Author Topic: Interested in trying to contribute to Q Gears  (Read 18027 times)

Sebanisu

• View Profile
Interested in trying to contribute to Q Gears
« on: 2014-03-10 01:02:31 »
I have an Associates in Software Application Programming. I was taught command line C++, Visual Basic 6 and some Java. I'm not really experienced. Lately my skills have been used in messing with PHP and Python. And, my job has nothing to do with programming.

I have tried to code a game engine before. It was a clone of ARC. I wrote it with C++ and SDL 1.2. It worked, but it was slow. And, I never finished it. I told my self, I was going to wait for SDL 1.3 or 2.0. The one that was updated to use newer hardware acceleration. I poked at trying to use opengl. But I didn't understand how to take a 2d top down game like ARC and port it to a 3d engine.

Since you guys are short handed, and I am off 3/4 days a week. Maybe I could lend a hand. I don't know how much time it'd take to get up to speed, though.

I guess the first step would be to compile it on my system.

I was wondering what IDE you guys recommend for Windows. I last used Visual Studio Express 2005 or something.

I spent a whole evening reading old posts, and I couldn't sign up at the time. I hope I can help.

I have 3 copies of FF7 (Steam, Original PC, PSX version). I have FF8 (Steam and PSX) and FF9, I had FFX lost it, I have FFX-2 though. Oh yeah I have FFXII as well almost forgot.

I think I'll just focus on compiling it this week.

My System Specs:
Window 7 64bit Home Premium
AMD Phenom X4 2.30 Ghz
6 GBs of ram
nVidia Geforce 465 GTX

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Re: Interested in trying to contribute to Q Gears
« Reply #1 on: 2014-03-10 03:18:49 »
Maybe you should try to come in contact with Akari. :)

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #2 on: 2014-03-10 19:43:45 »
Q-gears comes with a workspace file for use in CodeBlocks. (http://www.codeblocks.org/) .

the Build system has been switching over to Cmake and now builds completely with cmake so if your IDE supports importing from Cmake files your good to go.
« Last Edit: 2014-03-21 14:43:09 by sithlord48 »

Sebanisu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-03-10 22:25:56 »

Code: [Select]
The procedure entry point __gxx_peronality_v0 could not be located in the dynamic link library libstdc++-6.dllman trying to find a place to store an image is a pain.

Flickr and Google have no way to embed images anymore.

First I got all the files cloned to my pc. I set the paths and all. I used cmake. Then I tried Visual Studio bah. Errors and warnings. I saw later you guys were using code blocks and so I swapped to that. Eventually After realizing I needed to build boost and everything. It all compiled in code blocks 0 errors and like 500 warnings. Then I tried to run it. I copied the dlls from the boost folder because it said it couldn't find them. Then Tried again and got the above error in the picture...

I kinda taking a break. for the rest of the day.

Sebanisu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-03-10 22:31:27 »
From what I gather I may need to compile ogre using the same libraries that i'm using to compile Q-Gears. I didn't want to have to go that far. As who knows how many depencencies, I'll need to download, to make that compile :D

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-03-13 05:41:51 »
From what I gather I may need to compile ogre using the same libraries that i'm using to compile Q-Gears. I didn't want to have to go that far. As who knows how many depencencies, I'll need to download, to make that compile :D

You don't need compile OGRE, use OGRE 1.8.1 SDK for MinGW.
For boost you need one of 2012 year version (don't remember exactly... maybe 1_47). It has a lot of compile errors in later versions.

You need OGRE for render and boost for luabind (included in src). That's all.
« Last Edit: 2014-03-13 05:43:48 by Akari »

Sebanisu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-03-13 15:36:42 »
I'll try again with the older boost, thank you for the reply.

Man compiling ogre was a pain too. It took 30 mins to an hour and then popped out an error saying Failed. I kinda gave up and just started playing FF7 after a while :P
« Last Edit: 2014-03-13 15:40:52 by Sebanisu »

Sebanisu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-03-18 15:07:19 »
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Prerequisites#Boost
"It's recommended to get Boost 1.49.0."
First I used 1.51 - Compiled but then got an error when trying to run it.
I tried 1.47 and 1.40 - didn't compile it was saying threading was disabled *shrugs*
So Now i'm trying 1.49.

bootstrap.bat gcc
b2 toolset=gcc install --prefix=c:\boost
then i'll set
BOOST_ROOT=c:\boost

I'm still waiting on boost to install to c:\boost it takes a while... So I thought I should post an update. I didn't do anything on the weekend, because I work. :P

Sebanisu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-03-18 16:30:47 »
I kinda frustrated... maybe i shouldn't be using cmake... I donno.

libQGearsMain.a(QGearsApplication.cpp.obj)QGearsApplication.cpp:(.text.startup+0x1a)||undefined reference to `boost::system::generic_category()'|
i donno why, cmake finds everything then makes a code::blocks project file. I open that and press compile. I guess it's not linking to boost::system.

I'm gonna try to get the project file that comes with the source that doesn't use cmake to work. So far it can't find any of the headers. I'll throw a bunch of directories in the search locations.

zerotacg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2014-03-19 06:34:44 »
i did use ogre 1.8 and boost 1.54 build from source
and for building boost I did go
> bootstrap.bat mingw
> b2 --layout=tagged toolset=gcc --build-type=complete --with-system  --with-atomic --with-chrono --with-date_time --with-filesystem --with-test --with-program_options --with-wave --with-thread

just cause not all libs did build for me but theese are enought

if you wan't to take precompiled ogre, u have to match the right boost version etc if u take the vc?? version, as most are for windows you might want to stick with vc check the tutorial from ogre [1] if u want to run visual c++ take the vc++ sdk of ogre [2] and boost [3] or similar

I have an unfinished how to on the dependencies I'll try and finish it this week here's [4] a preview

[1] http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Installing+the+Ogre+SDK
[2] https://sourceforge.net/projects/ogre/files/ogre/1.8/1.8.1/OgreSDK_vc10_v1-8-1.exe/download
[3] http://boost.teeks99.com/bin/boost_1_49_0-vc32-bin.exe
[4] http://pastebin.com/hAhFScRP

« Last Edit: 2014-03-19 06:48:58 by zerotacg »

Sebanisu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2014-03-19 22:32:59 »
One thing I noticed is you can't install DirectX SDK. If you have some C++ redistribute that are newer installed, or I think newer windows SDKs can cause this too.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/2011/12/09/known-issue-directx-sdk-june-2010-setup-and-the-s1023-error.aspx
I think I had to uninstall all of these before I could get DirectX SDK to install.

I was thinking you had HG for most of the files I noticed you could pull boost with SVN if you wanted to:
svn co https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/tags/release/Boost_1_54_0/ F:/dependencies/boost_1_54_0
Though it may be slower than grabbing the zip :P (it is a lot of files).

I'm following your instructions. Thank you :D

zerotacg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2014-03-20 06:28:20 »
well the interesting part is still missing xD
but I think it should be mostly just cmake configure/ generate
you just have to set some cmake variables manually, like all the directx libs, at least I had to
sadly ogre has a dependency to directx on windows even if you won't build the dx driver

Sebanisu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2014-03-20 14:35:44 »
My cmake seemed to find directx okay..

Though ogredeps seems to not compile some things like zlib or zziplib, when I use codeblocks to compile it...

Then later when i tried to compile ogre it's like *can't find zlib.h* so I pointed right at it (with OGRE_DEPENDENCIES_DIR). :P
made a batch file so i could change some stuff up quickly with out having to do everything manually :P
2c_Build_Ogre.bat
@echo off
REM http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1459482/how-to-use-cmake-for-non-interactive-build-on-windows
set "dependencies=%cd%"
set source_dir = %dependencies%\boost_1_54_0
set "BOOST_ROOT=%dependencies%"
set "BOOST_INCLUDEDIR=%source_dir%"
set "BOOST_LIBRARYDIR=%source_dir%\stage\lib"
set "dep_source_dir=%dependencies%\ogredeps"
cd /D %dependencies%
set "generator=CodeBlocks - MinGW Makefiles"
set "source_dir=%dependencies%\ogre"
set "build_dir=%source_dir%\build"
set "path=%dependencies%\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin;%path%;%dependencies%\cmake-2.8.11.2-win32-x86\bin"
RMDIR /S /Q "%build_dir%"
echo running cmake:
cmake.exe -G"%generator%" -DOGRE_DEPENDENCIES_DIR:PATH=%dep_source_dir%;%dep_source_dir%\build;%dep_source_dir%\src\zlib -H"%source_dir%" -B"%build_dir%"
set "codeblocks="%dependencies%\CodeBlocks\codeblocks.exe""
echo Press CTRL-C To stop or...
pause
%codeblocks% %build_dir%\OGRE.cbp
rem --rebuild > ogre.log

current errors I'm getting I think are from it wanting zziplib.

||=== Build: all in OGRE (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler) ===|
CMakeFiles\OgreMain.dir\objects.a(OgreDeflate.cpp.obj)||In function `ZN4Ogre13DeflateStream4seekEj':|
L:\dependencies\ogre\build\OgreMain\..\..\OgreMain\src\OgreDeflate.cpp|367|undefined reference to `inflateReset'|
CMakeFiles\OgreMain.dir\objects.a(OgreDeflate.cpp.obj)||In function `ZN4Ogre13DeflateStream4readEPvj':|
L:\dependencies\ogre\build\OgreMain\..\..\OgreMain\src\OgreDeflate.cpp|203|undefined reference to `inflate'|
CMakeFiles\OgreMain.dir\objects.a(OgreDeflate.cpp.obj)||In function `ZN4Ogre13DeflateStream7destroyEv':|
L:\dependencies\ogre\build\OgreMain\..\..\OgreMain\src\OgreDeflate.cpp|152|undefined reference to `inflateEnd'|
CMakeFiles\OgreMain.dir\objects.a(OgreDeflate.cpp.obj)||In function `ZN4Ogre13DeflateStream13compressFinalEv':|
L:\dependencies\ogre\build\OgreMain\..\..\OgreMain\src\OgreDeflate.cpp|261|undefined reference to `deflateInit_'|
L:\dependencies\ogre\build\OgreMain\..\..\OgreMain\src\OgreDeflate.cpp|292|undefined reference to `deflate'|
L:\dependencies\ogre\build\OgreMain\..\..\OgreMain\src\OgreDeflate.cpp|303|undefined reference to `deflateEnd'|
L:\dependencies\ogre\build\OgreMain\..\..\OgreMain\src\OgreDeflate.cpp|278|undefined reference to `deflateEnd'|
CMakeFiles\OgreMain.dir\objects.a(OgreDeflate.cpp.obj)||In function `ZN4Ogre13DeflateStream4initEv':|
L:\dependencies\ogre\build\OgreMain\..\..\OgreMain\src\OgreDeflate.cpp|85|undefined reference to `inflateInit_'|
L:\dependencies\ogre\build\OgreMain\..\..\OgreMain\src\OgreDeflate.cpp|100|undefined reference to `inflate'|
L:\dependencies\ogre\build\OgreMain\..\..\OgreMain\src\OgreDeflate.cpp|106|undefined reference to `inflateReset'|
||=== Build failed: 10 error(s), 0 warning(s) (8 minute(s), 19 second(s)) ===|
« Last Edit: 2014-03-20 14:40:19 by Sebanisu »

Sebanisu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2014-03-20 17:05:45 »
@echo off
REM http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1459482/how-to-use-cmake-for-non-interactive-build-on-windows
set "dependencies=%cd%"
set source_dir = %dependencies%\boost_1_54_0
set "BOOST_ROOT=%dependencies%"
set "BOOST_INCLUDEDIR=%source_dir%"
set "BOOST_LIBRARYDIR=%source_dir%\stage\lib"
set "dep_source_dir=%dependencies%\ogredeps"
cd /D %dependencies%
rem set "generator=CodeBlocks - MinGW Makefiles"
set "generator=MinGW Makefiles"
set "source_dir=%dependencies%\ogre"
set "build_dir=%source_dir%\build"
set "path=%dependencies%\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin;%path%;%dependencies%\cmake-2.8.11.2-win32-x86\bin"
echo 8a. configure ogre
RMDIR /S /Q "%build_dir%"
cmake.exe -G"%generator%" -DOGRE_DEPENDENCIES_DIR:PATH=%dep_source_dir%;%dep_source_dir%\build;%dependencies%\zlib;%dep_source_dir%\src\Cg;%dep_source_dir%\src\FreeImage\Source;%dep_source_dir%\build\src\FreeImage;%dep_source_dir%\src\zziplib;%dep_source_dir%\build\src\zziplib -H"%source_dir%" -B"%build_dir%"
echo Press CTRL-C To stop or...
pause
echo 8b. build ogre
cd /D %build_dir%
rem -j [N], --jobs[=N] in an attempt to speed it up
mingw32-make -j > %dependencies%\ogre.log
cd /D %dependencies%
%dep_source_dir%\src\zziplib
rem set "codeblocks="%dependencies%\CodeBlocks\codeblocks.exe""

rem %codeblocks% %build_dir%\OGRE.cbp
rem --rebuild > ogre.log
I changed some stuff around in my batch files. Rebuilt orderdeps with  generator=MinGW Makefiles. (really no need to use the code::blocks ide at this point.)
Added some more search paths to OGRE_DEPENDENCIES_DIR
Now i'm letting it run.

It takes a while for it to build. Last night, it ran for a few hours, while I slept
#edit to update my batch file...
« Last Edit: 2014-03-20 21:08:20 by Sebanisu »

Sebanisu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2014-03-20 21:06:43 »
Well ogre compiled, that's good.
Though orgredeps didn't spit out dll's when they compiled.

so the first thing one of the sample's is looking of is freetype6.dll. All ogredeps built was a libfreetype.a.

So I'm wondering how best to handle this. I guess i could just find the dlls and download them lol. Though I have the source, I wonder what, I need to do to it to make it spit out a dll.

I think i skipped the important make install part of the building process...
if I did that it'd put all the important header files and libs in the same places. And I'm getting that runtime error from earlier when running sample browser.

The procedure entry point __gxx_peronality_v0 could not be located in the dynamic link library libstdc++-6.dll

I think I'll take a break for the rest of the week and maybe try again monday. I'm thinking of working overtime to make some extra cash. I might end up passing out when I get home.
« Last Edit: 2014-03-20 21:50:46 by Sebanisu »

zerotacg

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2014-03-21 23:04:32 »
ogredeps only give u ois and cg
the rest should be source cod / satic linked
if u build ogre u can disable features u don't need or that don't work and don't forget to do make install, for ogre it will generate an sdk folder in the build folder that one is the one u want
I currently hang on freetype in configuration dunno what I did to fix that

zerotacg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2014-03-21 23:08:17 »
ah found the freetype libs, they should be enought for static linking
reminds me, dont forget to do release and debug build
u have to set CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE to Release, do configure ... generate .. make all install
and then the same for Debug

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #17 on: 2014-03-22 13:38:53 »
Wait a min are my linking errors on li ux caused by having to new a boost installed ? Ill have to try with 1.49 also any idea on when we can get a clean section of the repo that is pullable daily for builds like a trunk folder