Author Topic: forum question kinda important  (Read 10549 times)

ScottMcTony

• View Profile
Re: forum question kinda important
« Reply #25 on: 2010-07-03 19:45:38 »
Hey, don't compare it to j-walking, that could actually cause something remotely harmful.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010-07-03 19:54:24 »
Square are notoriously litigious against modders (just ask Halkun), and they know about us. One of the reasons behind the ban is that people don't want to give Squeenix an excuse to try to shut us down; it's possible that the reason why Squeenix have never sent C&Ds to qhimm is because these forums do not support piracy.

Although I think the reason why CT projects got shut down and this one didn't is that Squeenix did a CT remake but might not have a FF7 remake in mind. Hmmm, now that I think about it, the fact that they've never tried to shut us down might be evidence that they aren't planning to do a remake...

Hey, don't compare it to j-walking, that could actually cause something remotely harmful.

So, what exactly is j-walking? My understanding of it is that in America (or at least some parts of it) it's illegal to cross the road unless there's a crossing section and a green light. Seriously, it would be hilarious if your government trusted you with guns but did't trust to to know when to cross the road ;D
« Last Edit: 2010-07-03 19:56:43 by Kudistos Megistos »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-07-03 19:57:12 »
Well obviously it is pretty illegal, even if the game isnt making money. I have an uber scratched version of Katamari Damacy for PS2, so methinks, hell lets get a ps2 emu since I have a new computer, and downlaod Katamari Damacy since I have the disc and play it!.Well needless to say I did for like 5 minutes and....

Fast forward 2 weeks. I get a letter from my internet company stating they know someones pirating in the house, had all the pertinent info,Filename,Ips involved, torrent client, etc etc etc.

The letter stated "This may have been done without your awareness, sometimes other users or teenagers will download things without knowing...or something like that"

Anyhow the point was the letter said stop it lol or we gonna do something about it.

So it has to be illegal to do so, even the companies dont like it, cause who made Katamari Damacy anyway? It seemed odd that the OWNERS contacted my ISP lol.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010-07-03 20:12:20 »
In addition to legal matters, pirated copies are notorious for having all sorts of problems. A number of them simply won't work with quite a few mods, have trouble on various versions of Windows, may include Animevamp's horrible 1.4 patch, or other such problems. Even if it were legal, we probably wouldn't support these versions.

If you have the legit discs but don't want to be constantly inserting and removing them, I advise making disc images yourself, and running them with a virtual disc drive. This guarantees you have a clean and legal copy, and you don't have to use the actual discs except to make the disc images; you can store them away safely forever after that.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010-07-03 21:15:19 »
Personally in my opinion there is no good justification for pirating something. It is wrong, period. And honestly if you have the game just rip them to iso's once and then you can put them back in the case and never touch them again.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010-07-03 21:52:03 »
Ive had that katamari damacy for like 5-6 years, and it went through HELL before I got a computer.

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010-07-03 22:46:22 »
So, what exactly is j-walking? My understanding of it is that in America (or at least some parts of it) it's illegal to cross the road unless there's a crossing section and a green light. Seriously, it would be hilarious if your government trusted you with guns but did't trust to to know when to cross the road ;D
Yup, don't cross the street in the middle of the block.