Author Topic: [FF7] Tool to view field animations/alpha lighting?  (Read 6169 times)

Roxas

• View Profile
    • ReBoot Revival
So there are many tools, modern (Makou Reactor) and outdated (Palmer) that let one view and also edit the field backgrounds. Some like 7mimic let you adjust the alpha channel. Both Makou Reactor and 7mimic will allow you to view the individual states of the background animations.

However there has yet to be a way to view the animations and alpha lighting actively cycle outside of the game itself.

Is there a possibility of it ever being done?

paul

• View Profile
Re: [FF7] Tool to view field animations/alpha lighting?
« Reply #1 on: 2016-12-24 22:51:38 »
But Makou Reactor is out side of the game itself, so not sure what you mean by that?

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-12-24 23:02:13 »
Palmer isn't outdated, it has an entirely different purpose. Palmer is made for creating mod files of up-scaled images for Aali's driver.

Since background animations are handled by the script of the flevel.lgp, I fear it's not so easy doable.

Roxas

• View Profile
    • ReBoot Revival
« Reply #3 on: 2016-12-24 23:15:51 »
But Makou Reactor is out side of the game itself, so not sure what you mean by that?

Yes, but doesn't allow viewing of animations and alpha lighting cycles.

Palmer isn't outdated, it has an entirely different purpose. Palmer is made for creating mod files of up-scaled images for Aali's driver.

Since background animations are handled by the script of the flevel.lgp, I fear it's not so easy doable.

True, I should have reworded that. I meant that MR is still receiving updates as of late 2016, whereas Palmer hasn't had an update since 2014.

I would hope that since MR shows the script for animations and I believe lighting, a "player" would be doable at some point. I would try myself if I had more programing knowledge.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-12-25 04:52:25 »
MR does whatever the field script tells it (and it does everything).  Any other additional lighting effects are not based on script, so it will never support them. Any lighting effects from field have to be viewed in game.

Roxas

• View Profile
    • ReBoot Revival
« Reply #5 on: 2016-12-25 05:14:29 »
Any lighting effects from field have to be viewed in game.

Hmmm, that is rather unfortunate. I had some hope that with all the years of picking the game apart, there'd be a way to emulate the lighting effects. I've always wanted to view the backgrounds with full animations and lighting at their full native resolutions (be it 320x320, 512x512, etc).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2016-12-25 05:45:47 »
Those field lighting effects could probably be emulated, the problem is mystere would have to spend a ton of time to do it probably.  Better to just open game.

Lazy Bastard

• I may be lazy, but I can...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz...
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #7 on: 2016-12-25 17:03:49 »
Roxas: is there a specific reason you'd like to see this? If you just want to take a video of it or something, you could probably run the game in a PSX emulator, then use GameShark codes or similar to hide all models.

Roxas

• View Profile
    • ReBoot Revival
« Reply #8 on: 2016-12-26 03:53:22 »
Those field lighting effects could probably be emulated, the problem is mystere would have to spend a ton of time to do it probably.  Better to just open game.

I'm sure he could do it, and heck if I had enough $$$ I'd make it worth his time.

Roxas: is there a specific reason you'd like to see this? If you just want to take a video of it or something, you could probably run the game in a PSX emulator, then use GameShark codes or similar to hide all models.

Not really other than something I've wanted to do/see for years (I suppose around 20yrs). The only problem with hiding the models is that the emulator would still display the background pixelated.

Roxas

• View Profile
    • ReBoot Revival
« Reply #9 on: 2016-12-30 02:21:46 »
Well I've managed to get the resolution perfect without any degradation of the field artwork, and found a gameshark code to hide the 3D models (though not all of them) .... the only issue left is that in-game, I can only see a small portion of the field at a time. So with fields that have multiple lighting effects (or those that spread across the field like sunlight, etc), if I wanted to view them all at once, it's not possible. Creating a composite animated gif is also a bit difficult, as getting both (or more) to sync is proving to be a long process.
« Last Edit: 2016-12-30 06:48:42 by Roxas »