Author Topic: Question for Mirex (or any FF7 textures expert)  (Read 6416 times)

Borde

• View Profile
Question for Mirex (or any FF7 textures expert)
« on: 2005-06-20 22:43:41 »
I've got a little problem when using Palmer's head in a field model. The textures look black in-game (and even in Bitrun, in fact). The silhouette is rendered correctly, but inside it there is only blackness. What could be causing it?
Oh, one more thing: how can I use a custom texture in a model? I tried importing a BMP to TEX using Bitrun, but the game crashed when it tried to load the texture.
I'd like to thank you Mirex for your great program. It's comming very handy.

Reunion

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2005-06-20 23:49:21 »
Use lgptools to make the textures (just because i don't know where the transparency value is useing mirex's method...)

With an lgptools made texture the transparency value will be set at 0 (off). The transparency value can be found at offset 0x8. So all you have to do is set it to 1 (on). This will make the black transparent in your custom textures.

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #2 on: 2005-06-21 07:54:33 »
how can I use a custom texture in a model? I tried importing a BMP to TEX using Bitrun, but the game crashed when it tried to load the texture.

Looks like I have a bug there. Can you tell me what is the name of texture file ? In meanwhile try using lgptools as Reunion said.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005-06-24 12:52:31 »
ok, thanks both.
But I still have the problem that inside the silhouette of the texture everithing is black. The original file p file is called "giao" and the texture is called "giac". I did an rsb file where i told that giao use un texture (giac).

Reunion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005-06-24 16:02:10 »
Don't you mean RSD. Why are you making one a rsd file? Well giao and giac are battle model names.. Are you working with field models or battle models?

But if the texture still appears black you still have not set the transparency value to be on. Set offset 0x8 to have a value of 1.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005-06-24 18:57:43 »
Wops, right, I meant RSD. Yes, I'm using part of palmer's Battle model to build a new field model. I already checked offset 0x8 and it's set to 1. I think I'm not explaining my problem clearly enough. Let's use an imge:

In-game it looks the same.
This is what I wrote on the RSD file:
@RSD940102
# Output by SGI RSD fileset library libRsdObj.
PLY=BXCE.PLY
MAT=BXCE.MAT
GRP=BXCE.GRP
# Texture files
NTEX=1
TEX[0]=GIAC.TIM
Anyone has an idea why is this happening?

Reunion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005-06-24 19:32:35 »
Why are you making a new rsd file when bxcd.rsd will load the same thing? You just have to change what texures bxcd.rsd is loading.

Make sure that your textures are bitmaps and in 256 color. Then use lpgtools convert them ff7 textures.

Could you show a picture of your texture?

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005-06-24 21:57:38 »
The texture I applied to this model es simply the one that was suposed to fit with the original one (that is "giac", just that I changed the name to "giac.tex"). Palmer's head has only one texture and that's why I set the number of textures to 1.
Ok, I didn't explained myself well, I meant that I MODIFIED the existing RSD file for the head model.
Did you have any problem with textures when you converted Cloud's hi-res model to a field model?

Reunion

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005-06-24 22:21:22 »
No I didn't have the problem that you seem to be having, but I never changed anything on cloud either. I've changed other models textures but never had your problem..
Could you put up a picture of your texture just so I can see what it is suppost to be?

You could also just rename giac.tex to bxcf.tex just so you are not creatiing an additional file in your lgp. And then have the rsd load bxcf.tex...(but this doesn't really matter)

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005-06-25 21:48:23 »
now i understand where the problem is. It looks like the FF7 engine blends the first color found in the model with the colors found in the texture. In my case, since the first color found was black, the textures loked entierly black. if I repaint the hair to red, that's what I get:

I don't understand what's the purpose of all this.
Since Bitrun does exactly the same, could you give us a brief explanation about why is this necesary, Mirex?

Reunion

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005-06-25 22:51:03 »
You are changing the colors in the second group of your file that is why the textures are changing colors. Keep the second groups color at white.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005-06-28 08:11:27 »
DOH! You are right Reunion. That makes much more sense. Thanks.
But I still don't get why the color of the polygon must be blended with the texture.