Author Topic: Vagrant Story's menu mapping info  (Read 4200 times)

Sephiroth 1311

• View Profile
    • http://www.sadnescity.it
Vagrant Story's menu mapping info
« on: 2006-06-22 21:55:07 »
I'm currently working on Vagrant Story's graphic menu, and I need its mapping data in order to translate it into Italian withouth being forced to use shortened words (I DO HATE them  :| ).

Particularly, I need to find SYSTEM.DAT mapping data.
This file is made up of three raw files and their palettes, and contains the game's font (I don't need to edit it, though), some strange things and then the "main" menu (well, sort of).

(this is it)

I even got the French version to study the differences between the French game and the English files, but the only thing I figured out iis that mapping info are not inside SYSTEM.DAT (so are not stored along with the graphic menu).

Interestingly, the only graphics translated in the french version are the commands that appears when pressing L2 (so, Warlock -> Druide and so on), and Square Europe remapped the word Item into Object (as you can see here, the pic is a bit different 'cause I did not cut the palette, and in the lower-left part there is Object).

But, as I said, the mapping data are not with the graphics.

I tried to replace some English .PRG files with french ones, but the game always crashes, and this bugs me a lot.
However, I strongly beleve those data are inside MAINMENU.PRG (besides, these PRG files contains both text and graphical words mapped via an ASCII table), but the French and the English files are TOO MUCH different, there are lots and lots of changed bytes (I really don't know the purpose of changing so many of them, if they just neede to translate the game), so I can't just compare them, losing hours and hours without being sure those data are there.

So I decided to ask here if someone knows something about it... even if, I believe, it's the "first time" on this forum for Vagrant story.  :wink:

Thanks in advance.

P.S. By the way, if someone knows how to expand the text of the prg files, I'd generously thank him. :)
I found just the pointers (probably I could translate them without expansion, but being able to do it is always better).

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Re: Vagrant Story's menu mapping info
« Reply #1 on: 2006-06-22 22:01:49 »
They might be using the original double-byte encodeing from the original Japanese text routines. Just a thought.

Sephiroth 1311

• View Profile
    • http://www.sadnescity.it
Re: Vagrant Story's menu mapping info
« Reply #2 on: 2006-06-23 08:04:46 »
They might be using the original double-byte encodeing from the original Japanese text routines. Just a thought.
I was talking about graphics, not text. ;)