Author Topic: FF9 PC...sort of ;-)  (Read 7014 times)

dagsverre

• View Profile
    • http://ffsf.cjb.net
FF9 PC...sort of ;-)
« on: 2001-04-11 22:16:00 »
Looking down at my freshly retrieved FF9 CDs...what does it say on them? "PC CDROM". That's right, this very much looks like the PC version of FF9.

I'll start at the beginning. Somone I met yesterday showed me what he believed was the PC version of FF9. His older brother had sent it to him from another country somewhere (didn't ask where). Of course it wasn't FF9PC, we all know such a thing don't exist. Turned out it was five CDs, the last four being identical with the American FF9 and the first one containing a real crappy installation program which installed a (probably cracked) version of VGS and (more interesting) some of the game files, probably just the stuff that is common on all the CDs.

It's not like he got cheated or anything, since it is kind of obvious...comes in a plastic bag I've seen pictures of in those large pirating shops in Singapore. Also the print seems a bit unproffessional, like something done in a hurry.

I bought it of him BTW, since he already owned the NTSC version and I needed one for playing on ePSXe, the UK PAL version of FF9 has the most insane copy protection sceme ever seen on a PSX (checks for CD sub-block all the time not just game startup).

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
FF9 PC...sort of ;-)
« Reply #1 on: 2001-04-11 22:41:00 »
Cool... does it actually work?

[EDIT] OH YEAH, I'm a Crazy Poster!

[This message has been edited by Aaron (edited April 11, 2001).]

dagsverre

• View Profile
    • http://ffsf.cjb.net
FF9 PC...sort of ;-)
« Reply #2 on: 2001-04-12 00:02:00 »
Didn't work well with VGS for me. I run it in ePSXe instead where it runs smoothly (means I only use the last four CDs = the PSX version of the game, nothing special with the "PC version" at all)

Joey

• View Profile
FF9 PC...sort of ;-)
« Reply #3 on: 2001-05-03 07:58:00 »
That *might* have been the really beta version the pirates snuked out from square. :D

The SaiNt

• View Profile
FF9 PC...sort of ;-)
« Reply #4 on: 2001-05-03 09:40:00 »
There you go again Joey...

Anyway, the piracy in my place has gone really bad. The "FF9PC" thing is available in my country too and my friend bought it. Sigh...

They're introducing a lot of PSX games as PC games just by including VGS in them. Usually I can tell just by looking at the back of the CD's. If the CD back cover tells you the default key config of VGS you'll know that it's not a PC copy.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
FF9 PC...sort of ;-)
« Reply #5 on: 2001-05-03 11:55:00 »
haha
yea it can be real bad, i was in asia last year and i saw games labelled King Of Fighters 2000 Vs Street Fighter - Match Of The Millenium.
i looked at the back, and i saw shots that looked good, but i knew it was really the MUGEN fighting engine with custom characters thrown in.
it was a good buy for 50pence  :D it had bucket loads of characters, but the screenshots were from KOF 96 or something :O
thats how bad the actuall presentation of the packaging is out there.