Author Topic: [FF7] Text editor - Loveless (v2.5)  (Read 181973 times)

Squall78

• View Profile
Loveless - a FF7 text editor [v.1 - 2.5]
« Reply #125 on: 2008-01-03 09:27:23 »
When using it I found if you look through too much text, the program will say it encountered an error and close.

Yes another user (Rosemberg) talked me about this problem. I don't really use Loveless (I know it seems strange -_-) and I've never get this problem. I've examined the code but I've not seen what can do this... But I'll try to fix it.

I'm not positive what exactly causes it, but it seems that editing certain text, not sure what, completely erases the text in the field file "las4_42". This is the scene immediately after you defeat JEVONA Synthesis, so in game when you defeat her this causes a crash. This of course can be currently fixed by simply reinserting the original field file with Highwind, but it's still troublesome and might cause more problems than just that.
Another problem, possibly due to symbol hotkeys/buttons/whatever, is during the scene where the party is detected on the train and has to avoid the security checks. Where it would normally say "Car #1" for example, instead it will have "Car [odd symbol here]".
The editor crashes frequently when doing large amounts of editing due to memory problems. Yet if you close and reopen the program, you can resume editing as much as you like so it can't be an issue with the file itself.

Other than these three things, I cannot think of any other bugs.

As for ideas, is it possible to modify default names in the current version? I attempted to edit "Aeris" to "Aerith" using various techniques but none worked. Perhaps a task for Meteor, but if it's possible to implement into Loveless, all the better.

You right : I've tested by replace all occruencies of "materia" ('cause this word appears a lot of times) by another (in order to change many texts) and, indeed, when you close Loveless and reopen it there is no longer texts in las4_42. I will try to fix this. Thanks for reporting it :)

About "Car #1" hum.... indeed, it's not really a bug but a bad thing made by me. In fact, in english it use #1 to say 'Number 1'. In french '#' is never used... so I've not tought this char could cause a problem... You right and I will try to change this code system (maybe using '\1', '\2', ... ?). Thanks again for this report :).

About the characters' name you wanted to change the name which appears on the top of texts ? You can't because names are typed by the player :). '{AERIS}', '{CLOUD}', etc... are only tags which represent the names which will be selected by the player. So you can't write '{AERITH}' (unknown tag). However you can type 'Aerith'... but the name entered by the player will not be displayed...

Thanks for your bugs report :)

Squall78

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2008-01-03 13:19:29 »
About las4_42 level file :

I've examined the las4_42 file. In fact, the strings offset is out of section 1 . So it's a little "mistake" in the file and there is no texts in this file (this explains why the texts where very weird :p). New version of Loveless will be fixed and no longer detect texts in this file.

Edit :
I've examined the las4_42 file. In fact, the strings offset points on Akao Offsets, while strings have to be before Akao Offsets. So it's a little "mistake" in the file and there is no texts in this file (this explains why the texts where very weird :p). New version of Loveless will be fixed and no longer detect texts in this file.
« Last Edit: 2008-01-03 14:05:29 by Squall78 »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2008-01-03 15:06:27 »
Thats good news.  Thnx for the program by the way, I've had a good time correcting mistakes in the game :-)

Edit:  In the program when you are editing the text in a certain scene, the little blue dialog box will be shadowed if the text is not used in that scene, and will be blue if it is.  Would it be easy for the program to ignore the text that isn't used in particular scenes to prevent overcrowding and repeat texts?
« Last Edit: 2008-01-03 20:11:37 by obesebear »

kruci

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2008-01-03 18:10:56 »
New version of Loveless.

I was searching around "dialog part" of field level. Even maked dialog part extractor...
Some FF7 dialog editors get last dialog as "start from Header to 0xFF char". But, it looks like some dialog dont end with 0xFF char. Usualy not used dialogs. But editors still read until 0xFF char, they read data from AKAO block. It usualy only add some bytes extra.

Aktualy this is not so problem. But problem are some levels. If I changed size of frcyo level, some action(I think breeding..) freezed. Some Blin6X_X not worked (save Aeris scene).

Maybe this is useful, if you are working on new version.

Squall78

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2008-01-03 20:19:23 »
But problem are some levels. If I changed size of frcyo level, some action(I think breeding..) freezed. Some Blin6X_X not worked (save Aeris scene).

You mean some actions freeze if you edit the frcyo file with current version (2.4) of Loveless ?

kruci

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2008-01-04 09:32:19 »
I dont know, I wasnt using Loveless for editing.
Loveless always crash to me after some while(If I press about 50 times some key), or sometimes it destroyed my flevel.lgp.

Ossott

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2008-01-04 19:19:15 »
... edit.. there should be an option to delete your post =/

Gass

« Reply #132 on: 2008-01-12 13:18:15 »
Hi everyone, I've been around this forum for about a week an finally decided to register and post.

Thank you Squall78 for the editor, im downloading right now. I'm gonna try Teioh too.

Thanks CaptainNoobtastic.

I wrote mainly this program to re-write french version of FF7. In fact, french translation is frightful  :x
But others can use it to re-write story for fun :)

Use it as you want :)

Spanish translation is awfull too, I've had long chats with friends laughing at big translation mistakes in the game. Therefore I'd like to give a try correcting the translation. I'll try to start as soon as I finish my exams lol.

Squall78

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2008-01-12 15:03:21 »
Hi there,
About the special characters problem, if you type '#2' il will be replaced by the second special character... so you can't type '#2' (for "Car #2" in the game for example).
So I want to change the escape character. I tought about '!' or '%'... What do you prefer ? I need a character which is 'rare' especially followed by a digit. What is your opinion ?

Gass > Hi ! Yeah FF7 was really bad translated :s.

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2008-01-12 16:48:00 »
Quote from: Squall78
About the special characters problem, if you type '#2' il will be replaced by the second special character... so you can't type '#2' (for "Car #2" in the game for example).
So I want to change the escape character. I tought about '!' or '%'... What do you prefer ? I need a character which is 'rare' especially followed by a digit. What is your opinion ?

Maybe an "*"?
« Last Edit: 2008-01-13 10:58:27 by Henkäys Ikuisuudesta »

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2008-01-24 18:09:01 »
I don't recall seeing the asterisk (*) anywhere, might be the best choice. Percentage signs (%) and exclamation points (!) are definitely used quite often, and may cause unforeseen problems.

Squall78

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2008-01-24 18:11:38 »
Hi,
Yes but special characters (in Loveless) are coded : '%2' for example. In the game (if there are %) I suppose it will be '50 %' or '100%'... So there is no problem. But if you see a good reason to avoid '%' please tell me. I code Loveless but reports and ideas come from you :)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2008-01-24 18:54:44 »
In Loveless when you are editing the text , the little box in the lower right will be shadowed if that text is not used in the scene, but will be blue if it is used.  Would it be easy for Loveless to not display the text that isn't used?

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2008-01-24 19:13:04 »
Shhh!! Don't say that!! I need those unused texts!!! xDD
(Anyway, I don't think it's possible to avoid them... {?}).

I still think an asterisk would be the best choice for coding special characters
(I guess no one would use maths in FFVII dialogs... @_@).

Squall78

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2008-01-24 19:32:57 »
Ikuisuudesta > lol

You right "*" is very rare in FF7 texts (except in Barret's dialogs like «This fucked #$*$^» lol)
But I prefer % cause it's bigger and so more visible on the screen...

obesebear > Your idea is great and Rosemberg already ask me this :). I've put a little icon in the texts list (on the left of each Text xx). If there is at least a window associated to the text the icon will appear. So you can quickly see if a text in the list have a window (without selecting the text and see if the "window button" on the left bottom is enable as you said).

I'm working on Loveless and I hope it will be available next week (the end of the next week :p).

By the way, I also search for a better algorithm for the background generation of levels. I use the Ficedula's one (because it's too difficult to code for me) but it's bugged with some of levels (as you could see I suppose...).

So if someone know how to display correctly background, it will be a great help :)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2008-01-24 20:50:47 »
Hurray unused text, lol.  Anyways, if someone could generate a list of the in-game names of places would you be able to have "gninn" replaced with "Gongaga Inn"?

Squall78

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2008-01-24 20:52:24 »
Hummm good idea too :)
I will implement this !
Thanks !

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #142 on: 2008-01-24 23:25:44 »
Just a thought. In C/etc. type of languages, there are so called escape sequences. You type \" to get the quote symbol inserted instead of opening the text string, you use \' to get the apostrophe as a character, rather than specifying that a single char will follow. And you use \\ to insert a backslash in, to avoid the compiler complaints about unknown escape sequence (\). So even with that unlucky chosen #, to type "Car #1" you'd just put in text "Car ##1" and you'd know, that '#' isn't used as the special character here, just a simple hash.

Squall78

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2008-01-25 06:49:42 »
That's a good remark dziugo. Indeed, I didn't think about this... I will implement this system but with the "%" (because I think there will be less "%2" in a texts than "#2" (to say "number 2")).
Thanks for this idea :)

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2008-02-08 14:13:37 »
Hey! When is going to come the new release? >_<U

I thought it was gonna come soon... ._.U

Squall78

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2008-02-08 14:19:05 »
Hi,
You're right, I told that... But I was very busy with my studies and have a lot of work. I've almost completed the new version, don't worry.
I only hope that one day I will find a better algorithm for background previewer...

I won't tell you it will be released in "X days" because if I can't release it.... but it will be in a few days or weeks.

Thanks for your interest about Loveless :)

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2008-02-08 14:30:19 »
Okay!! ^^

Oh, and for the background previewer algorithm, I know a program
called '7mimic' that works for the PSX version and it does really, really well.

But don't have the source nor know if it would work with the PC version..

Squall78

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2008-02-08 14:32:24 »
Yes I know 7mimic and it's really perfect (no bug, animations are displayed, etc...). If only I could use a such algorithm :' )

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2008-02-08 14:40:22 »
Did you search for the person who made the program..?

I guess the answer will be yes. u.uU

Squall78

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2008-02-08 14:41:56 »
And the answer is ........................... "yes" :D
I've sent him 2 e-mails but no response...