. The music that plays during the pivotal scene in which Cloud kills Sephiroth (in the real flashback) isn't the right one. It's supposed to be Cloud's theme, at a very precise moment when the music crescendos; instead, it's the Mako Reactor theme. I timestamped a video at the correct moment during a playthrough of the game: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/465552182?t=2h39m6s (the streamer is aware of the bug and goes on to find a video of the original scene as it is meant to be played). It would be really nice of you if you could fix that bug for us, because Square won't. It's been years and they keep porting the game with the bug, and it's frustrating because that scene is the most important scene of the game.

Thanks!

I'll sort those two things you mentioned in the current 1.5 build, I'm putting a patch together in lieu of a 2.0 release (had to delay it, was rushing it and things have been disrupted a fair bit with everything that's going on).

AuthenticM

• View Profile
« Reply #9133 on: 2020-03-28 00:15:58 »
I'll sort those two things you mentioned in the current 1.5 build, I'm putting a patch together in lieu of a 2.0 release (had to delay it, was rushing it and things have been disrupted a fair bit with everything that's going on).

That is much appreciated!

Would you have any estimation on when we could see 2.0? In a month? Two?

In any case, thanks a lot for your work. I really appreciate it. If you put as much care into FF8's New Threat as what went into FF7's, I know it'll be something special to also look forward to!

cheers

Drayenn

• View Profile
« Reply #9134 on: 2020-03-28 07:23:12 »
Did something change? I can't seem to change party leader on the Highwind, have I missed a trigger somewhere or has that feature been removed?

Ryudo

• View Profile
« Reply #9135 on: 2020-03-28 14:08:07 »

Nice to hear about a patch fix release for 1.5! Will that mean the dialog bugs that were mentioned earlier when you use Menu Overhaul will be fixed as well? (And possibly the Field Animation fixes for Dark Cave, etc?)

And again, thanks for all your work on this stuff so far!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9136 on: 2020-03-28 18:08:58 »
That is much appreciated!

Would you have any estimation on when we could see 2.0? In a month? Two?

In any case, thanks a lot for your work. I really appreciate it. If you put as much care into FF8's New Threat as what went into FF7's, I know it'll be something special to also look forward to!

cheers

Not sure yet.

Did something change? I can't seem to change party leader on the Highwind, have I missed a trigger somewhere or has that feature been removed?

It should be available after reaching the bottom of the North Crater and then coming back on Disc 3; the NPC on the right in the operations room handles it.

Nice to hear about a patch fix release for 1.5! Will that mean the dialog bugs that were mentioned earlier when you use Menu Overhaul will be fixed as well? (And possibly the Field Animation fixes for Dark Cave, etc?)

And again, thanks for all your work on this stuff so far!

I added a 7th anim so that'll hopefully sort out the dark cave thing. I'll try a default field for the shinra basement flashback, but if that doesn't fix it then it's going to have to be sorted on Menu Overhaul's end. I think one of the options on Chris' Stock UI mod avoids the issue but can't remember which.

The patch for 7h will include some extra options, been tinkering around with it. Should have been doing that years ago but was always a bit wary about making the regular installer different to the 7h version.

GoGoGadget

• View Profile
« Reply #9137 on: 2020-03-28 22:36:35 »
I have tried multiple ways, both New Threat and New Threat Vanilla combat, to install this with the bundle gameplay mod that is included in 7th Heaven 2.0's default list.  It never installs correctly.  Only by downloading the file from here and installing it individually, but still via 7th Heaven 2.0, was I able to install it correctly. 

Thing is, it's hard to tell that it's not installed correctly for anyone that has never played it before.  Little things mess up, like characters not starting with certain materia, the chocobo encounter in the train tunnels still would happen but the chocobo model would be different and not use the abilities it's supposed to, you'd fight Plasmabuster twice in Reactor 5 instead of the soldiers encounter at the bomb site.  Kinda sucks that it's broken in the implementation that so many new players will experience it in.

epsilon

• View Profile
« Reply #9138 on: 2020-03-29 01:35:29 »
I have tried multiple ways, both New Threat and New Threat Vanilla combat, to install this with the bundle gameplay mod that is included in 7th Heaven 2.0's default list.  It never installs correctly.  Only by downloading the file from here and installing it individually, but still via 7th Heaven 2.0, was I able to install it correctly.

For whatever is worth, I have used the regular install, the reunion install and 7th heaven and all worked out of the box (7th heaven has some known problems, but those are not NT specific). What you are describing sounds like a mod conflict -- so you probably should tell what is this "bundle gameplay mod that is included in 7th Heaven 2.0's default list" and people here might offer some help.

Ryudo

• View Profile
« Reply #9139 on: 2020-03-29 01:40:46 »

Thing is, it's hard to tell that it's not installed correctly for anyone that has never played it before.  Little things mess up, like characters not starting with certain materia, the chocobo encounter in the train tunnels still would happen but the chocobo model would be different and not use the abilities it's supposed to, you'd fight Plasmabuster twice in Reactor 5 instead of the soldiers encounter at the bomb site.  Kinda sucks that it's broken in the implementation that so many new players will experience it in.

There are specific things you can check to see if it's all implemented correctly. (e.g. does starting a New Game ask you for Normal or Arrange mode), and whether or not the first battle in the game is with 'MP Trainees', etc. Potions healing for 300 HP instead of the old amount.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #9140 on: 2020-03-29 02:56:39 »
For whatever is worth, I have used the regular install, the reunion install and 7th heaven and all worked out of the box (7th heaven has some known problems, but those are not NT specific). What you are describing sounds like a mod conflict -- so you probably should tell what is this "bundle gameplay mod that is included in 7th Heaven 2.0's default list" and people here might offer some help.

I don't know either what he means by "bundle gameplay mod..." When you configure and choose a gameplay option, only that one will load. I ALWAYS download the IRO from the OP here and copy it directly into the Catalog. The mod files are never altered. Subfolders are shifted to the root folder because 7H is having issues loading the flevel from subfolders, but it's tested and working before uploading.

Try not to believe everything that is written to be true. We all play with varying setups, and in so many cases, issues tend to narrow down to the user setup.

Fauve

• View Profile
« Reply #9141 on: 2020-03-29 12:44:57 »
Sounds good. And in regards to the Mideel memory sequence, will this update have the correct music play when Sephiroth gets thrown into the Lifestream? Square messed that scene up for the PC version.

GoGoGadget

• View Profile
« Reply #9142 on: 2020-03-29 13:56:51 »
There are specific things you can check to see if it's all implemented correctly. (e.g. does starting a New Game ask you for Normal or Arrange mode), and whether or not the first battle in the game is with 'MP Trainees', etc. Potions healing for 300 HP instead of the old amount.

That's the problem, those things DID work.  But not everything else did. 

I don't know either what he means by "bundle gameplay mod..." When you configure and choose a gameplay option, only that one will load. I ALWAYS download the IRO from the OP here and copy it directly into the Catalog. The mod files are never altered. Subfolders are shifted to the root folder because 7H is having issues loading the flevel from subfolders, but it's tested and working before uploading.

Try not to believe everything that is written to be true. We all play with varying setups, and in so many cases, issues tend to narrow down to the user setup.

In 7th Heaven 2.0, there is a "Browse Catalog" tab.  This tab has a "Gameplay" mod that includes New Threat under "Difficulty."  Most new players are going to be using New Threat from there, like I did, instead of downloading the file from here, which I ended up doing and only then realized why New Threat was so hard for me.  Little things were screwed up.  For example, Aeris did NOT start with any materia, let alone mastered Barrier and MBarrier.  Red XIII did not have any materia, either.  Other little things were screwed up.

It was more a word of caution instead of looking for a fix.  I have already fixed the issue by just downloading the file from here.  But if you install it via the mod that is in the "Browse Catalog" tab of 7th Heaven 2.0, it doesn't work correctly.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9143 on: 2020-03-29 14:31:02 »
Well I'm not going to take blame for it. SC is already upset with me, and I don't want to further upset him. I unpack the same IRO you download from the OP and put the same files in there. There's nothing I can do if no one figures out why they aren't getting the same results.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9144 on: 2020-03-29 16:36:28 »
Sounds good. And in regards to the Mideel memory sequence, will this update have the correct music play when Sephiroth gets thrown into the Lifestream? Square messed that scene up for the PC version.

I had a look into it and seems that the song set up for it doesn't loop midway for a little bit like the PSX version does, but DLPB's R06 has that loop added in to make it last the correct length of time. I've added that track to the Main Installer + IRO.

That's the problem, those things DID work.  But not everything else did. 
In 7th Heaven 2.0, there is a "Browse Catalog" tab.  This tab has a "Gameplay" mod that includes New Threat under "Difficulty."  Most new players are going to be using New Threat from there, like I did, instead of downloading the file from here, which I ended up doing and only then realized why New Threat was so hard for me.  Little things were screwed up.  For example, Aeris did NOT start with any materia, let alone mastered Barrier and MBarrier.  Red XIII did not have any materia, either.  Other little things were screwed up.

It was more a word of caution instead of looking for a fix.  I have already fixed the issue by just downloading the file from here.  But if you install it via the mod that is in the "Browse Catalog" tab of 7th Heaven 2.0, it doesn't work correctly.

Sounds like the scene.bin wasn't patched either if you got Air Buster at the Reactor 5 core instead of the Bio-troopers.

Well I'm not going to take blame for it. SC is already upset with me, and I don't want to further upset him. I unpack the same IRO you download from the OP and put the same files in there. There's nothing I can do if no one figures out why they aren't getting the same results.

So assuming my 2.0 install is working correctly, NT from the catalog (dated 3/3/2020) seems to be functioning as intended. Scene, Kernel, Flevel, Hext, battle/char, all passed. Mod.xml looks correct, no typos etc.

What I'm going to do is go through all of these mods in here and put a list together of what will conflict with NT. I'll also try to set up some kind of system where the game is capable of checking itself that all required files are in place, like a global var 'handshake' between the scene, kernel, flevel, and exe. I'll add a 'Test NT Installation' option to the New Game menu which will trigger a debug battle to perform the check.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-29 16:55:41 by Sega Chief »

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #9145 on: 2020-03-29 19:20:42 »
hey sega cheif

with the omega boss fight when you first get the KOTR materia, is ice storm spose to hit omega or the party insted, just curious

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9146 on: 2020-03-29 20:31:44 »
hey sega cheif

with the omega boss fight when you first get the KOTR materia, is ice storm spose to hit omega or the party insted, just curious

Shinryu's attacks can target both the player and Omega.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9147 on: 2020-03-29 23:24:52 »
I did a sweep of all the mods currently available from the Qhimm + Mods of the Round catalogs and found two conflicts:

1) ProtomanZxAdvent's Mod Compilation (Spell/Item Names Option) - Overwrites the Scene + Kernel and in any case the descriptions would be inaccurate to NT changes

2) ESUI Controller Addon - Shows button icons in dialogues instead of the default PC text. This overwrites the flevel if it's placed below NT. Chris was in touch recently about this so I'll look into adding support for that.

For Alyza: I'm adding these to my IRO's mod.xml.

<Compatibility>
   <Forbid ModID="ace21ed7-9e32-4782-b397-1ce937bf3507">Gameplay - Qhimm Catalog</Forbid>
   <Forbid ModID="fc1ef042-8e74-4d0b-b6e9-3a88f7dfdc0b">ProtomanZxAdvent's Mod Compilation</Forbid>
   <Forbid ModID="135478f5-b53f-4960-b411-b93370dc45da">ESUI Controller Addon</Forbid>
</Compatibility>
« Last Edit: 2020-03-29 23:42:52 by Sega Chief »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9148 on: 2020-03-30 01:24:34 »
Thank you for taking the time to check.

The ESUI Controller Addon will be inside the User Interface 3.1 update (using it now in testing), and it loads below Gameplay when auto sorting in 7H 2.0. This gives Gameplay the priority (top to bottom priority) for flevel loading and could explain why I don't have the same issue. I don't use the PZA Mod Compilation, so I didn't know about that one.

Fauve

• View Profile
« Reply #9149 on: 2020-03-30 01:32:40 »
I had a look into it and seems that the song set up for it doesn't loop midway for a little bit like the PSX version does, but DLPB's R06 has that loop added in to make it last the correct length of time. I've added that track to the Main Installer + IRO.
Awesome thanks!