Author Topic: Does FF7 engine support shinniness?  (Read 5440 times)

Borde

• View Profile
Does FF7 engine support shinniness?
« on: 2005-12-21 11:42:17 »
I've realized lastly that all models i do look matt. I don't remeber very well what happend with the original models (It's been a long time since the last time i played through the entier game). Is there any way of making a model "shinny" or the lighting engine simply doesn't support it?

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2005-12-21 13:25:39 »
>_> I dont know the answer, but your asking to change them into plasticy action men?

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005-12-21 16:40:06 »
I asked a similar question in a previous post.  I tried to search for the answer but I could not find the forum topic with the search function and I can only look at my past 60 posts.  If I recall correctly, someone told me that it was lighted via the game engine.

I did some more digging and I'd suggest taking a look at the first page of the Reunion patch.  He mentions his early lighting problems.  I'm not an expert at this, but I'm guessing this could lead you to the solution of your problem.

Once again, I hope this helps.

[EDIT]
Page two of that thread Reunion figures out the lighting problem.

Quote from: Reunion
I've fixed the lighting!!! Expect a new realese shortly.. It turned out I was indexing it wrong. Also 3ds inverts the vertices and the polygons to fix this I just had to fix the polygons but not the vertices. So thanks for all the help!

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005-12-21 17:39:11 »
Thanks Otokoshi, but no, it's not what I was looking for. The light is already right, but I'd like to know if you can redefine the material to make it look shiny. It would be nice to make some parts of the models look that way (for example the metalic parts, the boots, etc.). The problem with the lack of shinnyness is the fact that black models look plain black (with no shading at all).

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005-12-21 17:41:59 »
He swings and misses!  Oh well, I tried to help.  I'll just go back and sit in the corner.  :)

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005-12-22 10:46:00 »
But I thought all the models in FF7 had the same surface? None are smoother than the other.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005-12-30 05:33:47 »
Would it not be possible to manually "color in" some shinyness by messing with the RGB values, or are you looking for some sort of dynamic reflective shinyness that changes based on your P.O.V., like on Grand Turismo's cars?

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005-12-30 10:40:35 »
Yes, that's what I meant, dynamic lighting. I've studied OpenGL for a subject and it had full support for ambient, diffuse and specular lighting. Well, I supose DirectX 5.2 wasn't advanced enough to use the last one. As Skillster stated, no FF7 model has shinniness. I supose I'll have to modify my little program to draw precalculated lighting on the models (like in the battle models). In fact it doesn't look that hard :-P

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005-12-30 13:43:17 »
That sounds awesome.  You wouldn't happen to be putting that toward your NPC project now would you? :wink:   Keep up the great work.