Poll

What do you think about Silent Hill (The movie)

Great
1 (25%)
Above average
1 (25%)
Mediocre
1 (25%)
Terrible
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Silent Hill: Can a movie be a tribute and an insult at the same time?  (Read 4254 times)

Borde

• View Profile
Hello everyone. I've just seen Silent Hill the Movie. I've kept an eye on this movie since it came out in the US. The reviews I've been reading were incredibly varied ranging from those that called it a master piece to those that despised it.

Personally, I remember Silent Hill 1 as one of the best games I've ever played. The second and third were quiet good too, but the first was great. I've lost my faith on the games-movies adpatations long ago, but after reading the movie was mostly based on the first episode I regained some hope.

Well, now I've seen it and I'm... quiet pissed. The first half was great. I can't say it was scary at all, but It certainly captured the ambience of the game perfectly and the details taken directly from the game made me smile several times. But then... oh my... they certainly messed it. I can't see the point in changing the story to that extent contradicting the game so directly.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I'd like to see what those of you who have seen it thought about it.

zero88

• View Profile
You know, with game-movie and movie-game adaptations, in my experience, it's either really good or really bad. There's usually no middle ground. And the sad thing is, it's usually really bad.

The only two that I can think of that were really good, both video game and movie, are Mortal Kombat and Goldeneye. The video game Goldeneye is probably the best movie-to-video game adaptation around. Almost everything else I've seen has just been horrible/sad  :-(

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
What do you tihk about the upcoming Transformers movie? lol

Synergy Blades

I thought it was dire too. My main complaint (and there are several, so I'll just stick with the major one) was that they felt the need to introduce standard gore/horror elements such as Pyramid Head's ripping the skin off the woman and flinging it at the church door, and the end bit with the barbed wire going up Christabella's dress and really, as far as I'm concerned, that's not what Silent Hill's all about. The games did have themes of gore (SH3 had its fair share) but it was used subtly or it had its purpose, whereas here it just seemed like it was chucked in to try and make it a horror movie. Sadly many 'fans' thought it was great which led me to question whether a fair percentage were just enjoying the games for their blood content.

Borde

• View Profile
Well Zero88, sadly I must say that this movie is the best game-movie adaptation I've seen (and it looks like it's the most widespread opinion). And that's quiet depressing. I'd say a movie based on a game (until now at least) can be barely acceptable of a total mess.
And yes, I'm with you Synegry Blade, the final scene was pretty pointless. But simply one more nail to the cofin.

Az

• View Profile
Didn't like it.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-04 18:14:59 by Tawm »