Author Topic: First high resolution in-game screenshots of Final Fantasy X & X-2 HD  (Read 23850 times)

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
I never bought the first, as I never owned any console beyond PS1, so buying this HD version would be my first. Still, I've watched a playthrough on YT and will probably do the same for this HD version, since I won't buy a PS3 just to play it.

cloud1414

• Anthony Pierce
    • View Profile
    • The Legend Of Twilight
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/14641 a better way of looking at how much of a difference the HD remaster will look like compared to the ps2 version. and this picture isnt stretched like the one posted before.

ajthedj747

• Looking Forward to 2017
    • View Profile
I never bought the first, as I never owned any console beyond PS1, so buying this HD version would be my first. Still, I've watched a playthrough on YT and will probably do the same for this HD version, since I won't buy a PS3 just to play it.
If one has an expensive computer, one could purchase an external Blu-Ray player and install a Playstation 3 emulator. I shall provide the web page link to the emulator.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
There is no PS3 emulator that actually emulates the PS3. A few claim to, but they do not work at all.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Not impressive, really. FFX has two models of each character one normal and one high res. It looks like that they replace the normal one with the high res and put some better textures on them (no normal mapping?). They didn't even do a true shadow calculation. I really believe that this will be only an texture update.
And for this I wouldn't pay again. That means there is on exception: if they would make a true Blitzball minigame in a way like FIFA, Ice Hockey, Basketball or what ever, not that crap what they has designed (Blitz; German; means bolt, flash or lightning).

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
There is no PS3 emulator. Congratulations on your free virus.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Agreed completely with Kalda.  On PS3... won't be one for a very long time.  The common misconception among people is to think that because we have emulators for most consoles, including the Wii, that it must be equally as simple to fire one out for PS3.  Nope.  Miles better hardware and to emulate it would take a much better computer.  A PS3 emu capable of playing commercial games at full speed isn't going to happen for a long time.... a long time.  I am not sure what minimum specs you would be looking at in theory.  Anyone know?
« Last Edit: 2013-03-31 00:02:46 by DLPB »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
The best games are prior PS3 and 360 anyways. I wouldn't even want to emulate anything for them. I just watch a playthrough on YT and smile at how much money I've saved from never buying games in the "next gen" era  :)

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
If one has an expensive computer, one could purchase an external Blu-Ray player and install a Playstation 3 emulator. I shall provide the web page link to the emulator.

even if there were emulators
2 cores at 3,2ghz each won't run FFX-2 Int. at full fps most of the time
you'd need such absurd CPU and GPU power for a PS3 emulator that we won't see one for another DECADE. And after that decade, welcome to 5 fps get-to-the-menu emulators for another half a decade.

and there are great games on PS3 and 360. Dragons Dogma, Disgaea, Dark and Demon Souls ( granted, on PC now, too ) and obviously Monster Hunter
saying that there aren't any great games is about as accurate as drilling in your nose, pulling out a bogger and proclaiming you've found a diamond.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
Matter of opinion Tenko. Call me an old fashion....booger digger? (your analogy was weird lol) but I find more enjoying games on PS1/N64 and prior consoles. PC games are great as well, so if the game is cross platform, you shouldn't beat me up over my opinion about the next gen era. I am just glad I don't spend money on games like FFXIII  :P

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
You would need dual-SLI TITAN's and a processor far superior to an i7 or A8. On a side note, I play my Snes all the time, but Dark Souls is my favorite game of all time because of the immense underlying themes and great story. Look here.
« Last Edit: 2013-03-31 04:18:31 by [CleverNameHere] »

Cazador

• View Profile
A good guide for Emulation is three times the system specs but you have to take system hardware complexity into consideration too. You're going to need 8 cores to have a fully compatible 'translation' of the cycles from the Cell Processor. It's going to be a really rough project for whoever takes it on.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Three times? Hardly. Without significant optimization far beyond most emulators, the bare minimum tends to be closer to be closer to 10x (and emulation is one of the few tasks we can actually compare by raw clockspeed even for vastly different architectures). If you aren't using speedhacks all over the place, it's even higher. On top of that, emulation can't be done very effectively in parallel; multiple cores is precious little help. For something like the PS3, we aren't likely to even have the power to emulate the PPE at fullspeed until computers achieve ~30GHz. Add six SPEs, each running at 3.2GHz as well (this is something that CAN be helped by parallel since the SPEs run separately, although at an additional speed cost for sync) and this beast of a machine will probably not be emulated for AT LEAST a decade, especially since PC clock speeds aren't going up at nearly the same rate as they did before.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
The Emotion Engine used in the PS3 is a technological marvel compared to modern PC's.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
The emotion engine was PS2, not PS3. The PS3 uses a Cell architecture.

It's not so much that the PS3 is insanely powerful or advanced, just complicated and designed to allow better multitasking than a typical x86_64 processor can manage. In terms of raw power and potential, it's a good deal below modern PCs. It's really more (needlessly) complex than marvelous.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
Ah, I mix them up all the time.

anaho

• King Of Slowdown
    • View Profile
I find it very disappointing that they don´t even use the hi-poly chars all the time.
Yeah the lo-poly meshes are somewhat tweaked and the texture res got upped but that´s about it , really.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
All controllable characters have been completely redone as well as most of the textures throughout the game. It's not simply a case of "upping the textures".

This is FFX running in HD in PCSX2:

Here's the same moment from the released screenshots of the remake:

Look at the detail on Lulu's fur and hair (the hair is less noticeable due to the small size of these images). More than that, look at the grass behind the stairs in the background.

In addition to this, they've removed the borders to allow true widescreen (not stretched as is the case with PCSX2). It's also going to be at normal speed in PAL territories for the first time (and non-letterboxed), and includes both games. It also appears they're either adding data to the FMV's or they originally made them in widescreen, because the trailer shows non-stretched clips of the opening FMV.

Calling $39.99 a ridiculous price for two remastered games is honestly stupid, it's cheap as hell. That's about £25 for what is going to be an excellent remaster of one of the best games on the PS2. I'd pay that for X alone, I just happen to be getting X-2 in the bargain. Oh also, trophies.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
That looks far better than anticipated. I may buy a PS3 for this and Heavy Rain. (and maybe a few other titles)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile

Calling $39.99 a ridiculous price for two remastered games is honestly stupid, it's cheap as hell. That's about £25 for what is going to be an excellent remaster of one of the best games on the PS2. I'd pay that for X alone, I just happen to be getting X-2 in the bargain. Oh also, trophies.

Completely disagree.  We are talking about a game that is still very playable and decent as it is, and had Sony not been an ass with their backward compatibility for all consoles, this update would be completely redundant.  I don't think paying 20-40 dollars for updates to graphics is worthwhile (not this kind of update anyway).  Call me crazy but I believe what made FFX great was the actual game-play, not whether you can see fur on Lulu's coat.  This, to me, is just another sad symptom of SquareEnix and its modus operandi.. namely, to make money from nothing.  Nothing original coming out of that company in terms of Final Fantasy.   Just relying on fanbase to make profits. 

Evidentally, it is working.

The only acceptable time to pay this money for this "remake" (which it isn't) is if you are playing it for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwDDswGsJ60

Edit: And trophies are a complete joke, and barrel scraping.
« Last Edit: 2013-04-23 22:53:06 by DLPB »

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
Also, Prince Lex you must be running epsxe at the bare minimum because mine looks much better than that. (although the ps3 one still looks far better)

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
Things like this just don't excite me anymore. Not enough to pay that kind of money at least. I could deal with the $9.99 tag for FFVII because it was playable on PC, which is pretty much all I play now, but that's as far as I go. No way I would pay for those game prices + PS3. It's easier to watch a playthrough on YT and witness the exact same gameplay and storyline all prettied up. I am not saying others are wrong for buying into it though. To each, their own  :)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Yeah, I do think that $39.99 is a bit much. I could see myself spending $15 USD a piece, if they release a PC version on Steam. PS3 isn't nearly as attractive to me, the controller isn't as good as my PC gamepad, and the price is a bit much even for what it is. I don't have a problem with its existence, but I won't be buying it unless either they port it, or cut its price.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
Completely disagree.  We are talking about a game that is still very playable and decent as it is, and had Sony not been an ass with their backward compatibility for all consoles, this update would be completely redundant.  I don't think paying 20-40 dollars for updates to graphics is worthwhile (not this kind of update anyway).  Call me crazy but I believe what made FFX great was the actual game-play, not whether you can see fur on Lulu's coat.  This, to me, is just another sad symptom of SquareEnix and its modus operandi.. namely, to make money from nothing.  Nothing original coming out of that company in terms of Final Fantasy.   Just relying on fanbase to make profits. 

Evidentally, it is working.

The only acceptable time to pay this money for this "remake" (which it isn't) is if you are playing it for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwDDswGsJ60

Edit: And trophies are a complete joke, and barrel scraping.

Listen, I am in no way a fan of the way Square Enix have been operating pretty much ever since they became Square-Enix, but I'm not going to jump on the hate bandwagon because they're releasing a HD remaster. And they're not trying to market it as a "remake", they've very clearly indicated that it's a remaster in every instance. The majority of companies with blockbuster PS2 titles have re-released their games in HD to massive success, so this is actually the best business decision they've made in years. This release means it's easily accessible to both new gamers and the people interested in the nostalgia trip through one of their favourite games, only it's enhanced with new features.

And it's the same price as other re-released HD remasters, so I'm not faulting them for that either. I'm actually surprised it's a normal price, considering their iOS ports are ridiculously overpriced. You might also want to elaborate on what's wrong with a company wanting to make a profit? To be honest, they've made some shitty business decisions in the past 10 years, the biggest of which was alienating their core fanbase by fucking up newer titles. This is a very sound one.

Some people are into the trophy collecting thing. It's not like SE are using it as a selling point, it's just an additional feature. How exactly is it "barrel scraping"? It's purely a feature that all new PS3 titles have, so of course they're going to add it in. Jesus.

Also, Prince Lex you must be running epsxe at the bare minimum because mine looks much better than that. (although the ps3 one still looks far better)

Firstly, if I was going to emulate Final Fantasy X on the PC, I'd use PCSX2 - which, unlike ePSXe - is actually a PS2 emulator. Secondly, the first screenshot is a shot of the game running full spec in PCSX2 at 1440x1080 resolution. That's what the game currently looks like emulated in HD. You must have manually updated all the textures in that scene by yourself if it somehow looks better than that. *shrugs*
« Last Edit: 2013-04-24 03:43:47 by Prince Lex »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
...which is pretty much all I play now...

What else would you think of with your setup and your 680?  :evil: