Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3008230 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
if you raise it as American v English and covarr agrees then it gets added to American option. 

Might it make sense to add a new tab to the spreadsheet for "translation English dialect differences"

No. It might not.  I haven't time to be documenting lines in a spreadsheet.  Things brought to my attention get ignored or acted upon depending on if they are relevant.  If it's raised to me as an american v brit thing I run it via covarr. That's all I'm willing  to do.  Please don't write detailed posts about individual lines.  :o   All it needs is something like

"I think this may sound awkward to most americans"  - That's it.   ;)

I do read posts and investigate issues if it looks as though there's a problem.  8)
« Last Edit: 2020-03-14 23:25:16 by DLPB »

skyhawk

• View Profile
if you raise it as American v English and covarr agrees then it gets added to American option. 
In that case I'm going to, again, respectfully raise "What a nerve!". To my Canadian sensibilities, "What nerve!" is borderline archaic but sensible, while "What a nerve!" is a phrase I've literally never heard before in my life.

With a few spelling exceptions [Hi Color/Colour], I expect Canadian English and American English are probably mostly the same.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
it's already been discussed with covarr. that's exactly what i mean in the post above.

I do read posts and investigate issues if it looks as though there's a problem.  8)
« Last Edit: 2020-03-15 16:08:03 by DLPB »

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion

thats all i would expect

and no one has made a very detailed post on it, how long does it take to read 15 lines of text.... 10 seconds?

i have just been trying to let you know its obviously way more important to us across the pond than you seem to realize, but on the other side i think everyone knows its your mod and you can do whatever you want with it

would you rather people express interest and ideas that you have the option to acknowledge or ignore, or would you rather no one give a crap and only have 1 new post per month in this thread?
maybe you'd rather have something in between but nothing in life works that way, why be a dick to people trying to help make it better? even if you think they are failing, thats not cool
« Last Edit: 2020-03-15 16:43:37 by Orichalcon »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
have a look at the american option text file...  if I didnt think it was important, that work wouldnt have gone into it :)  Nor would I have created TextMod.

I'm sick of seeing debates and posts on individual lines - or posts on bugs with no way for me to replicate.  In future, I'm ignoring it completely.

I'll say it again - just because I don't respond to every line and bug raised, does not mean I am not looking at it.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-15 18:30:59 by DLPB »

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
With a few spelling exceptions [Hi Color/Colour], I expect Canadian English and American English are probably mostly the same.
Except American English leaves out the two most important words in Canadian English... "Sorry" and "Eh"  :P

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Except American English leaves out the two most important words in Canadian English... "Sorry" and "Eh"  :P

It's funny you should mention that.  When I started using "eh"  - especially for Leno, I was told it was a British thing or a Canadian thing - and not American... yet the original American translation uses it in FF7 as well. 

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
I'll say it again - just because I don't respond to every line and bug raised, I am looking at it.

you actually participate in quite a bit of back-and-forth with the users, and thats something that doesnt go unappreciated, IMO its a really cool thing and i certainly wouldn't expect you to keep that up all the time

I'm sick of seeing debates and posts on individual lines

uhhh, why? seems silly... i would consider the beacause section of this mod by far the most important and by nature requires lots of fine-tuning

- or posts on bugs with no way for me to replicate.

i understand this, but still seems like quite an unreasonable expectation for a pc mod, and also quite unfair to the less tech-savvy

In future, I'm ignoring it completely.

i would highly encourage this, lol

many of your responses are pretty defensive, you seem to be interpreting a few too many of these posts as 'this mod is highly flawed" or something when its definitely not true, the scope of this mod is obviously way too large to NOT have a lot of issues and personally i will probably never play this game without this mod again... excuuuuuuuuse me for not wanting every character to sound overly british when they didnt in the original script

It's funny you should mention that.  When I started using "eh"  - especially for Leno, I was told it was a British thing or a Canadian thing - and not American... yet the original American translation uses it in FF7 as well.

many americans say eh, most of the time it is pronounced different than the canadians (sometimes northerners say it just like canadians, but i hear eh with the short e sound mostly), and the canadians use it for more....if that makes sense

for americans, its almost always after a question, or sometimes its an audible shoulder shrug
« Last Edit: 2020-03-15 19:33:33 by Orichalcon »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
That's how we use it.  In fact I see it in American movies all the time. :)

skyhawk

• View Profile
American English uses both 'sorry' and 'eh', but the stereotypical Canadian uses both words much more often, especially 'eh' to indicate indifference.

There's a commonly-used word that I've heard a lot of Americans say we pronounce funny, but which word it is is escaping me right at this moment.

edit: Ah yes, 'Aboot' [About]. Particularly the Eastern Seaboard dialect, I expect, though I've had Americans comment on my pronunciation of it before.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-15 20:31:39 by skyhawk »

PeanutReaper486

• Mercenary
    • View Profile
So I'm trying to install just the 60fps portion of Reunion for a nearly-purist playthrough before 7R is released, but I'm having a few issues that should be easy to resolve.

Damage numbers are too fast, they fade immediately, or don't even show at all. I know what values in 03-Battle60fps config I could remove to fix this (this used to be a checkbox back in R03b), but I don't know how(or where) to edit any of these AFTER the Reunion is installed. You see the configs for mere moments during installation but they are removed afterward.

I'd use just the R03b version and call it a day, but there are some animation hiccups that the R05 version doesn't have, but then R05 has wacky damage numbers. Can anyone guide me in the right direction to fix the faster numbers variable?

This is the segment I need to remove from the config:
Code: [Select]
#faster numbers
5BB464 =  16
8FE1E8 =  00 02 04 04 02 00
-400C00

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
I wouldn't use any of those with R06 if that's what you're planning.

PeanutReaper486

• Mercenary
    • View Profile
That's not the plan, since R06 is built differently. I'm choosing to not use R06 because I'm also achievement hunting and I need steam's integrations for controller binds on my DS4. Since the 60fps bit is all I want, I figure it would be easier.

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
That's not the plan, since R06 is built differently. I'm choosing to not use R06 because I'm also achievement hunting and I need steam's integrations for controller binds on my DS4. Since the 60fps bit is all I want, I figure it would be easier.

although achievements wont work, i use steam's controller mapping on my ds4 in ro6 and it works flawlessly

PeanutReaper486

• Mercenary
    • View Profile
although achievements wont work, i use steam's controller mapping on my ds4 in ro6 and it works flawlessly

Forreal? I should try giving it another go then. I'm 23 / 36 on achievements, but they're all major events like Ruby/Emerald and Lv99, I could just SAM/Black Chocobo those with screenshots, but the lack of controller sucked.

PeanutReaper486

• Mercenary
    • View Profile
It was real tricky to rebind those buttons. Why's everything rebound to the numpad of all things?

The damage numbers are still too fast! Tifa's don't even draw, she just deals nothing. I'll wait it out to see if I can fix this another way.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
I'd suggest taking this query to a new thread since it's not related to R06.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Model overhaul isn't enabled by default, so even modifying Options.ini isn't necessary.

---

Hello and thank you for this great set of mods. I've had a wonderful time playing the game for the first time in over 20 years, breezing through most of CD1.

Near the end of CD1, though, in the Temple of the Ancients I've encountered a weird bug where the game gets stuck in some sort of a loop at the point where Cait Sith is reading fortunes.

I have no idea if this could be caused by Reunion or something else; I'd appreciate any tips on what might help. I've tried disabling the translation / model overhaul / 60fps battles, but the hangup is unaffected. I can't try with another set of characters because like an idiot I only kept one save.

I have R06c with hotfix 11 and the Remako mod.

Video of the looping point in the game
(here's a video from someone else on how the scene presumably should proceed)

APP.log
The_Reunion.log

Sorry if this is unrelated to The Reunion in some obvious way!

It looks like this is an original game issue but very very rare.  I've amended the script code.  I couldn't replicate but owledTeukros has confirmed working.

PeanutReaper486

• Mercenary
    • View Profile
I'd suggest taking this query to a new thread since it's not related to R06.

But it IS related to R06, as the issue is affecting it as well. 60fps battles is causing damage numbers to scroll too fast, I know what I can do to fix it on my end, I just need to know where the setting is. In either the legacy pre-R06 builds, or the current build. Faster numbers is not a setting in R06.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
. 60fps battles is causing damage numbers to scroll too fast

It's normal to scroll faster - the frame rate is faster.  Changing it will require asm programming.  It's not something that needs addressing from my side.  Also, faster scrolling means you can see numbers in multiple damage effects.

PeanutReaper486

• Mercenary
    • View Profile
C'mon lad, it's a setting in one of the old builds. If I can remove the section in 03-Battle60fps config from R05's install, then my gripes are resolved. Is there a tool I can use to modify ff7_en.exe after installing Reunion?

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
It's probably something I pick up on because I have family not far from Hamilton, ON, and we laugh about how we'll just be talking normally, and sometimes almost half their sentences end with "eh."  For example, "This just doesn't seem right, eh?" or "We're taking the boat fishing next week, eh."  We Yanks will use it as well, but usually more as a shoulder shrugging, whatever vocalization.  And yes, aboot... we just love hearing "What's this all aboot, eh?"

Nicolo

• View Profile
Forreal? I should try giving it another go then. I'm 23 / 36 on achievements, but they're all major events like Ruby/Emerald and Lv99, I could just SAM/Black Chocobo those with screenshots, but the lack of controller sucked.

I know it's kind of a pain, but I've been saving, exiting, copying the save file to My Documents > Square Enix > Final Fantasy VII > user xxxxx directory, disabling The Reunion in Options.ini and booting the game everytime I'm about to reach the criteria for an achievement, getting the achievement, quitting and then reenabling The Reunion again.

It's not too bad since there are very few achievements and the requirements are easy to track.

Salk

• View Profile
Hello, DLPB!

I was wondering if you are aware of the existence of Ninostyle's Character Models (they are hosted on Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy7/mods/4). I am asking because I found out about it only these latest days and I love its Chibi models. Perhaps you may consider some of his production to become part of Reunion's Model Overhaul?

Cheers!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
the MO i release is toward the original battle design.  but feel free to create an installer for R06 for people to use.