Author Topic: FF8 Save editor advice  (Read 3457 times)

Scottb105

• View Profile
FF8 Save editor advice
« on: 2018-01-24 02:00:49 »
I am trying to unlock my final steam achievement (Magazine addict).

In short I missed both Occult 3 and 4 on my playthrough, I then rebooted to get 4 and played through to the area where you get Ragnarok, only to find out 3 is also missable.....

I really dont want to play through the game from the Galbadia missile launch again.  However when I use Hyne to edit my save file to include the occult fan magazines the achievement does not trigger.

Is there any way to hack a game save to get this achievement?

hay

• If I had a buggy, I'd cross the southern desert
    • View Profile
Re: FF8 Save editor advice
« Reply #1 on: 2018-01-24 07:24:05 »
I'd guess that function which checks the achievement is executed while you pick up an item. Not many devs make achievements retroactive. Try looking for Cheat Engine table for FF8, there's a possibility to give yourself items at runtime, which just might trigger your check.

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2018-01-24 07:45:09 »
If you are really into hacks just to get achievement use SAM:
https://github.com/gibbed/SteamAchievementManager

Scottb105

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2018-01-24 21:43:54 »
Thanks for the replies, I think my best bet is to load a save where I have all the items minus 1 then when I collect the last item hopefully it pops up.

I will give that a go, I'm not really into hacking for achievements but Having put 100 hours into this game on this playthrough and having played through the game many many times before, it will be a while before I get round to doing another run through just to get an achievement.  That one missing achievement will really bother me.

Worst comes to worst I will just look for a save around the time of picking up Occult Fan III and play on from there.