Author Topic: [Steam] Steam to 1998 conversion - Game Converter (Beta V0.11)  (Read 219422 times)

Kompass63

• View Profile

Do NOT use this older version with 7th Heaven.
Download the 7th Heaven version from STEP 1 of the Tutorial.

This mod convert FF7 (all Versions) that it works with the English FF7.exe V1.02 (including all the needed registry entries).
This makes it possible to install other mod's (eg DLPB&Kranmer's Menu Overhaul or gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod), which manipulate the FF7.exe.
English, German, French and Spanish are supported! 1
NOW WORKS WITH XP, WIN 7 AND WIN 8, 32 or 64 Bit, with or without UAC :-D
Now also work with Steam Release 2013 (see EDIT 2013-07-07)

Please report if it works for you!

Special thanks goes to  EQ2Alyza, who has corrected many English sentences and other things has inserted.

I uploadet the two files in a mirror too. The links:
(Version 0.10)
Mediafire
GoogleDocs
So have fun with this awesome creation :D
Great  thanks for that :)

You will lose Achievements, Cloud Saves, and the Trainer after it is converted.

(Updated on 05-may-2013 07:50 GMT)
(Updated on 21-jun-2013 15:45 GMT)
(Updated on 07-jul-2013 02:32 GMT)
(Updated on 09-jul-2013 06:53 GMT)
(Updated on 31-jul-2013 05:20 GMT)
(Updated on 01-feb-2014 07:36 GMT)
(Updated on 13-feb-2014 03:12 GMT)
(Updated on 11-apr-2014 17:58 GMT)

FF7 Game Converter is still BETA, using at your own risk.

FF7 Game Converter requires an unmodified version of FF7 (new or old release).
If you have a Re- or Steam-Release and have used Bootleg before, it is maybe necessary to rid the registry of unnecessary keys.
Before using FF7 Game Converter you need a volume labeled "FF7DISC1", "FF7DISC2" or "FF7DISC3" (for the Re- or Steam-Release it is enough to relabel a USB stick)

Start the FF7 Game Converter with an unmodified FF7 installation.
You don't need to install the Patch 1.02
DO NOT USE Kranmers NewToOld patch! (A better version is already included)
UNZIP NOT Aalis driver 0.8.1b into the game folder. (already included)
also included:
DLPB's Multi.DLL 2
DLPB's Hext.DLL
Kranmer's FF7anyCDv2.DLL
Laptop-Key-Patch

After installing the FF7_GameConverter you should run the game at least once before you install other mod's or Bootleg040 3.

Note: Some mod's use English words. If the game will show up English words that is (probably) the cause.

The Menu Overhaul from DLPB&Kranmer may spend some error messages during installation.
The reason is that MO uses old touphscript and this program is absolutely unfit for exotic data.
Nevertheless, the main point of MO seems to be working  :-D
We (Red Xell, Kaldarasha and I) have for MO already translated some things back into German.
MO_ger_Patch.zip
Extract and copy useful into the game folder. Also included are pictures of the Battle of Fort Condor.
(The images Kaldarasha reworked, thanks a lot)

Thanks to DLPB and Kranmer for their DLLs and for MO
Also Thank to Aali for his OpenGL-Driver
Thanks to EQ2Alyza for working on the Script

VERY VERY special thanks goes to Red Xell and Kaldarasha, they were so brave FF7 Game Converter to test first.

Edit 2013-05-05    BugFix:
         don't recognized FF7-Disk on spanish Windows, fixed (hopefully for all languages ::)) (thanks to cloud15)
         Floppydisk now also accept as FF7-Disc :evil:
         little Registrykeys fixing

Edit 2013-06-21    BugFix:
         major Registrykeys fixing
         Detection integrated, under which environment the script works
         integrated compatibility for XP and Win8 (!!!!)
         Disk recognition modified

EDIT 2013-07-07 :
         Added possibility to manually enter the path to FF7, if he was not found in the registry.
         This now allows the Steam version, but it works only if no old registry keys are there!
         Was a bootleg or "new to old converter" previously used before, it is necessary to rid the registry of thereby created keys.
         Thanks for the testing goes to EQ2Alyza :-D

EDIT 2013-07-09 :
          Added automatic recognition of the Steam release

EDIT 2013-07-31:
          Added possibility to manually enter the path to FF7 (again!) for moved FF7-Folder.
          Fixed some errors.
          Fixed languagedetection for Steam Release, thanks Template for reporting

EDIT 2014-02-01:
          If Destination is inside a Systemfolder GC will copy all to "C:\Games\FF7"
          FF7Config is now calling up.
          Fixes some small issues.

EDIT 2014-02-13:
          If Destination is inside a Systemfolder GC will ask to copy all to "C:\Games\FF7"
          Instert small Piracy protection.
          Laptop Key Patch added if needed.
          Fixes some small issues.

EDIT 2014-04-11:
          Update Aali's Custom Driver Version 0.8.1b
          Create a Batch for FF7Config
          Fix an error with Icons

1 The French and Spanish version of the file "FF7exe-[lang]-translation.txt" probably contains some errors.
   Since I can not these languages​​, I can not change it much.
   If someone can do better, I'll add this here. :-D

2 Kranmers Multi.dll seems to cause mistakes in connection with FF7Music.
   Unfortunately, this DLL is re-installed by Bootleg.
   If you want to use DLPBs Multi.dll, remember to copy all the DLLs out of the sub-folder "LOADR" into the sub-folder "DLL_in".

3 Bootleg040 is not designed for XP, but can still be used.
   After the Bootleg040 Omzy's FFVII Field Pack should be manually inserted into the mods\Bootleg folder.
   You must also edit the "Run FFVII-Bootleg.bat", remove all "/AFFINITY F" (XP dont know about this).
« Last Edit: 2018-04-24 18:26:52 by Covarr »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Re: FF7 Game Converter -BETA-
« Reply #1 on: 2013-02-27 05:59:55 »
Pro stuff! :P :P Thanks mate!

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-02-27 06:05:14 »
First wait how many errors occur ... ;D ;D ;D

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-02-27 06:34:10 »
Excellent :) 

RedXell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-02-27 14:31:40 »
A small note for everybody who use bootleg:

The folder in mods is DK. If you are using bootleg pls rename DK in Bootleg.

I uploadet the two files in a mirror too. The links:

(Version 0.10)
Mediafire

GoogleDocs

So have fun with this awesome creation :D

EDIT

New version is online. Links are updated.
« Last Edit: 2014-02-01 07:31:06 by RedXell »

ManuBBXX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-04-21 10:46:07 »
Hi everybody. I'm sorry but, I didn't understand the 'goal' of the FF7 converter.
What is different with it, in comparison of normal bootleg utilisation ? I mean, what does it permit than bootleg doesn't ?
We can have ff7 traduced with the re-translation of MO in bootleg, so what the converter brings more for it ?
Thanks a lot

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-04-21 12:31:21 »
The MO only works correctly with the english ff7.exe. The converter has the ability to compile your ff7-installation (assumed you have a non english game) to the english one, but without that you will notice it. This means that the menu and the minigames have the right language. However I only can say this for the german part any other language has to be tested first to say this for sure, also the window.bin off the MO is designed to the english words and need a correction for each language (well it's still Beta, isn't it).
I'm not sure how big this project really will grow,
but I believe it has great potential to become an "Unofficial-FF7-International-Community-Patch".

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 2013-05-12 17:49:17 »
I don't own a non-English version to test this.

1) Does it convert ANY non-English version to a 1997 English version?
2) If yes, I assume a Bootleg installation can be done afterward without conflict?
3) If Bootleg can be used, then the cfg needs to be edited to point the mods folder to DK instead of bootleg?

I need to edit my Bootleg Installation Guide to include this  :)

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-05-12 18:56:08 »
Hi EQ2Alyza,

1) Does it convert ANY non-English version to a 1997 English version?
Only English, German, Spanish and French...
And that's only "Theoretically", as I myself own not any "old" version in languages ​​other than German.
With the rerelease it works in those languages.

2) If yes, I assume a Bootleg installation can be done afterward without conflict?
not really...
The GC copied (and convert) the appropriate country-specific files as they should be with the English version.
I.e. the Gflevel.lgp (as example) is copied to flevel.lgp.
Any changes made ​​earlier by bootleg to the "flevel.lgp" will be lost ...

3) If Bootleg can be used, then the cfg needs to be edited to point the mods folder to DK instead of bootleg?
Unfortunately, I do not know exactly how bootleg react if there is already a "mods folder" exists.
In principle, everyone should move the contents of all subfolders located in the folder "mods" in just one subfolder (eg "Bootleg").
Aalis driver may only use one subfolder (of my knowledge).

Great concern to me the program "touphScript" of luksy (is also used by MO.exe).
touphScript can not handle the flevel.lgp of 2012, also other new and exotic files may "touphScript" fail.

For everything else I do not see any problems because the basic file structure is the same in all languages.

What I forgot to mention ...
GC does not work with WinXP, I used the command "CHOICE" in the script.
This command is normally not available in XP... :)

Edit (21-06-2013):
I've added "CHOICE.EXE", now work with XP
« Last Edit: 2013-06-21 18:32:11 by Kompass63 »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-05-14 17:24:00 »
Hi EQ2Alyza,
Only English, German, Spanish and French...
And that's only "Theoretically", as I myself own not any "old" version in languages ​​other than German.
With the rerelease it works in those languages.

Excellent. I will include links to buy the English (EU), German, Spanish, and French versions in my guide.

not really...
The GC copied (and convert) the appropriate country-specific files as they should be with the English version.
I.e. the Gflevel.lgp (as example) is copied to flevel.lgp.
Any changes made ​​earlier by bootleg to the "flevel.lgp" will be lost ...

I was asking if Bootleg can be run after your GC is used, not before. If it converts Gflevel, Sflevel, Fflevel to flevel.lpg, then Bootleg should be capable of reading it. Can this be confirmed with a test on your German version please?  :)

Unfortunately, I do not know exactly how bootleg react if there is already a "mods folder" exists.
In principle, everyone should move the contents of all subfolders located in the folder "mods" in just one subfolder (eg "Bootleg").
Aalis driver may only use one subfolder (of my knowledge).

From what I read somewhere else, your GC configures Aali to read mods from a subfolder called "DK" so all that would need to be done is changing the configure to read from "Bootleg" instead. I just need a test subject to confirm or deny this...*hint hint*  :P

What I forgot to mention ...
GC does not work with WinXP, I used the command "CHOICE" in the script.
This command is normally not available in XP... :)

If that's the case, then I might change system requirements to Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. XP is outdated at this point, and anyone using it will probably have too old a computer to even handle the mods.

RedXell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-05-14 18:17:18 »
I was asking if Bootleg can be run after your GC is used, not before. If it converts Gflevel, Sflevel, Fflevel to flevel.lpg, then Bootleg should be capable of reading it. Can this be confirmed with a test on your German version please?

You can run Bootleg after installing the GC. I tested the GC in combination with Bootleg in many ways and i had never problems. Well I must say I tested the GC only with the rerelease.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2013-05-15 21:52:45 »
Thank you RedXell, that's perfect. The rerelease is actually the best test. I will edit my guide to include support for German, Spanish, and French using this GC  :)

RedXell

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-05-15 22:47:56 »
Ahh I forgot to say one thing:

Bootleg installed the multi.dll from kranmer. But the GC needs the multi.dll from DLPB. I tested both multi.dll and i got one problem: If you are using the multi.dll from kranmer the translation of MO doesn't work with the musicmod (Both musicmods. the one from ficedulla and the one from covarr).

So before you use bootleg, you must safe the multi.dll what GC is installing. After using bootleg replace the multi.dll from kranmer with the one from DLPB.

EDIT

Again I forgot to say (hehe xD):
Every .dll-files (as an example kranmers FF7anyCDv2.dll) must be moved in the DLL_in folder for working correctly. I don't really know why but kranmers multi.dll have big problems with DLPB Hext.dll if you are using the musicmods.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-15 22:56:37 by RedXell »

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2013-05-18 11:55:53 »
Hi

I was asking if Bootleg can be run after your GC is used, not before.
Apologies, I've slept a little.
Yes, bootleg works afterwards.

As much as I appreciate the enthusiasm of RedXell (thanks for that) I will not conceal the fact that there are minor problems.

Some (few) boxes now no longer have the correct width, see here

Also, the battle system has suffered from MenuOverhaul something.

Everything else seems to work so far ...

In order to correct the first error is "MO_ger_Patch.zip" download and unzip it into the game folder.
The file "MO_ger_patsch.txt" which then ends up in the "Hext_in", will fit the box size, though at the German words, but at least something.

MO.exe itself (outside Bootleg) creates a folder called "mods\DK" where the images are.
When you install MO with bootleg these images are moved to the folder "mods\Bootleg".
The "MO_ger_Patch.zip" also contains some images for the German version, but in the folder "mods\DK".
Who has installed a German version with bootleg can move these images into the folder "mods\Bootleg".

For the second error, unfortunately I can not say anything at the moment ...

From what I read somewhere else, your GC configures Aali to read mods from a subfolder called "DK"
The GC manipulated nothing in this regard ...

Not to be underestimated is the fact that with my GC can also work with UAC enabled now!
Also bootleg now works with UAC

The problems with Kranmers "Multi.dll" I lead it back that the virus scanner does not like this file.
Therefore I have taken DLPB's multi.dll.

If there is a need I could adapt GC to WindowsXP, including Chocobo patch (maybe).
I do not think that this is really worth...
« Last Edit: 2013-06-21 19:31:48 by Kompass63 »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2013-06-08 15:34:33 »
Kompass, have you tried downloading Kranmer's Converter and using the registry entries he provides? Do they fix the "MountFF7DISC1.bat is missing" issue? I forgot to mention this in my tutorial, although I did use it for Bootleg0039 long ago, which may be why I never had issues getting my FF7DISC1 recognized. If so, PitBrat may have forgotten these entries being automated with Bootleg0040.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/yeacw1v0uf6d9av/FF7+PC+New+to+Old+Converter+By+Kranmer+V0.3.zip

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2013-06-08 16:55:40 »
If there is a need I could adapt GC to WindowsXP, including Chocobo patch (maybe).
I do not think that this is really worth...

Not unless it's easy to do. XP is too old. I was just thinking that it used to work with XP(but wasn't positive) so why now not? Alyza knows why it seems. Can hopefully be fixed easy by users adding Kranmer's registry entries manually.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2013-06-08 23:27:29 »
The Virtual Hard Disk for FF7 is a bonus of Bootleg040 (039 ???).

If you click on the button "Mount", the file "[Gamedir]\MountDisk\MountFF7DISC1.bat" is executed and the disk will be logged in.
If you click on the button "Unmount", the file "[Gamedir]\MountDisk\UnmountFF7DISC1.bat" is executed and the disk will be logged out.
This does not work with XP because there is no virtual hard disks possible.

If the message "MountFF7DISC1.bat is missing" occur, the file simply missing.
Maybe PB has installed a safety device so the VHD not cause damage.

If the hook is set at "Auto Mount" is called every time when click on "Play FF7" also "MountFF7DISC1.bat" and the drive letter will be entered into the registry.

You can completely forget the VHD, for example if you rename a USB stick in "FF7DISC1" and choose the drive letter of this USB stick in the "Data Drive" box (make the check in the "Auto mount" away and write CFG).
The drive letter will also be entered into the registry, regardless of whether UAC is active or not (it is one and the same key).

The message "MountFF7DISC1.bat is missing" should no longer occur.

Of course I've seen and tried Kranmers patch.
The keys I've listed here.
I notice now that there are two entries ..."DiscNo" and "DiskNo"... :-o
I'll have to check again ...

I will also try out Win 8 and see if I can adjust the FF7GameConverter, even on XP.

DraigoDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2013-07-05 05:06:19 »
Do I use this even If I already have a english game?

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2013-07-05 05:48:10 »
You can also use this for an English version, some registry keys are set, Aali's driver is inserted, the rerelease is converted to the old release.
But it will used the files of the rerelease, SE has partially renewed, so it is not 100% authentic 1998 version :wink:

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2013-07-05 09:51:36 »
There is a new version to adapt to:

GC will not install on the just released Steam version.

I have purchased it and GC cannot locate the FF7 install, which is within the Steam menu structure. Bootleg installs fine on it. Doing more testing.

Komp :P If you get a minute, can you tell me a little about what might be the advantage of using your Game Converter as opposed to the one included with bootleg for a English US version of the rerelease?

Because this Steam download is English only, we can't choose Spanish, French or German as far as I can tell, which kinda bums me out because I wanted to try to play in German...

So I'm wondering if it even makes sense for you to trouble yourself converting it to also work with Steam. But it probably does.

I gotta say, after checking out the Steam release I can definitely understand why people want to add the new backgrounds to it, instead of converting to 1998 release. The new release has quite a few nice little details. Not the least of which is the critical hit flash, which I hadn't actually seen since around year 2002. :P 

Forced anti-aliasing does work with it, but the backgrounds are so weird looking that it's awkward playing it, then the battle backgrounds kinda looked like they'd been messed with a little or something, not sure. The game runs a little smoother on the Steam release, even with bootleg on it. Now that the new release is available again on the US Square store, I'm gonna pick it up to do a couple tests, which will make this the 4th copy of ff7 i own... Never had to replace my old psx discs! 

Edit: Due to a recent gag-order placed on me I'll respond using this pre-approved post. Komp, I've understood this project perfectly, and it does it's job well. It is necessary to make installation of bootleg40 on windows XP, I believe. The English text in the installer is NOT confusing. It's not native English but it's perfectly easy to understand, particularly when it pops the ff7config chocobo Icon right up on your desktop for you. It works perfectly on the versions that it is needed for. As the Steam version is English only you need not worry with this, unless you really feel UAC is an issue worth shielding people from. I think UAC is a bad feature and so I just tell people to turn it off. Now Tifa's Bootleg even reflects this attitude. People with Steam versions can skip her step 0 GC install and people can turn UAC back on after installation is complete if they use the feature to guard against guest users. This is the only good reason I can think of for UAC, though I'm sure there are more.

The important thing for the next version of the Game Converter (if you decide to continue working on the project) will be to fully integrate with the Reunion Menu Overhaul for the European rerelease. Does this not seem possible to work out with Dan, it would save them from having to continue working on Kranmer. I'm sure he'd rather save a buncha threads about UAC being made.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-10 04:09:52 by Template »

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2013-07-05 14:45:06 »
The Game Converter is is actually an idea of DLPB.
But he rejected the project again, probably because the German text was not really integrate into the English exe using touphScript. (probably my fault)

The purpose was to get mods for the German, French or Spanish OLD version to run, which are actually only work with the English version.

The second reason is that Kranmer has its "new to old patch" designed with disabled UAC.
Thousands of people have never heard of what UAC is, turn off by them no question.

Nah, I'm not a fan of it, protection mechanisms (and UAC is something) just turn off, and so I looked closer and picked out the needed registry keys.

EDIT:
Thanks for the pictures with the keys, but you had already sent me and come from bootleg, not the Steam version.

The English text in the installer is NOT confusing
On English text, I've also changed nothing.
You can unpack my GC with WinRar. In the folder "sprinkles" you'll find three text files, one of which is inserted later in the game.
That is the only text (and a few other Bytes) that will be changed in the game, thanks to "Hext.dll" without manipulating the FF7.exe  :)

People with Steam versions can skip her step 0 GC install and people can turn UAC back on after installation is complete if they use the feature to guard against guest users.
I fear that's not that simple.
Since the key for UAC & FF7 missing, the game will probably crash when you turn on UAC again.
But I have not tested ...

EDIT2:
...to fully integrate with the Reunion Menu Overhaul for the European rerelease.
Actually, it works with it, apart from a few minor errors.
The text boxes are of course intended for English text, the German text does not fit in there often.
I have corrected a few boxes, but not all. (see "MO_ger_Patch.zip")
« Last Edit: 2013-07-05 16:21:07 by Kompass63 »

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2013-07-10 04:12:22 »
Oh, you fixed it for STEAM! Bravissimo! I will test tonight, most likely.

Edit: OK, here's my one issue with the GC. No clue what could be causing this, and it's so small a detail it hardly seems worth mentioning: it results in a very short, high-pitched, glitch-like sound being emitted across my speaker output when the game opens, just prior to opening FMV. Is that a known issue or not been seen?
« Last Edit: 2013-07-10 14:42:30 by Template »

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2013-07-10 15:48:49 »
I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with my GC, but will try to find the error.

Have you installed another Mod's after GC?
What videos do you use? (Rerelease ones, DLPB's ones, Rumbah's one)
Can you play the videos flawlessly with a media player? (if not, you may should update the Sounddriver)
Do you play via HDMI cable?

Can you make a video of it?

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2013-07-10 16:19:05 »
I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with my GC, but will try to find the error.

Have you installed another Mod's after GC?
What videos do you use? (Rerelease ones, DLPB's ones, Rumbah's one)
Can you play the videos flawlessly with a media player? (if not, you may should update the Sounddriver)
Do you play via HDMI cable?

Can you make a video of it?

No mods after GC, tested it directly after install and this has been the case every time I've installed it. It was hard to get rid of, too. I had to use your remove-ff7-keys tool (it finds 3 keys instead of 2) :-D

Videos work fine, not video related, i think. Was using rerelease vids just now, because no mods, but stayed that way after bootleg and switching vids before with .7, too. It happens before the videos come on. It blips when the GC finishes and it prompts you to run ff7config, also.

I am playing via stereo speakers output right now, I can switch to HDMI out.

If you want a vid of it, itl be a cell phone video lol.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-10 16:29:43 by Template »

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2013-07-10 17:36:02 »
It blips when the GC finishes and it prompts you to run ff7config, also.
That explains ALL  :roll:

I have installed a few beeps at key locations in the script so that the user is more attentive.
Otherwise he might overlook the last lines in the dos window... ;D