Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII: Japanese Text for Steam Version  (Read 10546 times)

acratus

• View Profile
Hello. I'm a Japanese student and I just bought Final Fantasy VII for Steam. The game supports several language choices, but Japanese is not among them on my version despite it being the developers' native language. Would it be possible to obtain the Japanese text datafiles for my game from somewhere? I would hate to do so, but I could re-buy the game if necessary.

Thanks for any help you could provide.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII: Japanese Text for Steam Version
« Reply #1 on: 2014-03-31 22:25:58 »
Japanese is not among them on my version despite it being the developers' native language.
Keep in mind, the PC version was developed by Eidos back in 1998; their native language is English. The Steam version is just that, but updated.

In fact, until last year, there was no Japanese version for PC. They did finally release it for download, translated back from the English version. I wouldn't expect the Japanese content from this version to work in the Steam version of the game, though (I don't own the Japanese one myself, so I can't test this).

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-03-31 22:48:14 »
Keep in mind, the PC version was developed by Eidos back in 1998; their native language is English.
The PC version wasn't developed by Eidos, it was done by SquareSoft Inc. That's the North American subsidiary, though, so the native language would still (mostly) be English. Looking at the credits, there were at least one Japanese programmer from Square's other games.
« Last Edit: 2014-03-31 23:12:57 by Vehek »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: 2014-03-31 23:00:07 »
Eidos ported it. The PC re-release is based on that port.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-04-01 09:25:58 »
As far as I know, Eidos was only the publisher, the port itself was done by a Square team in Honolulu. The re-release was done by a French company (strange I can't find it anymore on the Wiki, was something with 'E'  :-\ ).

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: 2014-04-01 10:07:56 »
Ah, that's right. Eidos bought the publishing rights for 1mill and a new team was assembled to port the game to PC.

acratus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-04-01 12:09:46 »
Thanks for the info, guys. It seems I can't purchase the game from the aforementioned Square Japan site because my IP has to be in Japan. Is there an off chance anyone has any ideas how to get around this?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-04-01 14:36:11 »
As far as I know, Eidos was only the publisher, the port itself was done by a Square team in Honolulu. The re-release was done by a French company (strange I can't find it anymore on the Wiki, was something with 'E'  :-\ ).
The rerelease was done by DotEmu.

crimson1117

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2016-03-25 08:24:04 »
now FFVII got ios version and there is Japanese language(those files),I think you can go ipa site()