Author Topic: Download FF7?  (Read 8984 times)

MrSinister

• Pirate
  • Fast newbie
    • View Profile
Download FF7?
« on: 2011-08-07 14:51:45 »
if someone downloaded FF7, is Aali's driver performance affected by where the game was downloaded from or it doesn't matter?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • No life
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Re: Download FF7?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-08-07 15:50:38 »
It doesn't matter, but you just told anyone that you are a pirate :P

MrSinister

• Pirate
  • Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-08 20:34:02 »
It doesn't matter, but you just told anyone that you are a pirate :P
i didn't put this up. For w/e reason my avatar got replaced with this

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • No life
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-08 22:21:47 »
i didn't put this up. For w/e reason my avatar got replaced with this
When moderators see that someone is using an illegally pirated copy of the game, they replace the avatar with a pirate and add that user to the group "Pirate".

DLPB

• No life
  • For I realized that God's a young man, too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-09 09:08:04 »
hahahaha!

MrSinister

• Pirate
  • Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-09 09:33:07 »
When moderators see that someone is using an illegally pirated copy of the game, they replace the avatar with a pirate and add that user to the group "Pirate".
i never said i downloaded it though. I just asked if Aali's driver was affected by whether or not the game was downloaded ^^ i have iso files from the retail copy. How could someone actually infer that i pirated the game from asking a simple enough question out of curiosity? Whoever screwed my avatar up ought to change it back already and stop jumping to conclusions geez
« Last Edit: 2011-08-09 09:37:54 by MrSinister »

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Freak
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-08-09 09:55:23 »
i never said i downloaded it though. I just asked if Aali's driver was affected by whether or not the game was downloaded ^^ i have iso files from the retail copy. How could someone actually infer that i pirated the game from asking a simple enough question out of curiosity? Whoever screwed my avatar up ought to change it back already and stop jumping to conclusions geez

You specifically said "does it matter WHERE the game was downloaded" indicating there was no question if you downloaded the game or not, but from where you downloaded it from. If you wanted to know if the driver would work with the ISO of the game you ripped from your own disc, you should have been more specific.

You even said "if someone downloaded ff7". What were the mods suppose to think?
« Last Edit: 2011-08-09 10:01:04 by DarkFang »

obesebear

• Administrator
  • No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-08-09 13:32:52 »
Split from Aali's topic because it's completely off subject.   Moved to FAQs because it's so sad that people think it's ok to announce they've illegally acquired something.

Let's be serious here, what legitimate reason do you have for asking if it matters where you downloaded FF7 from?  Just for your own personal knowledge?  Maybe so you'll know the best place to download it?  Either way you heavily imply that you already downloaded it not only because of this post, but also because of the problems you've had getting FF7 to work.   Provide the administration staff with undeniable proof you own a copy and I'm sure your profile will be returned to normal.

MrSinister

• Pirate
  • Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-08-09 20:31:14 »
You specifically said "does it matter WHERE the game was downloaded" indicating there was no question if you downloaded the game or not, but from where you downloaded it from. If you wanted to know if the driver would work with the ISO of the game you ripped from your own disc, you should have been more specific.

You even said "if someone downloaded ff7". What were the mods suppose to think?
Just because a person throws "someone" in their question doesn't mean it's ok to just assume the person is talking about themselves. It wouldn't have killed anyone to ask me first whether or not i specifically downloaded it before throwing a scarlet letter on me
Let's be serious here, what legitimate reason do you have for asking if it matters where you downloaded FF7 from?  Just for your own personal knowledge?  Maybe so you'll know the best place to download it?  Either way you heavily imply that you already downloaded it not only because of this post, but also because of the problems you've had getting FF7 to work.   Provide the administration staff with undeniable proof you own a copy and I'm sure your profile will be returned to normal.
in case you haven't heard, there's a such thing as asking a hypothetical question. I haven't bought and played a pc game before now and i was just trying to cover my bases on what the possible issue could be. And fyi, i ran across other ppl who got the official version and feel like they got ripped off because they are having one issue after another despite the fact that a paid for game is supposed to work. Did it ever occur to whoever screwed with my avatar that i might have taken the retail copy and made iso files from them so i wouldn't have to use discs?
« Last Edit: 2011-08-09 20:37:39 by MrSinister »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-08-09 20:41:29 »
Hmm, well. I trust you. Though, you need proof. A simple pic is enough. There's no need to rush anything. A pic and everything'll be back to normal :)

Tekkie.X

• Freak
  • Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-08-10 15:56:42 »
Hold the CDs up next to your monitor showing this forum.

PitBrat

• No life
  • Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-08-10 15:59:26 »
We should all petition GOG to add FF7 and FF8 to their catalogue!

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • No life
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-08-10 17:14:12 »
Good luck getting Square-Enix to cooperate. :P

Jaitsu

• No life
  • DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #13 on: 2011-08-10 18:04:28 »
Just because a person throws "someone" in their question doesn't mean it's ok to just assume the person is talking about themselves. It wouldn't have killed anyone to ask me first whether or not i specifically downloaded it before throwing a scarlet letter on me in case you haven't heard, there's a such thing as asking a hypothetical question. I haven't bought and played a pc game before now and i was just trying to cover my bases on what the possible issue could be. And fyi, i ran across other ppl who got the official version and feel like they got ripped off because they are having one issue after another despite the fact that a paid for game is supposed to work. Did it ever occur to whoever screwed with my avatar that i might have taken the retail copy and made iso files from them so i wouldn't have to use discs?

asking this "hypothetical question" on a forum dedicated to the game with powerful rules in place against piracy, and dodging requests for proof, what are the mods supposed to think? if you want to ask hypothetical questions, go to a philosophy forum, no one here is going to help you with this.

however, on the off-chance your telling the truth, what version do you have might i ask, normal or the ultima edition.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-08-10 18:15:59 »
The Ultima Edition costs less money, and is written on the discs if it is :P

MrSinister

• Pirate
  • Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-08-10 18:47:56 »

asking this "hypothetical question" on a forum dedicated to the game with powerful rules in place against piracy, and dodging requests for proof, what are the mods supposed to think? if you want to ask hypothetical questions, go to a philosophy forum, no one here is going to help you with this.

however, on the off-chance your telling the truth, what version do you have might i ask, normal or the ultima edition.
first off, i haven't been "dodging" anything. I just don't have anything to upload a photo of it to my computer with right now. The closest thing to it that i can produce to show i have the normal version is maybe a screenshot or w/e of the Eidos/Squaresoft screen of when the game starts.  Also i don't recall asking for your two cents. I don't need anyone's permission, least of all your's, to post a hypothetical question where and when i want

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
  • No life
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 2011-08-10 19:24:20 »

Pretty unlikely. Given that all we've done is subject you to the 'terrible pain' of a slightly silly avatar, I think the risk of a false positive is one we're willing to bear.

I don't need anyone's permission to post a hypothetical question

Um, you do. You totally, totally do. Ours, in fact.

Now, giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming your interest is sincere...

When FF7 PC was released, most home internet users were constrained by either 56k dial-up or low-volume broadband. Torrents weren't a common way to distribute files, so most people relied on "plain" downloads from single fileservers. Poor download times and high disconnection risks meant low filesizes were a priority.

Wild FFVII downloads did a few things to achieve this. They stripped movies, recompressed assets and sometimes applied executable patches to make the hobbled game function as normal. There's really no knowing what a particular version of a download is like, though most seem to be recirculations of the same popular Ultima mod.

I don't know much about the Ultima mod. I've seen screenshots which suggest it has its own installer, but that's about it. I must admit, it *is* tempting to download a copy and do a diff on the exe - but it wouldn't be appropriate given my position, and it's not as if I could recognize the changes by just staring at the binary anyway.

I think Halkun might have posted some stuff on what the old downloads did to minimize filesizes, but search isn't bringing anything up for me, so you might have to do some digging.

sithlord48

• No life
  • Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #17 on: 2011-08-10 19:29:53 »
The closest thing to it that i can produce to show i have the normal version is maybe a screenshot or w/e of the Eidos/Squaresoft screen of when the game starts.
im just wondering how this would remove any* doubt?

*added in edit.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-10 19:38:56 by sithlord48 »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-08-10 19:32:42 »
There's no way it would...

Jaitsu

• No life
  • DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #19 on: 2011-08-10 19:39:15 »
first off, i haven't been "dodging" anything. I just don't have anything to upload a photo of it to my computer with right now. The closest thing to it that i can produce to show i have the normal version is maybe a screenshot or w/e of the Eidos/Squaresoft screen of when the game starts.  Also i don't recall asking for your two cents. I don't need anyone's permission, least of all your's, to post a hypothetical question where and when i want

" i don't recall asking for your two cents" and "I don't need anyone's permission, least of all your's, to post a hypothetical question where and when i want"

contradiction, thy name is MrSinister.

obesebear

• Administrator
  • No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011-08-11 01:41:48 »
Here's the deal.  It used to be that if you downloaded the game or were even suspected of downloading it, you were banned.  No questions asked.   You should be happy you're even allowed on this forum.  Please do not forget, use of qhimm.com is a privilege not a right.

MrSinister

• Pirate
  • Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011-08-23 01:16:52 »
im just wondering how this would remove any* doubt?

*added in edit.
i take it you didn't bother to read the part where i posted "the closest thing i can produce". Did i post it was going to remove doubt? No
contradiction, thy name is MrSinister.
do yourself a favor and look up words like 'contradiction' first before throwing it at someone
Here's the deal.  It used to be that if you downloaded the game or were even suspected of downloading it, you were banned.  No questions asked.   You should be happy you're even allowed on this forum.  Please do not forget, use of qhimm.com is a privilege not a right.
I'm saying that it's totally unfair that ppl can slap some label on someone and they can't make their own case w/o someone taking it upon themselves to do something like this and not bother getting the other person's version. I don't have anything that uploads photos because i don't care enough to photograph stuff on a whim and pay up to w/e amount of money on something i'm only going to use once