Author Topic: External HDD problem  (Read 15003 times)

whitERaven

• when the Raven turns white..
    • View Profile
External HDD problem
« on: 2012-10-31 23:05:25 »
Hi! Had worst luck last night :'(.. for some reason I can't access my external HDD all my ff7 modding stuff are there and some other important files..

It says that "windows can't access the disk" and the drive appears to have zero on both used and free space..

Does anyone here encountered same problem before? or knows a way around this without re-formatting, I really don't want to lose all those files, it has all the mod projects I'm working on..

Thanks! ;D

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
Re: External HDD problem
« Reply #1 on: 2012-10-31 23:19:14 »
take the strongest magnet you can find, and rub it all over the top of the HDD.

whitERaven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-10-31 23:24:45 »
Is this safe? will it not damage the drive?

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-10-31 23:26:06 »
Is this safe? will it not damage the drive?

Perfectly safe, I actually just had to do this to an old iPod last week, works perfectly now.

omega res novae

• previously known as squall8cloud7
    • View Profile
    • omegas mods google docs
« Reply #4 on: 2012-10-31 23:32:00 »
im pretty sure a strong magnet is how they erase all data off hdds

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-10-31 23:32:17 »
A strong magnet will degauss the drive and destroy the data.

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-10-31 23:49:32 »
what brand and type of hdd is in it?

I had a simular issue with a two week old External Seagate drive in a LaCie case.... lost a lot of data, but fortunately I was able to recover some of it through a hardware hack.

if you're able to connect to the drive, the first thing to do is make a raw image of your complete drive, and run some data recovery on the image.
(might be as simple as fixing the mbr if you're lucky)
 8)

whitERaven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-10-31 23:52:24 »
Yeah I read that somewhere too, that magnets should be keep away from drives, I appreciate if your trying to help but I don't think using a magnet will help, It's too risky.

It seems I can't perform a chkdsk for error, it just gives me the unable to access disk prompt.

So I tried doing it via Command line, It says my drive is a RAW type so CHKDSK is not available..

I'm looking for a way now to recover files from a RAW file system type, wish me luck!

@ spoox

how do I make the RAW image?? it is still visible in the drive manger

I think your method might work I just need to learn to make that raw image..tut tut, gotta research more.. too early to give my drive a funeral
« Last Edit: 2012-11-01 00:22:34 by whitERaven »

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-10-31 23:55:02 »
Yeah I read that somewhere too, that magnets should be keep away from drives, I appreciate if your trying to help but I don't think using a magnet will help, It's too risky.

It seems I can't perform a chkdsk for error, it just gives me the unable to access disk prompt.

So I tried doing it via Command line, It says my drive is a RAW type so CHKDSK is not available..

I'm looking for a way now to recover files from a RAW file system type, wish me luck!

@ spoox

how do I make the RAW image??

I can guarantee that it won't harm the drive, this is the perfect type of magnet to use, too http://www.reidsupply.com/detail.aspx?itm=IM-319&gclid=CIOqs_S5rLMCFUQw4AodxG4AqA

As I said, I just did this last week and it solved my issues without causing any additional problems.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-10-31 23:57:47 »
Magnets will not harm the drive, but they will ruin the existing data on it. A poor man's reformat, if you will. Can be useful if you already can't use it.

whitERaven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-11-01 00:05:44 »
GUess I'll try that when all else fails, I really need the files so I don't want to risk deleting them

omega res novae

• previously known as squall8cloud7
    • View Profile
    • omegas mods google docs
« Reply #11 on: 2012-11-01 01:00:03 »
Data recovery first priority. Functionality second. So magnets no. And who is this guy. He seems like some random a-hole

whitERaven

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012-11-01 01:30:06 »
Yeah.. I don't really care if I won't be able to use the Hard Drive anymore.. it is always possible to buy a new one, but it's a diferent story for lost Datas.. I badly needed to recover at those, any suggestions on how to rcover data from a RAW file system?

I decided I'll try all possible means first to recover my datas before I hold a funeral for my HDD, LoL..

Don't mind the guy omega he may be just trying to help, he just not considered the data recovery first thing, Also base on his post count and his profile his an old member here.. must have just revived lately that's why we don't recognize him.

[EDIT] On second thought after browsing thru the forum, it seems this guy is out for blood, LoL.. Almost all his posts on other threads are offensive/Aggresive, guess we have this type of people show up every now and then.
« Last Edit: 2012-11-01 01:35:34 by whitERaven »

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012-11-01 02:03:07 »
Maybe Active Partition Recover can help you.
I've had success using it to recover data from a damaged drive.

Active Partition Recovery

whitERaven

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012-11-01 03:43:01 »
Thanks, I'll try that one.. hope it gets the job done..

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2012-11-01 04:24:01 »
Maybe it's the cable connecting the external to the PC? Or the board that connects the cable to the HDD, i've had the same symptoms from that.

whitERaven

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2012-11-01 05:01:46 »
I used different cables already, it's still the same, I'm not really sure if it's a hardware or software problem. right now I'm trying to fix it using software means..

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2012-11-01 05:56:09 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 08:00:59 by Jenova's Witness »

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #18 on: 2012-11-01 12:59:12 »
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

This has saved my skin many times. As long as the data hasn't been erased or written over, or unless there's been an actual hardware malfunction, programs like this will always find your files.

Doing a 'quick' disk format won't actually erase data, it'll just delete the table of contents. So if all else fails, do a quick format and then immediately scan the drive using that. I'd try it first without formatting though.

Good luck!

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2012-11-01 13:44:29 »
White, Although i am not a data recovery professional (Which starts at about $500 and goes up to 1000) I can crack the case open and see if it's the actual HDD, or the enclosure thats bad if you'd like (though if you have a spare desktop you can do the same)

Otherwise, contact whoever made it and see if you can get data recovery service. i know Seagate does data recovery, But it starts at $500

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2012-11-01 15:30:32 »
It is usually one of three things:

1.  The drive head has crashed.  If this has happened you are fucked.

2.  The HD chip board is broken.  This can be replaced.  The chip board is visible underneath the drive.

3.  The actual external enclosure chip board is broken.  In this case, replace the external case.

The drive can make a clicking sound under scenarios 1 and 2 (possibly 3, not sure).  Always backup your data in more than 1 place.  A separate data pen or dvd/bluray.  Never rely on magnetic drives, especially just 1.  If the stuff on it is real important seek professional help.

I have 3 copies of ALL my data.
« Last Edit: 2012-11-01 15:37:40 by DLPB »

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2012-11-01 16:10:46 »

@ spoox

how do I make the RAW image?? it is still visible in the drive manger

I think your method might work I just need to learn to make that raw image..tut tut, gotta research more.. too early to give my drive a funeral

get winhex from x-ways,
it's a forensic/datarecovery tool, within that you have the option to connect to the drive (since it shows up in windows that should be a breeze).
Then you can make an image of the drive, provided you have enough space somewhere else to store it.
After that, you can go through the data of the image, when you're doing some editing it might be wise to make a copy of the image, so you can always revert back.
after done with making the image , you should remove your original drive, and don't use it unless you really have to.

If it's only the MBR (master boot record) which got corrupted, it can be repaired.
otherwise you can traverse the drive looking for specific fileheaders (that's how most datarecovery tools work anyway).
It's a bit beyond here to describe all possibilities, as datarecovery seems to be an art in itself.

and about magnets..... don't even think about it, it's a sure way to data destruction.
 8)

Wolke

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2012-11-01 16:11:54 »
The different storage media needs specific cautions.This I learned the hard way......so save your self a headache and keep these tips in mind.

1. Magnetic storage ( HDD's and the ancient floppies and tapes ) keep away from magnets.!!!!!!!!!!

2. Static Storage     ( SSD's, USB thumb drives, mem cards etc.) Keep away from static discharge .....make sure your ground yourself.

3. Optical Storage   ( CD/DVD etc.)  Keep away from direct sunlight, don't have them laying around for month close to a window.Also be careful
                              with the label side of CD's/DVD's, the underside of the label is the reflective part that holds the data. I always cringe when
                              I see people write on these with a Ballpoint pen.Scratch the label lose the data.
« Last Edit: 2012-11-01 16:22:14 by Wolke »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2012-11-01 16:20:45 »
Aren't magnetic hd shielded against magnetic interference?

Wolke

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2012-11-01 16:27:41 »
Probably a marketing gimmick, or at the very least extremely expensive. So military/defense applications?