Author Topic: New Members Rush? Random Names?  (Read 5351 times)

whitERaven

• Insane poster
  • when the Raven turns white..
    • View Profile
New Members Rush? Random Names?
« on: 2012-12-07 01:43:06 »
Is it only me or are we having a lot of new members lately? :? :?

I'm not a veteran here (not yet a year since I joined) but somehow I find it unusual to see a lot of online members now. A few moths ago the number of online members would only rise at certain times, now every time I log in the list of online members are unusually long.

Plus most of the new members have names that are somewhat made by randomly typing at the keyboard.

I wonder what could have caused the sudden rush of this new members who joined the forum all of the sudden without even thinking of proper usernames.

Vehek

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
Re: New Members Rush? Random Names?
« Reply #1 on: 2012-12-07 02:27:53 »
At a glance down the members list, a lot of those new guys have webpages with suspicious-looking addresses. I'm guessing they're spammers/spambots.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • No life
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2012-12-07 02:55:34 »
I appear to be online all the time, but that's because I have a tendency to walk away from the keyboard without closing anything out. I have no idea if the forums would show me idle or not.

mystery_editor

• Cool newbie
  • Mmm... Pi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-12-07 03:33:33 »
As much as the re-release would be bringing new faces along (myself included), I'm thinking spambots mostly...

whitERaven

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-12-07 04:59:20 »
Ah.. yes the re-release might have triggered peoples interest in ff7 again.

But for those accounts with random usernames..
Spambots is most likely..  :-\
Theres a lack of other info in there profile (though this is not enough for a conclusion), also checking there activity, all they do is just log in, and nothing more..

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • No life
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-12-07 12:40:22 »
Spambots confirmed. Over 200. Disposable addresses, suspicious-looking websites, etc. Not so long ago I sent a PM to some mods about it, and it grew back to one week before they began registering. It had kept growing since then. This doesn't mean any good.

I am 99,9% sure all of them are spambots. DLPB spotted them as well. I find it quite annoying. They often appear to login, see their profiles, post in General Discussion (although no new thread is made), that's all. It all gets annoying. I'd delete them but I obviously can't. Unless Sl gives me (or any other people for that matter) some sort of access where we can delete but he needs to approve after, like that. But I'm getting off the road here.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • No life
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-12-07 18:43:30 »
We are looking into spam prevention measures to keep them from registering. Even if they don't post, this kind of new registration can't be good for our database size; I dunno how much space Qhimm gets, but I'm sure he doesn't want it to go way overboard with non-contributors.

Jasong2004

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-12-07 21:51:43 »
I forgot if it's a requirement for registration but confirmation emails?  Another thought is perhaps set it up so that a person can register but a moderator needs to give permission to a new member through PM before they can post.  What mod's have time for that?  I dunno.  How many REAL people register daily?  My guess is not many.

Edit: Oh hell!  I just looked at the list.  That's insane!  Since a great deal of the bot's seem to register so quickly how about registration being limited to a unique invite system...  Not sure how the implementation would go but it's a thought.
« Last Edit: 2012-12-07 22:10:21 by Jasong2004 »

Masamune

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-12-07 23:07:25 »
Seems like this isn't the only place with the spambot problem.

http://wololo.net/2012/12/06/the-battle-against-spammers/

whitERaven

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-12-08 00:37:34 »
there are a lot of ways to prevent spambots though I'm not sure if it is really possible to keep a forum spambot free.. anyway the number of we're dealing is quite high and is increasing, but I'm glad to know the higher ups are doing something about this, hope we ca get rid of this spambots they are quite annoying.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • No life
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-12-08 10:24:20 »
I have implemented some anti-spam measures, we shall see how well they work.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012-12-08 11:22:05 »
Added a few more and got rid of all those accounts with no posts. Sorry for anyone that may have been caught in the crossfire, just make a new account and post something.

whitERaven

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012-12-08 11:40:21 »
We might need to observe for a couple of days to be sure it worked.. but for now it seems to be working well.. ;D ;D ;D

sl1982

• Administrator
  • No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012-12-08 12:43:03 »
So it seems to be letting a few through still, but not nearly as bad.