Author Topic: Square News  (Read 4010 times)

Cyberman

• View Profile
Square News
« on: 2006-07-13 15:55:30 »
Found this article floating on the net.
It doesn't sound to encouraging considering squares game quality has been ... not as good in the last few years.

spyrojyros_tail

Re: Square News
« Reply #1 on: 2006-07-13 20:10:42 »
Oh, thats just great! In-game advertising! I hate it when games do this, you go out an pay over 60 euros for a game and you get a game thats loaded with advertisements. I mean what the hell? I love games like GTA which totally take the piss out of brand names and logos, i think thats hilarious! Not that the companies would want anything to do with such a violent game! Games like need for speed underground are total ad whores, with a goddamn burger king in it!! Its not like the games companies are short on money. In the movie industry the producers and directors are getting really tired of having to write a script around what the advertiser wants (eg: teens go into a mall, stop by starbucks, buy some mocha latte). Its just going to pull the game quality down. I dunno about you guys but I hate advertising, with a passion. Has anyone seen that loreal ad "you think you have lines that make you look distinguished, she thinks your old ad tired......... react!" I mean what bullcrap is that? First time I seen that ad I couldnt belive it, all it says (so bluntly) is that your are old, for you to look good you need to buy our product! *Maddox appears and puches the advertisers children*

As Bill Hicks says "suck satans c*ck!"

Synergy Blades

« Reply #2 on: 2006-07-13 22:52:37 »
Anyone play Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory? Those Airwaves ads were just so blatant and jarring to the game experience, and appeared so often (in nearly every cut scene before each level, Fisher'd suddenly pull out a pack of his 'favourite gum') as to look simply laughable. I just found myself sighing and shaking my head in disbelief. Pretty much up there with Blade 3's classic "she likes to listen to MP3s while she hunts" with the iTunes on the laptop, which I didn't stop laughing at for five minutes.

Wuz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-07-14 02:07:18 »
i've got the matrix trilogy box set (the one which includes the animatrix, and a LOT of extra discs) and each movie has an advertisment for the movie world theme park here in australia at the start of the disc (like first thing you see before the menu)
advertisement is the worst thing in a commercial product...

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
« Reply #4 on: 2006-07-14 15:26:14 »
In general, I don't think that advertising in games is a bad idea.
Well, think about magazines lying around on tables or posters hanging on walls. Why should these mags/posters not advertise product from the "real" world?

However, of course, the advertising should not appear "stupid", as in Splinter Cell...

- Alhexx

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-07-14 16:59:02 »
Nobody complained about the obvious in game advertising in Crazy Taxi. It really added to the feel of the game.

Wuz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-07-15 05:32:32 »
In general, I don't think that advertising in games is a bad idea.
Well, think about magazines lying around on tables or posters hanging on walls. Why should these mags/posters not advertise product from the "real" world?

However, of course, the advertising should not appear "stupid", as in Splinter Cell...

- Alhexx

i don't have a problem with subtle advertisement. stuff like my matrix dvds playing an ad before the movie though - thats crap!
for example imagine starting up a game and before you see a squaresoft screen and game intro/menu you see a few fullscreen static ads.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-07-15 08:36:07 »
What about the BS Satelliview? That had commercial breaks at scheduled points mid-game! Then again, that was more like a TV broadcast anyway.

MagiMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-07-16 00:57:39 »
i don't have a problem with subtle advertisement. stuff like my matrix dvds playing an ad before the movie though - thats crap!
for example imagine starting up a game and before you see a squaresoft screen and game intro/menu you see a few fullscreen static ads.

That would suck beyond belief.

I hate it when you see real-life ads in video games.  Now, I myself actually wouldn't mind as much for a brand to be in Need for Speed - it's "realistic".  And although it's irksome, it's tolerable.  But Final Fantasy? :roll:  Imagine walking through Midgar and instead of ads for Shinra, you see posters for...Coco-Cola.  Great.  Just great.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-07-16 04:07:10 »
I like the ads in the Oddworld games. It would be ruined if there were real-life ads in there.