Author Topic: [SPOILERS] FF7 remake discussion time!  (Read 105651 times)

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion
[SPOILERS] FF7 remake discussion time!
« on: 2020-04-04 05:46:59 »
You getting it? Willing to pay full price for it? Have high/low expectations?

for me:  yes - yes - low

i'm an option 2 guy
« Last Edit: 2020-04-07 12:55:33 by EQ2Alyza »

Manakaiser

• View Profile
Re: FF7 remake discussion time!
« Reply #1 on: 2020-04-04 07:53:28 »
Yes, kinda, now very low

Not gonna lie while Im generally favorable towards everything regarding the remake up to this point, I have to say the absurd changes and "plot twists" revealed in the final trailer and by people who already played it are fcking stupid, so that definitely put a relatively big dampener on it.

Not the fact that they changed the original story and werent 100% faithful to it, which is something i never cared about, but the time travel/alternative timeline/guardian of fate strawberries is something even i deem as borderline retarded an most definitely cringe...wtf?

Gameplay and visuals still look fantastic and im still very much looking forward to it but yeah not gonna lie most recent news I would personally qualify as purely negative for me :(

*edit* also heard (although mayb "understandable" since its only within midgard) that despite the announced apparent "significant" endgame content, there are no real superbosses which have always been a major part of enjoyment from ff games for me, that thats also super disappointing, in fact almost as big of a dampener for me personally as the braindead story changes.

Oh and the fact that the "60 hour main story" is more like 25, although expected considering how companies usually heavily oversell the expected playtimes, is also kinda underwhelming.

What a shame ;/
« Last Edit: 2020-04-04 08:24:49 by Manakaiser »

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #2 on: 2020-04-04 16:18:27 »
Yes, kinda, now very low

Not gonna lie while Im generally favorable towards everything regarding the remake up to this point, I have to say the absurd changes and "plot twists" revealed in the final trailer and by people who already played it are fcking stupid, so that definitely put a relatively big dampener on it.

Not the fact that they changed the original story and werent 100% faithful to it, which is something i never cared about, but the time travel/alternative timeline/guardian of fate strawberries is something even i deem as borderline retarded an most definitely cringe...wtf?

Gameplay and visuals still look fantastic and im still very much looking forward to it but yeah not gonna lie most recent news I would personally qualify as purely negative for me :(

*edit* also heard (although mayb "understandable" since its only within midgard) that despite the announced apparent "significant" endgame content, there are no real superbosses which have always been a major part of enjoyment from ff games for me, that thats also super disappointing, in fact almost as big of a dampener for me personally as the braindead story changes.

Oh and the fact that the "60 hour main story" is more like 25, although expected considering how companies usually heavily oversell the expected playtimes, is also kinda underwhelming.

What a shame ;/

ikr, almost everything i have heard about it has been disappointing, i really really wish they would have embraced some of the old-school in the game, instead of just trying to modernize the whole darn thing

edit: thanks for moving Alyza, didn't see there was a FF general discussion
« Last Edit: 2020-04-04 16:32:25 by Orichalcon »

Kefka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2020-04-04 21:01:52 »
It's funny (or rather, sad) how my expectations have declined over the years, not just regarding the FF7 remake, but Square Enix in general. There was a time when I actually wished for a remake of FF7 with modern graphics and voice-acting, but that was in the early 2000s (looong ago, I know). Back when Sakaguchi was still in charge, I never had any doubt that a new Final Fantasy game would fulfill all the prerequisites that I expect from a good rpg.

Part 10 and 12 deviated from this traditional approach, which was disliked by some players, but they were still good rpgs overall, so my expectations hadn't dropped that much by then, even though I found it a bit sad that Final Fantasy had strayed from its roots. Up until this point, I had always tried to avoid spoilers for any new FF game as much as possible, never reading any news or watching any videos about it, since I wanted to discover everything (including who the cast of the player party was) on my own. For the previous games, all I ever knew about them before buying them was maybe the name of the main character, but beyond that... nothing. And I liked it that way, because the games could surprise me so much more than if any content had been spoilered to me.

But then came the big bummer... FF13. As usual, I avoided any and all news, and thus bought it without thinking twice, and started my playthrough completely unbiased, and... The first 2-3 hours of combat were still somewhat enjoyable, as I was convinced that I would reach the first town any time now. Further hours of non-stop battling followed... my mood got a bit worse, but I kept going, still hoping that the seemingly endless chain of battles would eventually end and I would get to the first town to do something other than battling for once (Go shopping, talk to the people, maybe play a minigame or discover a sidequest or some such. After all, an rpg lives on variety, right?)... but the further I progressed, the more it dawned on me that the variety I was seeking would not be forthcoming anymore...that the entire game was indeed just one long battle marathon from beginning to end, with nothing else in-between... my initial excitement over a new FF game had gradually diminshed, and during the final third or so of the game it became a chore rather than a fun freetime investment. I merely wanted to get it over with. This had never happened to me before: at first I was looking forward to getting to play a new FF game, but towards the end I was actually looking forward to not having to play it anymore!

FF13 was the game that lead me to change my approach towards new rpgs. From now on, I would carefully inform myself before I would even consider spending money on any new FF game, despite being spoilered that way. That was the last time that I blindly bought an FF game, as my faith in Square Enix had been deeply shaken. In fact, I haven't bought anything from them ever since except for the steam versions of the PS1 games. I didn't buy the two sequels to 13, and also not FF15, even though I got my hopes up again when they initially announced a world map for it. But following news dampened my expectations for FF15 again, such as scraping the world map idea again, a retarded action combat system, and worst: spreading the story over several media (the game, a movie, an anime series, DLCs), so that those who only played the game itself wouldn't even be able to grasp it. Thus I also ended up skipping FF15, once again being dissappointed in a main FF game, but at least not wasting money on it this time.

When the FF7 remake was finally announced, it was at a time when my trust in Square Enix had already hit rock bottom, so my expectations for the remake were never high to begin with, but Square Enix still managed to lower them even more with stuff like:

splitting it into multiple episodes
Certain gameplay contents only available if you pre-order the game (and pre-order a specific version on top of that! WTF?)
adding totally out-of-place story content (those Whispers that control Fate? WTF?)
Probably some more story nonsense from the compilation
Most likely, no world map

I cannot comment on the combat system since I haven't played a demo yet. Some say it's definitely better than that of FF15, and that there is at least some depth to it, so we'll see.

I for one don't plan on getting it anytime soon, or likely not at all. MAYBE if they ever release all episodes including all content on pc, and even then it'll probably be used copies from the secondary market at a cheap price. And that's a HUGE maybe...

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #4 on: 2020-04-04 21:30:46 »
It's funny (or rather, sad) how my expectations have declined over the years, not just regarding the FF7 remake, but Square Enix in general.

I still remember being like 15 years old and hearing that Squaresoft and Enix were merging, my heart sank to my stomach like I just found out a dear friend was murdered... not kidding one bit.

i didnt buy FFX-2 but i gave 12 a chance (way on down the road) and didn't care for it, never bought another square-enix game after that, though

but since this is FF7 i just really want to see what they do with it, of course, SE knows lots of people like me exist and so split it up so they can try to pull $180 instead of $60... 

Az

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2020-04-05 04:34:03 »
Alright, so this game is not at all what was expected after reading some of the early leaks, and the marketing has been completely deceptive. Massive spoilers, of course.
Spoiler: show
So, the "remake" is essentially a sequel to the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII that involves a future Sephiroth traveling back in time to undo what lead to his demise in the original game, including undoing Zack's death in the outskirts of Midgar.  The "ghosts" seen in the trailers are there to prevent the original timeline from being disrupted, and any action Cloud takes that influences a divergence in the timeline, like almost dealing a fatal blow to Reno in the Sector 5 Church, is physically prevented. They're present because Sephiroth has already arrived in the timeline at that point, and the game ends with Sephiroth tricking Cloud and co into killing these Watchmen and severing the chains of fate, leading to an unknown future, and in turn entirely different sequels post-Midgar.

In my opinion, this is better than just unfaithfully remaking the game. It's a sequel that requires full knowledge of the original game and extended universe. It doesn't serve to "replace" anything for a younger audience after all.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-05 04:39:08 by Az »

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2020-04-05 05:42:27 »

fern me, I shouldn't have read that. If it's true though, sounds dope as hell. I'm sure crybabies will still moan about it not being a 1:1 copy of the original though. Entertaining tears are sure to follow.

No offense.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-05 06:50:26 by -Ric- »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: 2020-04-05 06:38:19 »
:-o
HAHAHAHAHAHA! IS this for real?! It can't possibly be real... If it is... Omg, that's a new level of stupid. GG SE, you did it again, lmao. Welp, at least I didn't see it coming.  :-D

Sigh, I just wanted them to make a 1:1 carbon copy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ::) ::)

Kefka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2020-04-05 08:51:11 »
Alright, so this game is not at all what was expected after reading some of the early leaks, and the marketing has been completely deceptive. Massive spoilers, of course.
So, the "remake" is essentially a sequel to the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII that involves a future Sephiroth traveling back in time to undo what lead to his demise in the original game, including undoing Zack's death in the outskirts of Midgar.  The "ghosts" seen in the trailers are there to prevent the original timeline from being disrupted, and any action Cloud takes that influences a divergence in the timeline, like almost dealing a fatal blow to Reno in the Sector 5 Church, is physically prevented. They're present because Sephiroth has already arrived in the timeline at that point, and the game ends with Sephiroth tricking Cloud and co into killing these Watchmen and severing the chains of fate, leading to an unknown future, and in turn entirely different sequels post-Midgar.

OMG... just as I was thinking my opinion of Square Enix and this remake couldn't possibly drop any lower, they prove me wrong yet again, lol. I couldn't believe this at first, but several other sites seem to confirm this, so I assume it is indeed true:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/168653-final-fantasy-vii-remake/78537298?page=27

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/eiszuh/spoiler_containment_unit_abandon_all_hope_ye_who/

Also, the ending of the first episode is already on youtube, showing
Zack's survival

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc9j6k6ZY8c

OMG... this isn't even a remake at all, it's a poorly written, totally ridiculous fanfic, lol.

Az

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2020-04-05 09:21:15 »
Yes, it's very real. There's a bunch of shenanigans that will make you fall out of your chair laughing. For instance,
during the confrontation with Hojo on the 68th floor, Hojo recognizes Cloud and is about to reveal his true identity, which causes time ghosts to appear out of thin air and pull him out of the room by his collar. This sequence is straight out of a slapstick comedy.

The Black-caped Man

• The time........has come........!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2020-04-05 15:50:33 »
After Dragonball (with Dragonball Super), Star Wars (with Episodes 7-9) they now destroy the 3rd nostalgic childhood memory of mine/us....way to go. What a ridiculously stupid neon coloured effect bomb with 0 thought put into it.......

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 2020-04-05 16:17:10 »
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D  Hahahaha  tell me it's a late April fools?  Sounds like another bad Terminator movie.

Need I remind anyone that if you’re going to quote the spoiler, please don’t reveal the spoiler text in your quote or response.

TheSlumDrunk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2020-04-05 16:33:55 »
This FF7 "Remake" or better yet FF7 "Rape my childhood" was a COMPLETE disappointment. When i first started playing the game I was very open minded to expanding the character development of the original story and adding in some cool new side quests to once again help expand the lore of the original game. But nope, instead we get a typical Nomura F%$! up that ruins all the OG scenes by adding in the idiotic watchers of fate ghosts sent from across time to keep the balance LMFAO. BUT the most laughable thing for me was facing Sephiroth in the end game at "The Edge Of All Creation". Seriously Nomura? This guy can't write a good story to save his life. The only good games he's created are the ones where Sakaguchi has been there beside him to hold his hand and put his idiotic story ideas into check. After waiting all these years for this remake of my favorite game of all time only to have it S*#! on I swear on everything I hold dear I'll NEVER buy or support another game from Square-Enix. This company has become a joke after SquareSoft and will forever remain a joke. Hopefully all the true OG FF7 fans will speak up and show their disgust for this remake so it's not successful. But once again, you will have those FF fans who have only played FF15 who will worship this garbage and defend Square and Nomura to the end. That's the people that have helped lead this franchise to it's death. RIP my favorite game and franchise of all time.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-05 23:44:56 by EQ2Alyza »

TheSlumDrunk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2020-04-05 16:44:28 »
The real question is who wants to start a rebel group called AVALANCHE with me so we can take down the evil corporation of Square-Enix? This company MUST be stopped!
« Last Edit: 2020-04-05 23:13:35 by TheSlumDrunk »

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #14 on: 2020-04-05 17:40:05 »
this thread is killing me, i already had pretty low expectations, but sheesh...

i think i have been convinced to at least wait for a price drop on this one

i've also read that SE is seriously considering
when it comes time, they are just not gonna kill Aeris, leaving her available for the party to use

...yikes
« Last Edit: 2020-04-05 17:44:27 by Orichalcon »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #15 on: 2020-04-05 21:19:08 »
Zack is alive? I thought he was consumed by Cloud right after his assassination

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #16 on: 2020-04-05 22:03:48 »
Adding spoiler tag just in case.

FF7R is a game that, as far as I can tell, appears to be a reboot of the "FF7 franchise". However, it's called a Remake. But it's actually a sequel?

Damn, did SE just invent something here? How the %&#¤ can a Remake be a Sequel? Or is this part of the Reboot thing? Like, FF7R's story has nothing to do with the original's story (except that it's based on it), and the new told story can live on its own without knowing anything about the story it's based on? Or is it truly a sequel? Like we'll get glimpses of the original timeline and stupid crap like that? Man, if all this is true, it smells like bad innovation to me. Perhaps if it weren't SE making it I wouldn't be skeptical... Damn, this just sounds awful.

The Black-caped Man

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2020-04-05 22:42:35 »
I was prepared for what I thought is the worst...
Aerith surviving or even revived before final fight
, Cutscenes and important story scenes altered to be more action based with matrix moves and slow times all over the place (which ofc turned out to be true already after seeing the trailers) which makes them actually lose all their drama instead of gaining more (which is smth movie makers still don't understand but ok it's Nomura directing, what to expect) and a lot more strawberries like several games, no world map, sucky combast system that is only button mashing and tons of light effects and explosions that look nothing like the original and everybody turning Super Saiyan and destroying buildings and cities with a mere look......

But oh man was I not prepared for the "we just implement time travel so we have an excuse to mess with the story however the fern we want" thingie. I should have known though....wow all of this is worse than my wildest nightmares.....
« Last Edit: 2020-04-05 23:47:48 by EQ2Alyza »

TheSlumDrunk

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2020-04-05 23:12:29 »
This remake just sucks all around.

TheSlumDrunk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2020-04-06 02:13:28 »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gEXzyWToyz0

This video explains what happened during development on this “Remake” perfectly. LOL. Glad to see fans making their voices heard. Square-Enix can’t be allowed to get away with this.

Mabinog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2020-04-06 03:49:54 »
fern me, I shouldn't have read that. If it's true though, sounds dope as hell. I'm sure crybabies will still moan about it not being a 1:1 copy of the original though. Entertaining tears are sure to follow.

No offense.

This game will be interesting to say the least. I'm certainly morbidly curious.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2020-04-06 04:41:13 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 15:28:45 by dkma841 »

The Black-caped Man

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2020-04-06 10:54:19 »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gEXzyWToyz0

This video explains what happened during development on this “Remake” perfectly. LOL. Glad to see fans making their voices heard. Square-Enix can’t be allowed to get away with this.

This is indeed spot on

Manakaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2020-04-06 12:45:30 »

Must watch - genuinely hilarious for all the wrong reasons. Also, sounds nothing like Hojo or an intellectual.

LOL. Also it truly has a slapstick feel to it...

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #24 on: 2020-04-06 14:46:25 »
Hahahaha! Man I can't stop laughing...
Some reviews are out, and they are generally ¤%&#¤ SE's d#%&.

I really don't want to single people out, but this was too precious not to share:
This guy is talking about how awesome the story is while showing the most ridiculous DBZ/Matrix scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6ilUU_qROY&t=3m18s
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Nothing personal, it's just sooo dumb, I have no words.