Author Topic: [PC] Field background editor - Palmer (0.8b)  (Read 213390 times)

Fleet Command

• View Profile
Re: Palmer
« Reply #225 on: 2009-07-29 15:03:22 »
Upload complete. Here is the link.
Code: [Select]
http://rapidshare.com/files/261416425/LSASS.zipSome notes:
1. I didn't include the extracted contents of flevel.lgp. It was 122MBs after all. You already have flevel.lgp, right?
2. The LSASS.rar contains the following folders:
2. A. "Palmer": Contain Palmer 0.3 which I'm using.
2. B. "Res": Contains the following contents.
2. C. "Res\Source": Contains the original las0_1, extracted using by EnLGP (part of Aali's LGP-MERC tool)
2. D. "Res\Work": Contains modified PNG files extracted by Palmer and modified by Paint.NET. Only las0_0_00000000.png is changed. (Since I don't want to spoil my mod just now, I have censored my insignia from it. I hope you understand. But this should be enough.)
2. E. "Res\Target": Contains Palmer's exports, namely las0_1 and .PNG files.

EDIT: Updated file. It now includes a saved game found from the Internet.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-29 15:27:13 by FleetCommand »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: 2009-07-29 15:15:08 »
do you happen to have a save where i can see the texture (or know if a place i can get a save)

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: 2009-07-29 15:18:42 »
The driver will complain if it can't find a .png it needs, check app.log for this. You should also know that Palmer cannot reopen a modified field file with good results. Always open the original and make a new import.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: 2009-07-29 15:21:05 »
@Aali: Impossible to check now... I have raised an EInsufficientPrivacy in My.Room due to PRESENCE_OF_OTHER_PEOPLE = true.

@Karmner: Upload complete:
Code: [Select]
http://rapidshare.com/files/261416425/LSASS.zipThis new file includes a saved game. Load second slot and head north into the northern crater.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-29 15:30:32 by FleetCommand »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: 2009-07-29 15:44:47 »
ok i just tried your files and your save and it works fine

All i did was replace your edited field file and copied all the PNG's into the textures folder and ran the game and it worked fine. So i know your files are fine. Are you sure your uisng 0.7 of Aali's driver ? you will proberly need to check your app.log like Aali said or upload it here.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 2009-07-30 08:23:26 »
Thanks. I can't see your screenshot but your comments were helpful. Issue is resolved.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: 2009-07-30 16:54:57 »
glad to hear to fixed your problem. but maybe you should tell people how you fixed your problem just incase anyone else has the same problem later.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: 2009-07-30 19:50:43 »
Quote from: halkun
We should be doing fractal scales and photoshop touchups. I'm wikking to try that. DO they make a fractal plugin for Gimp?

I agree with the fractal suggestion.  Doubling a scene image with a fractal plugin for photoshop yielded these results.

ORIGINAL                     FRACTAL

Granted there hasn't been any touchups but it leaves a good starting point.  I've even done scales to 400% and it still looks good.

Palmer creates 4 .png files for this scene, once I modify them and attempt to import them, I do not see any change.  I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.  I am running Vista64, if that could be an issue.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-30 19:56:11 by Otokoshi »

seifertemp

« Reply #233 on: 2009-07-30 19:58:48 »
as was stated earlier....you cannot use ANY kind of advanced filter or resize method.  It will not work because the different parts will not join up exactly.

Until there is a solution for this (and I am not sure if there can be), fractals is out of the question and so is most resize methods aside from blurring to get rid of pixellation.

This will then have the added bonus of taking away detail.  However, you must have done something more wrong because it shouldnt have huge areas of green.

I also got that white square though, no idea why.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: 2009-07-30 20:14:29 »
Thanks for the reply, I do look forward to any use of fractals one day.

Quote from: seifertemp
However, you must have done something more wrong because it shouldnt have huge areas of green.

Not sure what else I could have done.  As I stated this is one of four images that were extracted when I exported the PNGs.  This is only one of the images.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: 2009-07-30 21:05:52 »
well actually there is a way of applying filters onto some of the fields without the outline problem like this

its not a flawless method but it works on flat fields fine but it wont work on fields that have objects (like in my first picture a page or 2 ago you may notice the NPC is in the middle of the table, this is because it wasnt a flat field, but a field like the train station works and so would some other places like the stage where the play happens on your date and the first screen to the temple of the aicents etc)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: 2009-07-30 22:35:27 »
just a simple question, is/will there be any way to add high-res texture support to the world map textures in the future?  I've made a few high-res version of grass, mountains, water but the engine only grabs the top left corner at original size and tiles that, resulting in some very interesting patterns.

;ee

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: 2009-07-31 02:58:28 »
just a simple question, is/will there be any way to add high-res texture support to the world map textures in the future?  I've made a few high-res version of grass, mountains, water but the engine only grabs the top left corner at original size and tiles that, resulting in some very interesting patterns.

;ee

Good too hear that someone is having the same problem as me. I actually wanted re-do the world map with HD textures for a while but as you can see, i havent figured out all of the mechanics yet

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: 2009-07-31 03:40:23 »
If you're using version 0.7 of the driver you can do the same thing I do for Palmer with the .png textures. Simply place EXT<null-terminated name goes here> as the very first bytes of the image data, and the driver will load textures/<name><_ palette, if any>.png instead. This will not be the same as replacing the texture directly because the game does not know the size of the new texture, it'll think you're using the original texture. (And thus won't try to cut it up)

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: 2009-07-31 03:44:18 »
If you're using version 0.7 of the driver you can do the same thing I do for Palmer with the .png textures. Simply place EXT<null-terminated name goes here> as the very first bytes of the image data, and the driver will load textures/<name><_ palette, if any>.png instead. This will not be the same as replacing the texture directly because the game does not know the size of the new texture, it'll think you're using the original texture. (And thus won't try to cut it up)

That was music to my ears (well eyes)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #240 on: 2009-07-31 03:45:32 »
Oh my...  this sounds wonderful.  I can't wait to see what you guys do with the world map

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: 2009-07-31 18:18:16 »

forgive me, but i don't understand what or where to place EXT <null-terminted name goes here>.  I've placed my PNG file in the textures directory, but it didn't load when i started the game(obviously i didn't expect it too).  I created a text with "EXT fld.tex" in the firstline, saved it as fld.tex, and inserted it into world_us.lgp, and that didn't work either (also didn't expect it to).  Where and how exactly do i insert the EXT code to call up my new texture?  Can i simply open the default fld.tex in notepad and insert the line there?

lee

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: 2009-07-31 19:27:20 »
You have to use a hex editor, and it has to go in the actual *image data*, after the header and palette(s).

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: 2009-07-31 22:44:09 »
after comparing a of different tex files, i have found out how to determine the header, palette, and actual image within the hex code.  I still cannot figure out how to call my image though.  What exactly am i supposed to insert in between the palette and the image?  My texture name is fld.tex, so should i insert EXT fld.tex, EXT fld, or what?  I've tried a million combinations and nothing seems to be working once i repack my modified .tex file, it still show the original texture.

I've been overwriting the first bits of the image, then adding "00" at the end of EXT fld, but no dice, still shows the stock texture.  I'm very computer literate, but i've never screwed around with hex or programming other than VB, which hardly counts.

lee

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: 2009-07-31 22:51:27 »
Well, first of all, don't add anything, just replace the first few bytes.
You can insert any name you like, this will only be used to find the .png when it's loaded.
Make sure there's no space after EXT.
If it can't find the .png, you'll get a message in app.log telling you what it was looking for.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: 2009-08-01 00:09:34 »
hmmm, i can't seem to figure out what i'm doing wrong.
My custom texture "fld.png" is located in /textures
The original "fld.tex" has been modified with "EXTfld" inserted into the first 6 bytes of image info(after the long string of "00s"), thus highwind cannot "read" it anymore(kinda confirms the modded version is inserted into the LPG) (does EXTfld need to be terminated with "00"?)
My app.log doesn't appear to say anything about searching for my texture, everything appears normally in the log and ingame.

I know it's the correct grass texture since i initally deleted it to be sure it was a used texture(which caused it to render transparently ingame)
Is there anyway you could upload an example of fld.tex so i can see exactly where you are inserting "EXTfld"? Maybe delete the bottom half of the file just for copyright reasons(i know the admins are very cautious of such things).  I'm just banging my head against the wall trying to figure this out so i can get working on the world map(and possibly battle scene textures as well).

lee

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: 2009-08-01 00:41:25 »
Err, if you can't read the .tex afterwards you must have messed up the header (or something else). Modifying the image data will just put some odd pixels in the upper left corner.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: 2009-08-01 00:50:32 »
initally i was getting a few odd pixels in the upperleft hand corner of the image, then it moved to the bottom right, and now they seem to be gone :?  Obviously i'm in over my head on this one :-D

lee

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: 2009-08-01 01:49:59 »
OKay, did some research, if it replace the first 6 bytes of the image with "00s", i get the line in the top left corner and highwind can still view the image.  However, if i replace the first 6 bytes with "EXTfld" highwind will crash and not let me view the image.  If i run the game with the image that crashes Highwind, the default texture still loads and the app.log doesn't display any error messages. 

I think an example would be worth a thousand words, and could kick-off other people modding the world map as well.  The doors that your custom driver has opened are endless!

lee
« Last Edit: 2009-08-01 01:52:58 by pyrozen »

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: 2009-08-01 03:35:17 »
Hmm, turns out it doesn't warn you if there's only one palette. (A misfeature I implemented to make it shut up when loading textures without knowing which palettes will be used)
You have to name your file fld_00.png for it to load though, since fld.tex is paletted.