Author Topic: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)  (Read 704392 times)

secondadvent

• View Profile
Wall Market, FFVII KERNEL.BIN editor
« Reply #550 on: 2009-07-23 17:12:51 »
ok, the only thing i'd really like to see in it is the updated AI code, but you are going to be adding that anyway, so that woks out good :P. i rarely do any name changing of stuff anyway, but may eventually when i get back onto my ffvii mod (which is still going to be a while). something i'd like to do with the party is make an AI controlled party which would be pretty funny to watch, though it'd severely limit what could be used, and would make materia almost useless (the effects would still carry over, but the ability to use the materia wouldn't), and i do not think limits would be able to be implemented easily if at all, but i'd still like to do it to see how far they'd actually make it in the game before getting stuck :P.

now, off of WM and onto your ffxii experience... auto leveling really takes a lot out of the game (i mean playing normally for me, doing everything there is, i usually end up at ~70 (with everybody) by the end, and that is enough to kill every mark pretty easily), especially if you already have the zodiac spear (i can get it around level 20, or whatever level i kill belias at since it opens up the path over to the deadlands if you get that far, but there is a little issue with a certain bomb that will be in your way, but nothing i can't take out XD), because you'd be dealing many thousands of damage a hit, compared to other weapons at that time being a couple hundred to a thousand most, and it is a pretty decent speed weapon to boot :/. gil has never been a problem for me, but i tend to be a person that does everything possible the earliest it is available (unless it will make me level way over what i should be (as in more than i already overlevel :/), which is one of the reasons why i have to cut back on missions on crisis core :P), you can chain a good many enemies at the start of the game for cash (such as wolves, which are hella easy to chain), and just sell their loot, and by the time you are done you'd have a good bit of gil for the experience you gained, as compared to using the dustia trick which gives you only a little more gil than exp on average. i mean that wouldn't really work for you now, considering how far you are, but it can give a good bit of gil (even enough for monographs) if you were to spend an hour or two just on wolf chains, making you have the money to easily buy all of the goodies at nalbina >:D.

the game is already easy enough (once you know it) that leveling up a lot takes away from the difficulty even more, i even went to a no license board, low level game (low level as in the minimum levels possible), and i am halfway done with it (and have five espers already :P). if you do want to level a good bit, the negalmuur leveling trick should only be used for so many levels, because there are alternatives to it later on, such as the deadlands skeletons in the fog mutters room, if you were to equip an embroidered tippet, you could make a million or more exp in an hour, and the abysteels in henne later can give even more :P. your current levels are plenty for most of the game, even enough to beat it pretty easily, so i'd at least cut back for a while before racking them up again. i'll have to start my save back up (or start a perfect game save, which will only take 500+ hours :/) and go farther than i am, because my gamefaqs sig hasn't been updated in a while... it is lonely :P (hafta work on my no sphere grid, no summon, no customize, no overdirve, no escape, no [no escape], no blitzball save of ffx as well, i already caught all of the enemies in the calm lands (10 of each >:D), and have half of the CotSF done as well, only a little left to do :P). if you have any q's about ffxii, i could probably help, because i have beaten it just a few times :/.

seifertemp

« Reply #551 on: 2009-07-23 17:39:50 »
1.  I was already getting around the issue by simply creating a new string like Firey and then deleting the Y
It works that way. 

2.  Still can't get it to update (even with the trick above) "attacks with"  instead of "attack with"  in the PC section under command tab.  It DOES work on PSX section.

3.  Exception on initial data, not sure if you saw this when I posted before :)

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
   at WallMarket.Form1.DrawStatIndic()
   at WallMarket.Form1.Draw_Curves(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at WallMarket.Form1.Radio_CheckedChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.RadioButton.OnCheckedChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.RadioButton.set_Checked(Boolean value)
   at WallMarket.Form1.TabControl1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TabControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
WallMarket
    Assembly Version: 1.2.1.0
    Win32 Version: 1.2.1.0
    CodeBase: file:///J:/DLPB/Welcome/Game%20Related/Games/Roms/PC_games/Final%20Fantasy%20VII%20-%20PC/Mods/WallMarket121/WallMarket.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks
    Assembly Version: 9.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.0.30214.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

4.  Any idea where the data is kept for the initial character naming?  It will always start with Aeris and Cait Sith default otherwise.  Rather than Aerith and Cait

5.  I am looking into 0002h, I will have a good go at working it out.

secondadvent

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: 2009-07-23 19:46:04 »
hey seifer, all you need from the debugging output is this:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TabControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

the rest is not needed for him to see what is wrong (i.e. the meat and potatoes of the output is this little bit). it just makes your post bigger than it needs to be :P.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #553 on: 2009-07-23 19:52:12 »
1.  I was already getting around the issue by simply creating a new string like Firey and then deleting the Y
It works that way. 

Yes, but you shouldn't have to do this. That's lame. :(

2.  Still can't get it to update (even with the trick above) "attacks with"  instead of "attack with"  in the PC section under command tab.  It DOES work on PSX section.

I honestly can't get this to happen, it works fine for me. Are you sure you're creating the kernel2.bin after making these changes?

3.  Exception on initial data, not sure if you saw this when I posted before :)

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

<blah, blah, blah>

Yes I did notice this and I don't know why this would be happening. Again, I can't reproduce this error. It sounds like something's not installed right on your end.

4.  Any idea where the data is kept for the initial character naming?  It will always start with Aeris and Cait Sith default otherwise.  Rather than Aerith and Cait

It's probably in the executable...Looks like its at 0x5206B8 in the unmodded 1.02 executable. Looks like everyone's is there. The KERNEL.BIN entries may be ignored. I didn't know that. ;)

5.  I am looking into 0002h, I will have a good go at working it out.

Keep at it. I hate that label. :(

@secondadvent Re: FFXII:
It really was an up-to-the-last-minute decision to do the auto-leveling. No, I'm not going to do it to get any higher than I am now. I've been barely scraping by with most of the monsters I've encountered just getting between save crystals. Yes, I way over-leveled in CC too and got the Divine Slayer and the Heike Soul at the same time which made the final boss of the entire game look like a stuffed animal. I don't really want that to happen to FFXII since this is my first time, but I don't see that much difference. They only gained about 1000HP and are doing about 250 more damage than before. I'm really doing it more for the gil and the LP (mostly the gil). I didn't do too well through the Draklor Lab and got killed by the gang right before the boss and then the boss once. I'm lucky those little rooks had fewer MMP than the main boss so I could target them first. I still almost lost. :( I don't have the gil to buy the equipment I need or the LP to equip it even if I got it.
If I had ignored Fran and Balthier once I realized they were worthless (around level 10 or so) my active party's average would probably be in the upper 30s rather than right at 30 where they were before I started. I probably wouldn't have so many problems either. Come to think of it, I also leave the battle speed on highest. I don't think this is really a problem unless I want to run away.

secondadvent

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: 2009-07-23 20:48:42 »
off topic post :P

setting the speed to the highest is not always a good thing to do, the time between attacks will be the same, and due to the limits to the amount of certain spells being used (like only one casting of holy for example even if three are trying to use it),  if you are charging a spell or something, the enemy can get many regular attacks in before you get the spell off (because the animation also takes a lot of time on top of the wait between spells), so a fast enemy can get a good deal in for a long animation spell on highest speed, but on lowest speed it makes them only able to get one or two in the same amount of time. now, some marks/bosses can set their CT to 0, so they can instantly attack after attacking without needing to charge the attack, and setting the speed to the slowest there actually allows them to attack MORE, in these cases the highest setting makes you get more in than you would on the other speed settings, and the enemy will get the same, so why not get an advantage?

now, if you are in bad need of LP, go buy a few golden amulets (they are 4500 apiece, but double the lp you gain) from mt bur omisace (easy to get to the shop and back, it is near the gate crystal :P), and give them to whoever (or all if you want/can) for pretty fast LP. now if you just want to quickly gain some LP, just go murder some wolves or whatever for a bit, easy to kill and will net you 2LP per kill due to the amulets, or whatever enemies you can quickly kill (Wu/Zaghnal enemies in ozmone are easy enough and give decent items to sell), and if you need gil, i'd play around in either the zertinan caverns, or the sochen cave palace, since the drops from the enemies (especially the undead in zert, and pretty mcuh everything in sochen) are all fairly good for money, and they are level ~30-40, so they will also give some good exp.

hopefully you can gain some ground and load up on gil/LP, i always have way more than enough LP for everything (again, i am a compulsive killer/loot nabber :P), and end up with multi-million gil by the end of the game (and kinda lose the need for more gil by or even before draklor... i even had enough money the last normal game to buy two of the monographs before heading into the garamsythe to meet bal and fran, and was still only level ~8-9 and had the best equips for everybody on hand :P). once you know the game more, gil will be much easier to come by, if you learn the game the first playthrough and ever play again, you will see what i mean.

if you need any help with ffxii at any point, i should definitely be able to help, i may not know the most about ffxii, but i have beaten it a good many times, so i think i may have a little bit of knowledge about it XD.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-23 20:52:49 by secondadvent »

seifertemp

« Reply #555 on: 2009-07-23 21:27:13 »
I honestly can't get this to happen, it works fine for me. Are you sure you're creating the kernel2.bin after making these changes?

It doesn't actually let me edit it....at all.  It won't change the onscreen data.  I am guessing when you have found the issue with this "case change" problem, this one will be changed with it.  I believe they are a symptom of the same issue.

Yes I did notice this and I don't know why this would be happening. Again, I can't reproduce this error. It sounds like something's not installed right on your end.

Installed VisualBasicPowerPacks3Setup.exe and have zlib1.dll in the program folder.,.. and this is second install, I am now using 32 bit XP because vista and I danced our last little dance (to quote Mollari).  The problem remains.   I can click continue and it seems to be ok anyway.  Good old Try Except Finally statements ;)  Atleast that is in delphi.

--------

I hope someone makes a tool so I can edit those names one time....I wish I was up to that kind of level.  Any case good luck dude.

*offtopic. FFXII sucks.

« Last Edit: 2009-07-23 21:29:02 by seifertemp »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #556 on: 2009-07-23 23:02:48 »
Installed VisualBasicPowerPacks3Setup.exe and have zlib1.dll in the program folder.,.. and this is second install, I am now using 32 bit XP because vista and I danced our last little dance (to quote Mollari).  The problem remains.   I can click continue and it seems to be ok anyway.  Good old Try Except Finally statements ;)  Atleast that is in delphi.

Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0

This actually makes me think you have an older version of the .NET libraries installed. Have you installed the ones from the first post?

*offtopic. FFXII sucks.

While I disagree, I understand why people say this. I think it's better than X (although they all are), but not as good as V or VI.

seifertemp

« Reply #557 on: 2009-07-23 23:43:52 »
You were right.  Was the 3.5 pack I hadnt installed and it must have had some issue when I used vista 64

All is well.

ps, X is my second fave ff.  Music, gameplay, story are amazing imho :P
« Last Edit: 2009-07-27 16:14:42 by seifertemp »

seifertemp

« Reply #558 on: 2009-07-27 16:05:07 »
Wallmarket may have aproblem.

Kernal2.bin now crashes my game...

See your pm's I have uploaded the files :)  The last thing I have done is edit the item names and descriptions...that is where the damage has been done, whatever has happened.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-27 16:13:35 by seifertemp »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #559 on: 2009-07-27 16:34:52 »
I looked at your kernel2 and it seems like you're having the same problem we had a few pages back. Your names are too long. I don't know the actual limit, but I think the item names are probably 20 and the descriptions are no more than 60.
One of your armors: "Improved Shin-Ra Protection" is 27 characters plus terminator. While it makes little difference in the file, the game still needs to store the terminator. In fact, the game doesn't have a name that's longer than 16 ("Fourth Bracelet/n") so that might be the limit for names.

Trim your name lengths and try again. Hope that helps.

seifertemp

« Reply #560 on: 2009-07-27 16:43:52 »
There is no way to modify this behaviour and stop the crash?  The problem is that there isn't really any way to trim everything down without sacrificing an accurate translation.

Still, this is probably the issue.  I will trim them down for testing purposes.

And the weapons armours and accessories worked fine before.  This happened since modifying the items

:?

seifertemp

« Reply #561 on: 2009-07-27 17:05:49 »
Ive located the problem.  I am just rechecking.  It seems the discription areas of

Dios combat diary, autograph or gambler are to blame.

I narrowed it down....and when I edit those 3, the game loads regardless of how long the other names are anywhere else.

seifertemp

« Reply #562 on: 2009-07-27 17:09:26 »
Specifically Gambler was to blame.  

The text entered in this box was:

Life of a gambler

and description

Second part of Dio's diary: The Gold Saucer years

< Why would altering this one lone item sort out the problem??

< the same effect happens if I alter the description of "autograph"

None of these items have descriptions near 60 characters...very strange this.

============
edit.  Seems to be an overall length issue....  If 1 area is very large, another must be reduced on another item.  I haven't been able to replicate the issue with item names, only descriptions.

That at least is how it appears to be working....
« Last Edit: 2009-07-27 17:30:34 by seifertemp »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #563 on: 2009-07-27 19:24:03 »
So then there's a size restriction over the entire text section, eh? Hmm. That's annoying. I wonder what the size limit is.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: 2009-07-27 19:27:44 »
It seems that Seifer isn't the only one to have this problem:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8713.0

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: 2009-07-27 21:32:19 »
I'm trying to create an item that has Aerith's "Fury Brand" technique. To test it out I just changed hero drink's "Additional Effects" to "14, Fills limit gauge of other Allies". Tried it in game, works fine.

Now I'm trying to actually replace an old useless item (say 1/35 Soldier, for example) and have it use the animation ID for Aerith's Fury Brand, and rename it to "Fury Brand" and have it cause the effect.

This would be fine, however, when I go to "Attacks" to find out Aerith's animation ID, when I click on fury brand (under the second set of {BOX:RED} stuff, it doesn't give me any information. Why is this? There are a few limits that are only in this section that you can't alter the information for.

EDIT: I apologise, I've just read through the thread and I realise that the data for certain limit break's isn't in kernel.bin (aside from text). Does anyone have Aerith's Fury Brand animation ID?

Incidentally, I can't run 1.2.1, I just get the error "WallMarket has stopped working". Running WIN7 with both your stated requirements in the first post.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-27 21:44:45 by Prince Lex »

seifertemp

« Reply #566 on: 2009-07-27 21:42:36 »
So then there's a size restriction over the entire text section, eh? Hmm. That's annoying. I wonder what the size limit is.

I am on it.  Will take a while.  I assume it is a text count restriction....unless it is a file size restriction??  Can't see that with a bit of text?

I would need to know whether this is a size issue of file or characters....  and also if it includes the file names itself and if from 1 section or the whole lot.

I havent seen any problems with kernel.bin, just kernel2.  Would need further testing.

edit:

Yeah....  it's across the board,  There is an absolute limit to the text.  Either text limit or just the file size.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-27 22:48:46 by seifertemp »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: 2009-07-28 02:08:19 »
Incidentally, I can't run 1.2.1, I just get the error "WallMarket has stopped working". Running WIN7 with both your stated requirements in the first post.
Same problem here.  You'll have to re run the two .exes that are found on page 1 of this thread.  I don't know if there is a permanent fix, nor what causes it

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #568 on: 2009-07-28 05:08:44 »
EDIT: I apologise, I've just read through the thread and I realise that the data for certain limit break's isn't in kernel.bin (aside from text). Does anyone have Aerith's Fury Brand animation ID?

Good boy! You read! Have a cookie --> (::)

OK, childish behavior aside... The raw data for limits is on page three I think. Also, I added a Note6 to the first post. It pertains to animations. Read that link first.

Sorry, I can't offer any Win7 support. I don't have it. Try what obesebear said. If that doesn't work, ask MS why the .NET 3.5 run-times don't work in Win7.

Phun

« Reply #569 on: 2009-07-28 05:13:54 »

Good boy! You read! Have a cookie --> (::)

OK, childish behavior aside... The raw data for limits is on page three I think. Also, I added a Note6 to the first post. It pertains to animations. Read that link first.

Sorry, I can't offer any Win7 support. I don't have it. Try what obesebear said. If that doesn't work, ask MS why the .NET 3.5 run-times don't work in Win7.

Why not simply rewrite this in C\C++ instead of <insert managed language here>?
« Last Edit: 2009-07-28 05:16:11 by Phun »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: 2009-07-28 17:37:23 »

This again?  :-D

And it's on page two  :wink:

I think you should have a link to info about limit break raw data in the OP.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: 2009-07-29 03:13:58 »
I did what you said, and found that the animation ID for Fury Brand should be 11. It wasn't. I'm confused about this. When I tried it with 11 (I also tried 14, 15 & 82) I got the animation for haste.

Does anyone know what it is?

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: 2009-07-29 04:04:25 »
isnt fury brand a limit break? if it is then you have to go in the higher numbers, not exactly sure which

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #573 on: 2009-07-29 16:14:58 »
I did what you said, and found that the animation ID for Fury Brand should be 11. It wasn't. I'm confused about this. When I tried it with 11 (I also tried 14, 15 & 82) I got the animation for haste.

Does anyone know what it is?

You didn't read Note6 on the first post. Try that.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: 2009-07-29 18:49:58 »
I did.

Note 6 and the thread it links to (this)

Pretend I'm an idiot for a moment (despite evidence that says there's no need to pretend :P). What I got from that was Limit Anim = Limit ID + 236. Correct? Meaning the Limit Animation ID for Fury Brand = 247. However, Wall Market only let's me enter 2 digits for an animation ID.

When this is explained in lamens for me, my next post is going to be "I am a moron and should be killed", I'm aware of this. It's honestly like my mind has reached a wall and rational/intelligent thought has just went out the window.