Author Topic: your view on internet dating  (Read 12351 times)

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
your view on internet dating
« on: 2010-06-05 05:16:36 »
im curious

whats everyones views on internet dating?

my relationship with my girl is mostly internet and online, sinse i only get to see her once maybe every other summer (she's in carolina, im in ontario canada) but i've had this relationship for about 4 years now, and it with it working, it makes me wonder how everyone else see's it.

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: your view on internet dating
« Reply #1 on: 2010-06-05 05:19:02 »
Which Carolina are we talking about here?  Maybe I'll go steal her from you!!

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-06-05 05:25:49 »
I don't like it. If my girlfriend is leaving to some far place we'd rather breakup and be happy for each other. I think being with your girl is what makes it fun and interesting so if its only for the internet that you communicate I think not. Although that's only for me though I never will try internet dating.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #3 on: 2010-06-05 05:26:41 »
Which Carolina are we talking about here?  Maybe I'll go steal her from you!!

lol south carolina, and i dunno, she's already told an ex suitor off to be with me :P

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-06-05 05:38:28 »
lol south carolina, and i dunno, she's already told an ex suitor off to be with me :P
Woohoo.   Lexington County here.  Let's get a pic posted, eh?   Being from SC I'm sure she's a hottie.

idl12

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-06-05 05:43:24 »
Woohoo.   Lexington County here.  Let's get a pic posted, eh?   Being from SC I'm sure she's a hottie.

I humbly second this request :roll:

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-06-05 05:44:31 »
Wouldnt so much call it internet dating, but I met my wife through myspace.

I left to california with my g/f of 2 years (off and on, real rocky) and when we got there she took off on me but she gave me her car.Anyway I didnt know anyone and sent out like 200 msges simply stating I was new in that town and had moved from alabama, and was interested in meeting some friends. I got and pursued like 3 or 4 replies, but then I met my wife and we havent been seperate since the day I met her...so I guess it worked out.

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-06-05 06:25:00 »
Wouldnt so much call it internet dating, but I met my wife through myspace.

I left to california with my g/f of 2 years (off and on, real rocky) and when we got there she took off on me but she gave me her car.Anyway I didnt know anyone and sent out like 200 msges simply stating I was new in that town and had moved from alabama, and was interested in meeting some friends. I got and pursued like 3 or 4 replies, but then I met my wife and we havent been seperate since the day I met her...so I guess it worked out.

Nice success story,

Internet dating is tough. The only reason I like it is people tend to be more honest with what they want.

Odd story:
A 35yo Japanese Nurse (it was an internet chat site designed to practice social communication in Japanese. ) ended up liking me so much (I'd just turn 18 at the time too lol) that she offered to pay my travel and such to marry her and live in Japan  :o
Obviously since I'm in the US I didn't accept. *sigh* now I know that with all the downfalls that relationship could have been I could of just had a mistress on the side :P

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-06-05 06:27:43 »
YOU FOOL! That has always been my dream...

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-06-05 07:25:26 »
My mom and stepdad met online. They've been married for seven and a half years now. On the other hand, statistically internet dating has fairly low success rates.

I really don't know what to think on the matter.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #10 on: 2010-06-05 11:53:39 »
Actual dating on the Internet? That's a little weird. Meeting on the Internet? Not that uncommon. If we're talking about matching services I'm not sure. I personally know two couples that met through one of these services, though one had met once and had a blind date together first (the odds on that are pretty long). They just like to say they met on the Internet.

They're normal couples. I don't see how meeting on the Internet's much different from meeting anywhere else as long as you don't lie about yourself. That's the biggest flaw I see. People purposefully lie to see if they can get "better" people.

ff7rules

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-06-05 12:30:11 »
I met the love of my life on the internet. I think its a great thing, it gives those people who really don't have much confidence in themselves (like me) a chance to talk and get to know the other person before you arrange to meet. Obvoiusly you make sure you have talked for a while on both phone and have seen the person on cam before you arrange to meet so you know who you are meeting. But I think its alot easier to find someone who shares the same interests online than in real life.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #12 on: 2010-06-05 14:05:03 »
heh, i'd post a pic but she's asking me not to, and i respect her wishes

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-06-05 14:05:53 »
Woah I never thought many of our members here uses internet dating. Hmm Good Luck to all of you then. :)

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-06-05 14:20:38 »
HA! Never had the guts to try its a scary world out there, you could end up with a stalker that crazy in the head that wants to wear your skin!!!!.

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-06-05 14:35:14 »
I'm in the same position as Mako.  I can just imagine falling in love with some random person on the internet and arranging to meet, only to find out something I did not expect...

ZOMG, you could accidentally end up dating Hermoor!
*shudder*

craziinova

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-06-05 14:42:13 »
I don't understand how you can 'date' on the internet exactly. You have to be in physical form to date. I've met and had romance with girls on the internet, and made good friends. My two best friends on the internet, Anais and Serge, I've known for years and they both live in Toronto, Canada and I met them separately, and then *i* introduced them together which was a bit strange if you think about it, considering I live in England. They didn't hit it off though. I swear I will go to see them both one day though.

Anyways, 'Dating' sites are for desperate people as are people that use facebook for the same purpose. There's a lot of sad people out there, I guess.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-06-05 16:37:08 »
I don't understand how you can 'date' on the internet exactly. You have to be in physical form to date. I've met and had romance with girls on the internet, and made good friends. My two best friends on the internet, Anais and Serge, I've known for years and they both live in Toronto, Canada and I met them separately, and then *i* introduced them together which was a bit strange if you think about it, considering I live in England. They didn't hit it off though. I swear I will go to see them both one day though.

Anyways, 'Dating' sites are for desperate people as are people that use facebook for the same purpose. There's a lot of sad people out there, I guess.

A Date is just setting up a time to meet doesn't have to be physical. Like phone sex, your not there physically but mentally either way your having sex...
« Last Edit: 2010-06-05 16:45:31 by Mako »

craziinova

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-06-05 16:48:56 »
I don't know how someone in their right mind could use a service like that... you're paying like £5 a minute to talk to someone and you have no idea what they look like. You're better off buying a naughty magazine.

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-06-05 16:52:19 »
I don't know how someone in their right mind could use a service like that... you're paying like £5 a minute to talk to someone and you have no idea what they look like. You're better off buying a naughty magazine.
Better off cybering on webcam :D

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-06-05 16:53:44 »
Dating on the internet - IMO I think the internets is great for holding a long distance relationship together. I met my S.O. in college. After we graduated they moved back home with their parents for a year and a half. But we still dated. Luckily they weren't too far, so we could actually meet up every couple of weeks. But in between that time we'd have "dates", where we'd turn on our webcams, each get a glass of wine, turn on the same channel on TV, and watch it "together".
Horray for webcams and e-mail. I can't imagine trying to do a long distance relationship with snail mail, and photos, instead of daily e-mails and webcams!

Meeting someone on the internets - This, I am not too sure about. I have a crazy coworker. She's 34, and she uses plentyoffish.com (or something like that). Every time she goes out on a date with a new guy, I feel so sorry for the guy! They have no idea that they are about to go out on a date with a really crazy person! However, I do have internet friends that I have talked to since high school. If I were single, I would have considered hooking up with them. But I'm pretty sure I wouldn't officially "date" them, until I had gotten to know them in person.

JMHO

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010-06-05 17:00:24 »
I'm in the same position as Mako.  I can just imagine falling in love with some random person on the internet and arranging to meet, only to find out something I did not expect...

ZOMG, you could accidentally end up dating Hermoor!
*shudder*
I didn't see this post. Its enough reason to be scared of internet dating if Hermoor is your partner. *hide*
also craziinova-I do think your avatar is too big.

craziinova

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010-06-05 17:25:08 »
Yeah, I just edited it.

Hermoor? ugh, you could just imagine a creep like that on a sleezy chat site

Lion

• Sleeping Lionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-06-05 18:07:48 »
i think that as long as there is some degree of human contact that it's good. just can't imagine a date going "lol u r so beautiful <3 <3"

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010-06-05 18:57:06 »
Met an ex on the internet....  Then she turned out to be a cheating whore....  Of course, I actually bear no ill-will towards her and we're still good friends.  I just kinda realized what's done is done, might as well move on, and she's still a pretty cool person, so why end a friendship too, it's just the romantic flame has been murdered...violently.