Author Topic: [PSX/PC] Field Importer/Exporter - PuPu (v2.1)  (Read 52829 times)

Omzy

• View Profile
[PSX/PC] Field Importer/Exporter - PuPu (v2.1)
« on: 2012-08-17 03:43:13 »
PuPu
FF8 Field Importer/Exporter

This tool allows you to:
I) View the individual layers of each field file that the game reads to synthesize a background
II) Export these layers to PNGs so they can be manipulated in image-editing programs (batch enabled)
III) Import resized versions of these layers back into a format that can be played in game with Tonberry (batch enabled)
--> Get Tonberry

Instructions:
1. Use Qhimm's Garden or Mirex's Unmass to extract the contents of FF8 field
2. Unzip PuPu_v2.1.rar
3. Place PuPu.exe in the same directory as the extracted 'mapdata' folder (changed from previous release)
4. Run the program and it will automatically load all field files contained in the 'mapdata' folder
5. Select one or multiple field files in the left box (CTRL + click  for multiple or SHIFT + END to select all)
6. Select the layer you want to view in the right box
7. Use the 'Export' button to save the selected files as PNGs
8. Use the 'Import' button to convert the selected files back to the game format

Download: PuPu_v2.1.rar

Credits:
-Aali for writing Palmer, which inspired this tool

*Known issues:
Not memory-perfect (may mistakenly report 'Missing import files...' after a long run of files) - Close, re-open, and restart where it left off if this happens
« Last Edit: 2018-04-24 17:29:37 by Covarr »

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: [REL] PuPu - FF8 Field Importer/Exporter
« Reply #1 on: 2012-08-17 04:33:59 »
Oh for the love of.... please don't give me an excuse to play that game again.

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-08-19 18:47:49 »
Glad to see Final Fantasy VIII getting some graphical tools. Might I ask why the openGL driver (which I assume is Aali's) doesn't work? It seems like a curious problem :O.

Also I am glad to see you back on the modding scene as of late. Your field backgrounds in FF7 made the experience fairly fantastic :). I can't wait to see what else you cook up with this! :).

magochocobo

• View Profile
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: 2012-08-19 19:26:28 »
wow so now its posible improve the backgrounds!!
I hope in the future edit the textures of the characters models with pupu!!
Good work Omzy!!!

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-08-19 19:39:33 »
For simplicity sake, which I think is the best policy when it comes to programs like this, I would hope the field/battle model editor would be a separate program. However, it would be immensely awesome if Lusky made such a program.

My hopes are for a kimera like program, but for FF8 :).

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-08-19 21:06:11 »
Might I ask why the openGL driver (which I assume is Aali's) doesn't work? It seems like a curious problem :O.
OpenGL is a different beast, which I have no knowledge of. Aali is the developer of the OpenGL driver for FF7/FF8 and his hard work has paid off for all of us. It is apparently a lot tougher to read backgrounds into OpenGL in FF8 than in FF7, so for now, there is no driver support. When that eventually comes around, however, we'll be ready for it.

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-08-19 22:24:53 »
Programming seems to be a bit more complicated than I thought @_@.
Nevertheless, you have done several great things, and I for one am extremely grateful.
I didn't mean to pass off as rude, if that was the case. I was genuinely curious :)
I eagerly await any and all updates that are sure to come! :).

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-08-19 22:27:40 »
Programming seems to be a bit more complicated than I thought @_@.
Nevertheless, you have done several great things, and I for one am extremely grateful.
I didn't mean to pass off as rude, if that was the case. I was genuinely curious :)
I eagerly await any and all updates that are sure to come! :).
Thanks for the support--you definitely didn't come off as rude. Asking questions is the only way any of us learn  :wink:

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-08-19 22:35:04 »
Learning is the fruit of life, or said an old weird English teacher of mine once. :).
And the support is well deserved. I tried dabbling in programming once, for a whole year; but my mind just couldn't process things like bytes and hex data. Went right over my head. All I could do was basic Java stuff and made a very "Dumbed down" text game. I essentially treated the computer like it knew nothing and scripted every event out by hand, and didn't know how to do algorithms :P. I had a bad teacher, is probably why...

So seeing what you folks can do is at times baffling, and very impressive. :). So as I said before, support that is very well placed.

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-08-19 22:54:48 »
I remember trying to learn programming in high school. A big mess. The best way to learn is to teach yourself. Pretty much every project I do, I have to learn a new programming language and new concepts. I learned if/then statements and loops in a classroom years ago, but I learned how to work with binary/hex files from my ff7 modding.

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-08-19 22:59:32 »
I would have failed the class, had I not taught myself. He just threw packets at us. Told us to do work. The packets had a lot useless information, and I was told by a friend of mind that programming was all about improvisation. You cannot follow a set pattern that works every time; you have to build upon what you know and often times alter it.

Still, High School programming was messy, I agree entirely. I am tempted to take a college course on it, but as you said the best way to learn is on your own. I tried with FF7 a long time ago. The most I was able to do was custom scripting in Meteor. That is hardly a feat though; I cannot make my own programs, or decipher bytes and hex data. I suppose I would just have to sit down and learn it all, perhaps it was because I was fifteen at the time of learning too. It's been about four years. :).

Sorry about the rant, I was just relating to what you said. Final Fantasy VII modding sort of taught all that I know about computers now. From editing my registry, to editing a configuration file. It's kinda silly that I use some of the skills I learned from this forum to fix my friends computer :).

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012-08-20 03:43:01 »
Haha, its all good, I guess its just easier to learn anything when you really care about it and have fun doing it.

EditorMaster

• Hex Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012-10-09 11:33:33 »
Good job Omzy
« Last Edit: 2012-10-09 11:43:13 by EditorMaster »

Zure

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012-10-29 10:07:08 »
Can't open Pupu v1.exe

don't know why

the right folder is ....\ff8\data\eng ???

ZackNeji

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2013-07-01 23:31:33 »
Can't open Pupu v1.exe

don't know why

the right folder is ....\ff8\data\eng ???

I have the same problem.

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2013-07-07 02:17:23 »
You must first extract the field.fs using Garden (linked in first post). Then place Pupu.exe into the newly extracted field folder.

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2014-06-13 02:31:22 »
Updated main post with version 2 which now works with Tonberry  :D

*Note that the working directories are different, I've changed them and the prompts should make it harder to screw up now.
*Also, for the 1 person that already downloaded it, re-download, had a tiny bug I fixed.
« Last Edit: 2014-06-13 03:11:45 by Omzy »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Re: [REL] PuPu v2.0 - FF8 Field Importer/Exporter
« Reply #17 on: 2014-06-13 10:49:27 »
I can sense a server overload soon :P :P

senboy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2014-06-16 22:30:59 »
need help i tried extract field fs using garden but it always say no data files found

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #19 on: 2014-06-16 23:42:34 »

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2014-06-17 00:13:41 »
Haha, Leonhart at it again

need help i tried extract field fs using garden but it always say no data files found

I'm not sure, can someone else chime in on this? I haven't used it in ages, I use the same set of files I extracted years ago.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2014-06-17 00:21:19 »
Garden will fail to extract the field files if the field has been opened in another program (like Deling, or the game itself). Try closing everything else and extracting again.

BTW, Garden fails to recompile the files. It always gives me a corrupt field.fs, so it's only really good for decompiling.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: 2014-06-17 00:35:03 »
I ran into the same issues with Garden. I use Unmass w0.92 to extract the archives. Download is at the bottom of the page: http://mirex.mypage.sk/index.php?selected=1#Unmass

senboy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2014-06-17 12:24:27 »
Need help again T_T

i use unmass ( thanks to Alyza) to extract field  after that , i place PuPu in the same directory as the extracted 'mapdata' folder
it open but i only see text elixir pliss! in the right corner,... 

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 2014-06-17 14:11:35 »
Use Unmass on field.fi first. Then use it again on, for example, ...\field\Data\eng\FIELD\mapdata\bg\bg2f_1.fi

Then place PuPu.exe inside the folder that has the mapdata folder and you should see bg2f_1 show up on the left side. Click/highlight it and use the Export button to make the PNGs.