Author Topic: [FF7] Tutorial for Bootleg - Tifa's Bootleg  (Read 2421601 times)

Gvaz

• View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] Tifa's Bootleg
« Reply #1925 on: 2014-01-22 23:16:27 »
Does it look like this?

Just the black parts.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #1926 on: 2014-01-23 04:52:53 »
Check out the FAQ section on how to fix it.

subie_king

• View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: 2014-01-23 16:45:04 »
Apparently I'm the world's biggest noob when it comes to playing a modded game.....PLEASE HELP ME!

Ok, bare with me, as I am very new to the process of modding a game and running it. But, to my own defense, I am no stranger to forums in general so please tell me if I shouldn't be posting in this thread. I just assumed I could from EQ2Alyza's original post of:

"What do I do if something doesn't work or appears broken?

Check the Bug Report and Frequently Asked Questions below. If your issue isn't listed:

1. Please post specifically what is happening when you run into your issue(s).
2. Please post your APP.LOG report, which is found in the game's installation folder.

I enjoy helping people, so do me a favor and help me as well.
"

Now forgive me on how long this post actually is, I'm just trying to be as descriptive as possible for you all...
Ok, This is now the third time that I have erased everything and re-downloaded all of the mods to try and get this to work, and still no dice! I have spent hours searching on Qhimm trying every possible thing that people have suggested to try and fix my possible problems. I have finally hit a wall, as I don't know what else to try other than erasing everything again, for the 4th time now, and re-downloading it all again.....Please help...

Also, I have my firewall and privacy protection down, UAC disabled, and all .exe set to run as admin...just FYI

Here is my APP.LOG...I believe. If this isn't correct, please let me know.

Code: [Select]
INFO: Auto-detected version: FF7 1.02 US English
INFO: FFMpeg movie player plugin loaded
INFO: FFMpeg version SVN-r19334, Copyright (c) 2000-2009 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
INFO: FF7Music helper plugin loaded
INFO: NVIDIA Corporation GeForce 8400M GS/PCI/SSE2 2.1.2
INFO: OpenGL 2.0 support detected
INFO: Found swap_control extension
INFO: Original resolution 640x480, window size 1280x800, output resolution 1280x800, internal resolution 1280x800
LOCK UNLOCK TEST
MATRIX INITIALIZE
INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
initializing sound...
creating dsound primary buffer
reading audio file
loading static sounds
sound initialized
set music volume: 127
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF CREDITS!!!
INFO: C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\movies\eidoslogo.avi; rawvideo/null 364x353, 15.000000 FPS, duration: 0.066667, frames: 1
INFO: C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\movies\sqlogo.avi; mpeg4/mp3 640x480, 15.000000 FPS, duration: 247.788000, frames: 3717
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=60
END OF CREDITS!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\save/save04.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\save/save08.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\save/save09.ff7
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
Field Quit
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
-=-=[START OF WORLD MAP!!!]=-=-
stop_sound
stop_sound
-=-=[END OF WORLD MAP!!!]=-=-
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Swirl sound_effect1
stop_sound
End of Swirl sound_effect1
Entering FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
[BATTLE] Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE
[BATTLE] Scene# 287
[BATTLE] Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE
[BATTLE] Begin main battle loop
[BATTLE] End of current battle
[BATTLE] Begin end battle stuff
stop_sound
[BATTLE] Entering FRAME_QUIT
[BATTLE] endof battle.
[BATTLE] Exitting FRAME_QUIT
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
WM_CLOSE
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=60
Field Quit
UNINITIALIZE DD
END UNINITIALIZE DD

In addition to that, here are some screen shots of how I am set up...

How my Bootleg Front End looks (Installation page)

Obviously, not all of my mods in green, but you get the idea that I have all mods DLed successfully.

What happens when I click on Run Bootleg...

Here are two shots of my folder with all of the mods and various DLs (PLEASE let me know if you see something awry here!).

What happens when I run Game Converter...

No custom driver option when I open FF7Config.exe

And lastly, what happens when I run FF7.exe...

Thanks all for your time, I hope you can help me (fingers crossed)
« Last Edit: 2014-01-23 17:14:53 by Covarr »

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #1928 on: 2014-01-23 16:49:21 »
I like your level of detail, makes it easier troubleshooting issues. I didn't really go through all of it though after I saw this "ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\save/save04.ff7". You need to try again with a fresh install to a non-system directory and double check each step of the tutorial as you go along.

subie_king

• View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: 2014-01-23 17:16:01 »
Thanks for your response....I have no Square-Soft folders in my C:/ drive....

C:/ Program Files

C:/ Program Files (x86)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: 2014-01-23 17:18:29 »
cmh175, the screenshots clearly show he didn't use a system folder.

However, why are you running ff7.exe from your FF7MODS folder? in BFE you put that the game was installed to B:\SteamPowered Games\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII

If I'm not mistaken, Bootleg installs all the stuff from your mods folder to the game's original install directory, not the other way around.

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #1931 on: 2014-01-23 17:34:11 »

However, why are you running ff7.exe from your FF7MODS folder? in BFE you put that the game was installed to B:\SteamPowered Games\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII

If I'm not mistaken, Bootleg installs all the stuff from your mods folder to the game's original install directory, not the other way around.

I generally use OSX so I'm not as familiar with Windows, but isn't the C:\Program Files a system folder on a 64 bit OS? I'm using my phone right now so didn't see the B:\SteamPowered Games\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII. If that's the case than this is weird because the game is looking for files in the programs folder.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: 2014-01-23 17:35:48 »
Yeah I dunno what happened. The game isn't looking for saves where it's installed. Possibly a registry key got screwed up, I don't know for sure.

One of these days I'm gonna have to move beyond music mods, and download and install this pack.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: 2014-01-23 17:37:06 »
@subie_king

Lots of errors need to be addressed.

1. The tutorial says it requires a minimum of 512MB of vRAM with your graphics cards. The 8400M GS only supports 256MB of vRAM, so you are going to run into memory crashes depending on what mods you choose. Whether you continue forward from here is up to you, but I won't be able to problem solve any crashes you may experience, especially if it's when you launch the game.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8400M.html

2. Your APP.log and the Converter are registering your game as already installed in C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\... which is a system folder. My guess is that you had previously had the game installed there, but reinstalled to your Steam location for use with this tutorial. Uninstall everything, delete all the game files/folders, and use this tool to clean your registry: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14421.0

After that, install the game to a non-system folder and start from Step 1 of the tutorial. Question, do you even use Steam? I've never heard of Steam creating a folder called "SteamPowered Games" ???

3. Your mod folder shows that you have extracted mods that were archived. The guide never states to extract any mods from their archives. Bootleg will do all the extractions itself. Redo your mods folder and don't extract, open, touch, lick, etc. any of the mods. Leave them as is in the mods folder.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: 2014-01-23 17:40:45 »
After that, install the game to a non-system folder and start from Step 1 of the tutorial. Question, do you even use Steam? I've never heard of Steam creating a folder called "SteamPowered Games" ???
It's also on his B drive, whereas his system drive is C. When you make a separate Steam library on another drive (which is pretty much required unless you wanna move your whole steam install out of Program Files), you can name the folder whatever you want. My steam games are mostly installed to D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\, for example.

subie_king

• View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: 2014-01-24 01:28:33 »

Could you be a little more specific in where I should allocate my FF7 install please...

subie_king

• View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: 2014-01-24 01:33:37 »
@subie_king

Lots of errors need to be addressed.

1. The tutorial says it requires a minimum of 512MB of vRAM with your graphics cards. The 8400M GS only supports 256MB of vRAM, so you are going to run into memory crashes depending on what mods you choose. Whether you continue forward from here is up to you, but I won't be able to problem solve any crashes you may experience, especially if it's when you launch the game.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8400M.html

Well, I'm not sure why or how that came up in my APP.Log....but I can assure you, sir, my graphics card has a 2GB memory...This is my card: XFX Double D FX-787A-CDBC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition Black Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

subie_king

• View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: 2014-01-24 01:39:03 »
@subie_king

2. Your APP.log and the Converter are registering your game as already installed in C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\... which is a system folder. My guess is that you had previously had the game installed there, but reinstalled to your Steam location for use with this tutorial. Uninstall everything, delete all the game files/folders, and use this tool to clean your registry: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14421.0

3. Your mod folder shows that you have extracted mods that were archived. The guide never states to extract any mods from their archives. Bootleg will do all the extractions itself. Redo your mods folder and don't extract, open, touch, lick, etc. any of the mods. Leave them as is in the mods folder.

Ok, so unzipping everything was a bad idea, right? Haha, woops.....well if I go about deleting all of the unzipped files, BUT keep the zip files, would that work too? Or do I now have to go through and redownload everything again?!?!

Also, could you elaborate a little more on this please:
"Your APP.log and the Converter are registering your game as already installed in C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\... which is a system folder. My guess is that you had previously had the game installed there, but reinstalled to your Steam location for use with this tutorial. Uninstall everything, delete all the game files/folders, and use this tool to clean your registry: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14421.0
The thing I dont understand is that I have NEVER had FF7 dl to my C drive.....so how, or why are there files there in the first place? Again, please excuse the noobness...

Thanks EQ2Alyza

subie_king

• View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: 2014-01-24 01:41:25 »
Question, do you even use Steam? I've never heard of Steam creating a folder called "SteamPowered Games" ???

Haha,yes I use steam, frequently matter of fact, and I named the folder SteamPowered Games back when I first moved my Steam files.... I doubt that is causing all these problems....should I change it back???

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: 2014-01-24 06:22:42 »
Hi subie_king,

Heavy Heavy Heavy...

I have problems to realize what you've done.
First explain me what is Drive B for a device??????? ? ?
And how much space is there?
Normally, A and B are reserved for floppy drives, I assure you FF7 does not fit on a floppy disk ;D

My Converter searches in the registry for the path to FF7.
If you have copied FF7 somewhere else, he will still find the original installation and manipulate, as long as you do not manually typing the new path.
If you have moved FF7 somewhere else, he will still abort any installation because he could not find any files.
I suspect that you have copied FF7, but not typing the new path into the Converter.

Please search on your drives for a file "FF7_GC.log", open it with Notepad and write the content here in the forum.
Maybe I am able to help you.

vanshb

• View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: 2014-01-24 06:30:56 »
I'm having a problem when I'm in a battle against 'Mystery Ninja', or Yuffie. As soon as the first person attacks, my party and yuffie just do nothing, even if I've already picked attack or summon or spell or whatever.The battle just goes on and I can't escape it, so I have to restart the game from my last save.

Not to mention when Yuffie attacks it's like she just spreads her arms and her shuriken just like goes through her body and attacks somebody. There's no sound or damage shown but they still lose health.

If this goes on I won't be able to get Yuffie, pleast tell me what to do ASAP  :'(

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: 2014-01-24 06:35:43 »
The game sometimes hangs at this point at a certain Yuffi model.
But with me it goes on after about 5 min.

vanshb

• View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: 2014-01-24 08:14:32 »
The game sometimes hangs at this point at a certain Yuffi model.
But with me it goes on after about 5 min.

I've waited for 20 minutes but it still doesn't work  :-(

vanshb

• View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: 2014-01-24 09:14:30 »
I just saw the FAQ and solved the problem, sorry didn't check before :-P

Thanks anyway!

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: 2014-01-24 12:21:16 »
@subie_king

Pssst...when responding with quotes, do it all in one post. Just scroll down on the response window and push the "Insert Quote" button for each post. This way you don't double, or in your case, triple post and clog the thread.

Well, I'm not sure why or how that came up in my APP.Log....but I can assure you, sir, my graphics card has a 2GB memory...This is my card: XFX Double D FX-787A-CDBC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition Black Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Interesting. Your APP.log definitely shows the 8400M GS, which is an Nvidia card, and yet you're using a Radeon. When everything gets sorted out and working, that card will definitely play the game fully.

Ok, so unzipping everything was a bad idea, right? Haha, woops.....well if I go about deleting all of the unzipped files, BUT keep the zip files, would that work too? Or do I now have to go through and redownload everything again?!?!

Also, could you elaborate a little more on this please:
"Your APP.log and the Converter are registering your game as already installed in C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\... which is a system folder. My guess is that you had previously had the game installed there, but reinstalled to your Steam location for use with this tutorial. Uninstall everything, delete all the game files/folders, and use this tool to clean your registry: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14421.0
The thing I dont understand is that I have NEVER had FF7 dl to my C drive.....so how, or why are there files there in the first place? Again, please excuse the noobness...

Thanks EQ2Alyza

Yes, keep all the downloaded zip, rar, 7z files as they were. Check them in the Mod Listing and if they're showing green, it's fine. It's quite a bit of files to organize however, so perhaps start completely fresh just to make sure you don't make any errors.

I don't know either, but that's precisely what has registered in your APP.log. Perhaps a long time ago you had installed it once, uninstalled it, and those are the leftovers. It's not about "dl" it to a drive, but actually installing it and what the RegistryKeys do after that. Don't worry about it though, so long as you use the RegistryKey remover.

Haha,yes I use steam, frequently matter of fact, and I named the folder SteamPowered Games back when I first moved my Steam files.... I doubt that is causing all these problems....should I change it back???

Nope, it can be named whatever you want. I was just curious if that was the default location that Steam created.

@vanshb

This has been reported before in the past, but no one ever gives their solution. Do you mind sharing what the FAQ did to "solve the problem" because I don't have anything written there for the hang with the Yuffie forest encounter.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-24 12:23:55 by EQ2Alyza »

subie_king

• View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: 2014-01-24 13:58:36 »
@Kompass63

Hi subie_king,

Heavy Heavy Heavy...

I have problems to realize what you've done.
First explain me what is Drive B for a device??????? ? ?
And how much space is there?
Normally, A and B are reserved for floppy drives, I assure you FF7 does not fit on a floppy disk ;D

My Converter searches in the registry for the path to FF7.
If you have copied FF7 somewhere else, he will still find the original installation and manipulate, as long as you do not manually typing the new path.
If you have moved FF7 somewhere else, he will still abort any installation because he could not find any files.
I suspect that you have copied FF7, but not typing the new path into the Converter.

Please search on your drives for a file "FF7_GC.log", open it with Notepad and write the content here in the forum.
Maybe I am able to help you.

Haha, yes I know. I had renamed my drive to "B" in order to keep it on top of the "C" drive (when looking at all the drives stacked) so I wouldn't make the mistake of ever moving anything into the "C" drive (which is only a 120GB SSD) by accident. Probably a little silly to do, but I like to be organized, haha. I assure you my "B" drive has the space...it's an internal 2TB Hard Drive.

I will search for the "FF7_GC.log" and let you know what I find.

@EQ2Alyza

@subie_king

Pssst...when responding with quotes, do it all in one post. Just scroll down on the response window and push the "Insert Quote" button for each post. This way you don't double, or in your case, triple post and clog the thread.

Interesting. Your APP.log definitely shows the 8400M GS, which is an Nvidia card, and yet you're using a Radeon. When everything gets sorted out and working, that card will definitely play the game fully.

Yes, keep all the downloaded zip, rar, 7z files as they were. Check them in the Mod Listing and if they're showing green, it's fine. It's quite a bit of files to organize however, so perhaps start completely fresh just to make sure you don't make any errors.

I don't know either, but that's precisely what has registered in your APP.log. Perhaps a long time ago you had installed it once, uninstalled it, and those are the leftovers. It's not about "dl" it to a drive, but actually installing it and what the RegistryKeys do after that. Don't worry about it though, so long as you use the RegistryKey remover.

Nope, it can be named whatever you want. I was just curious if that was the default location that Steam created.

I apologize about the triple post, I am used to forums with a "multiple quote" tab which I was looking for on here and didn't see....which is why I just kept posting individually....won't happen again   ;D

Ok, glad to know my fancy GPU will still be able to play a 1998 game, haha.

And, I think what I'll do is just go through and delete EVERYTHING and start a new, for the fourth time  :-\ haha. But first, I'll run the registry tool and make sure I delete everything that's old of FF7...or should I run the registry AFTER I go through and redelete everything? Including uninstalling FF7 from Steam?

Thanks again for the help EQ2Alyza, I'm sure it can be frustrating dealing with such amatures, haha  :P
« Last Edit: 2014-01-24 14:07:38 by subie_king »

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: 2014-01-24 15:02:17 »
I assure you my "B" drive has the space...it's an internal 2TB Hard Drive.
That reassures me a little :-D

And, I think what I'll do is just go through and delete EVERYTHING and start a new, for the fourth time  :-\ haha. But first, I'll run the registry tool and make sure I delete everything that's old of FF7...or should I run the registry AFTER I go through and redelete everything? Including uninstalling FF7 from Steam?
I recommend the latter variant, first uninstall everything and finally clean up the registry.
But you should know that "FF7 REMOVE registry keys" only remove the keys from the converted (old) game.
The Keys of the Steam release remain unaffected.

At one point, the converter outputs the found path and asks if he's right.
At this point you can enter the path manually.
Easy does it, if you copy the new path from the Windows Explorer as text and adding back in the converter window.

subie_king

• View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: 2014-01-24 15:13:44 »
I recommend the latter variant, first uninstall everything and finally clean up the registry.
But you should know that "FF7 REMOVE registry keys" only remove the keys from the converted (old) game.
The Keys of the Steam release remain unaffected.

At one point, the converter outputs the found path and asks if he's right.
Easy does it, if you copy the new path from the Windows Explorer as text and adding back in the converter window.

I did the latter, and am now going through and re-installing everything. I went ahead and uninstalled FF7 from steam and then ran the registry afterwards, which DID find 10 old registry keys that it deleted. Then, re-downloaded FF7 to my steam folder, etc....and now, I'm going through again and re-downloading all of the required mods.

Now, when you say: "The keys of the Steam release remain unaffected". Should that concern me at all?

Also, could you elaborate a little bit more on this: "At one point, the converter outputs the found path and asks if he's right.
Easy does it, if you copy the new path from the Windows Explorer as text and adding back in the converter window."
What are you saying I need to do here?

Thanks a bunch Kompass63

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: 2014-01-24 15:23:43 »
Now, when you say: "The keys of the Steam release remain unaffected". Should that concern me at all?
If you're using the Steam version of the game, it manages its own keys pretty well, and will properly remove them when you uninstall the game.

subie_king

• View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: 2014-01-24 15:35:07 »
If you're using the Steam version of the game, it manages its own keys pretty well, and will properly remove them when you uninstall the game.

Great! Thanks for letting me know...