Author Topic: Need help with FFVII Re-translation Comparison Script  (Read 266 times)

PrincessMJ

• View Profile
When I heard there was a fan-based re-translation made for FFVII, I wanted to play it to see what differences there were when compared to the original game.  I am working on getting my 1998 PC game installed and modded with the Reunion Package. Until I am able to do that, I have been watching two different video playthroughs of the Beacause Re-translation, while re-playing FFVII on my PS 3. Since many of the translation changes are minor, I really couldn't tell a big difference. I then decided to do a line by line comparison script for myself that I can read. Now I am appreciating the subtle and more major changes more when I can look at the original and re-translated lines side by side. I am enjoying this personal project immensely.

My problem is that the two video playthroughs with the Beacause modded script have differences. The changes are probably a result of the players using different versions of the Beacause Script. I was hoping someone could tell me which script is the latest version, based on the following differences:

In one video playthrough, sectors are now districts. Phoenix Downs are Phoenix Tails. However, the materia names haven't changed. Fire is still Fire. Ice is still Ice. In the other playthrough, sectors are still sectors. However, the Fire and Ice materias are now called Flame and Cold respectively.

Can anyone tell me which playthrough is the latest version? I felt like the change from sectors to districts came from one of the later versions. I just thought Flame and Cold were considered the better translations for the materia. So, I can't figure out why the first playthrough didn't have both changes.

I found a link for the Reunion Package patch on this site. How do I know if I am downloading the latest version?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 2019-03-24 22:07:13 by PrincessMJ »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • No life
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with FFVII Re-translation Comparison Script
« Reply #1 on: 2019-03-24 22:11:26 »
You can't necessarily tell by item/magic/character names what version is being used, because the installer has multiple options, to allow users a choice between more accurate translations and "canon" translations as seen in later games (such as Firaga).

If the videos don't say in the descriptions what versions they're using, you might be able to estimate based on upload dates. However, keep in mind, a new version is on the horizon(-ish) that will make more changes to the script In particular, there are substantial changes to Red XIII's dialogue based on a change in his style of speech at and after Cosmo Canyon, where he stops putting on airs and takes on a more youthful way of talking. This is something both the official translation and earlier versions of the retranslation missed.

DLPB

• No life
  • For I realized that God's a young man, too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-03-25 00:20:57 »
Beacause actually uses Firaga etc - since not only is this "canon"  - it's also what the Japanese is. There's no option to change that.

Only a few things are changed using the canon option - those things that have always gone against the Japanese names but are still incorrect (like Phoenix Down).

The default without any options are on The Reunion Database.

In full the changes in realtime are:

>

text
[R][S+][W-]

oguri>oogle This changes Moguri to Moogle
High Potion>Hi-Potion
Last Elixir>Megalixir
Phoenix Tail>Phoenix Down

[W+]

(mogu)
healthy moogle>healthy moogles
Male moogle>Male moogles

()
Ramu>Ramuh

text
[R][S+][W-]

()
Zax>Zack
Z…ax>Z…ack
L-Leno>R-Reno
Leno>Reno
Yrena>Elena
Yre…>Ele…
Gusto>Gast
Elmina>Elmyra
Zeng>Tseng
Mina>Myrna
Sierra>Shera
Godot>Godo
Marin>Marlene

Crean>Chole
Grean>Choco Bill
Greene>Choco Billy

[9:10] (frcyo)
Choco Billy>Billy
Choco Bill>Bill
[0:0]

(fship_5)
Choco Billy>Bill
Choco Bill>Billy

(fship_12)
Mariiin>Marleeene
(mds6_22)
MARIIIIIN>MARLEEEENE

(0_ff7.exe)
Barrett>Barret

Nibl>Nibel
Midhir>Mideel

)junon( When map name is not junon
District>Sector
district>sector
« Last Edit: 2019-03-25 00:25:26 by DLPB »

PrincessMJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-03-25 12:45:47 »
Thank you for your replies. The players didn't mention which versions they were using. The first playthrough I mentioned was uploaded more recently. That is why I thought it was the latest version that I could have at this time. However, when I saw the Fire and Ice materias, I began to doubt that assumption. I am glad to hear that there is another version coming out. I will certainly be looking out for its release. Red Lion's new dialogue sounds fantastic.

What is the latest version? Is it R05c?

I just want to thank everyone involved in this re-translation project. It is wonderful to understand certain sections of the game that previously didn't make sense.
« Last Edit: 2019-03-25 23:28:07 by PrincessMJ »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-03-25 14:23:07 »
It is - but it's outdated and R06 has a ton of improvements. R07 will be the finalized translation.

PrincessMJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-03-25 20:17:56 »
Thanks for your reply. I just have one more question. Do you have an estimation of when you will be releasing R06 and R07?
« Last Edit: 2019-03-25 20:20:04 by PrincessMJ »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-03-25 23:07:51 »
Nope.  Too difficult to say but huge strides are being made by myself, Maki, and Charlie Beer.