Author Topic: What do I do to only get the improved background images?  (Read 8081 times)

Astralogic

• View Profile
Can someone tell me how to use the bootleg program to just improve the background images and the music please?

Thanks

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Re: What do I do to only get the improved background images?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-04-10 18:14:44 »
Hmm, I have an idea who you are... ;)
Ok, lets start: at first downgrade the game with the Gamesconverter: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14047.0
This is absolutely necessary, otherwise the new OpenGl driver can't work. It is recommended to update to the newer version, if you don't use Bootleg: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14922.0
After that install Anxious Heart: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.0
Optional, but also recommended install the Reunion mod: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14914.0
Now to the backgrounds: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12260.0
In the root folder of FF7 there should be a folder named Mods (if you have the Reunion installed then in Mods is another one called Reunion).  Place the content of Palmer in Mods (or reunion). It should look in the end like this:

Astralogic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-04-10 18:42:28 »
After running the game downgrader, I get new shortcuts on my desktop. When trying to run them it says "Error finding registry key, please reinstall the game".

Edit: Also, the download links for the two mods reunion and anxious heart don't work either.
« Last Edit: 2014-04-10 18:45:31 by Astralogic »

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-04-11 10:55:00 »
After running the game downgrader, I get new shortcuts on my desktop. When trying to run them it says "Error finding registry key, please reinstall the game".
Maybe this helps: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14421.msg201774#msg201774.

Edit: Also, the download links for the two mods reunion and anxious heart don't work either.
The links are working for me. But for the Reunion I have to disable my Adblocker and Anxious Heart is a torrent download (sorry, have forgotten this).
There is a way to use the default music, which comes with the Steam version (only with Aali's driver 0.8 onwards).
Create in the root directory a folder called 'music' and in it another one and name this 'vgmstream'. In 'vgmstream' you should place all music from data/music_ogg.
Now you must open FF7_opengl.cfg with a Texteditor like Notepad or Editor. Search for the line #music_plugin.... and remove the #. Now everything should work.
Here is another music mod, because the files from Square has one mistake:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14816.0

It may look as if there is much to do, but the game will look 3x better as the PSX version.

Astralogic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-04-11 11:23:52 »
Thanks for the info, while doing this I've also been trying to get bootleg to work and I am 99.99% there. All I need is a working link to the file mo.exe. Would you happen to have one? The file doesn't seem to exist anywhere :(

Edit: I just learned that Reunion is the new Menu Overhaul. I have managed to get it, but bootleg wants mo.exe :/

Edit 2: I forgot to mention that the registry key remover didn't find any keys to remove, so it essentially did nothing. I think my best bet is to try to get bootleg working (by getting mo.exe) because I read it does every automatically.
« Last Edit: 2014-04-11 11:29:47 by Astralogic »

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-04-11 12:18:35 »
Well, you must run the Gamesconverter first even for bootleg.
I'm sorry but I haven't a backup of MO.
Bootleg is old and needs the outdated 0.7.11b driver to work properly. The new 0.8.1b driver has kicked out some features, which the MO needed. In the Reunion is this fixed, that's why I think the MO isn't available from DLPB any more. Also the new driver has a native external music support. For the old driver is a another tool needed, which is good but didn't work correctly in some places.

Astralogic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-04-11 14:22:11 »
Well, since the gameconverter doesn't work I don't have any choice. I'll have to stick with the PSX version.

Thanks for the help.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-04-11 15:48:01 »
I'm sure it will work. Try to post your problem on the GC-page. I think it is something easy to fix and caused by the lack of knowledge we both have. I didn't used newest version of GC. As far as I know the GC creates a log file, possible Kompass64 can spot out the problem with it.

Astralogic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-04-11 16:46:01 »
I couldn't find GC page so I made the post in the troubleshooting section. Thanks for the tip.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2014-04-11 18:30:34 »
I've Updated GC, hopefully the Problem is fixed now...

Astralogic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2014-04-11 20:34:48 »
Yeah that fixed it :D

When installing the mod with the music, I had the option of install ALL the music. Is there a way to test them all out? I only installed the original music (I assume improved over the original PC music?)

Astralogic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2014-04-11 20:55:53 »
Whe I said it worked I was talking about the config file. When I try to run FF7.exe I get this error: You have an error in your config file, some options may not have been parsed. (No such options 'snowboard_framerate'.)

The game still plays though after I click OK. There also appears in red text in the bottom left corner "Couldn't lock sound buffer" but the sound seems to play fine. Also some light blue text said something like "zero count something". I can't remember exactly. Also the backgrounds are the same. The characters models have changed though.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2014-04-11 21:22:55 »
Are you running the game with bootleg moded or without it? The old opengl driver do not know the command 'snowboard_framerate'. So it looks like you are using the old driver with the reunion(?). I have made the experience that the driver stops reading the ff7_opengl.cfg when it encounters an error. So maybe you should open it with an text editor (Notepad/Editor) and delete the command  (it is enough if you place a # before it).
However the error messages aren't a real problem.

Astralogic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2014-04-11 21:51:09 »
But the backgrounds are still the same :(

That's really the only problem.

Edit: I got the bootleg to work! All the backgrounds are looking AMAZING. Thanks for all the help :)
« Last Edit: 2014-04-12 00:05:33 by Astralogic »