Author Topic: FFVIII Remastered  (Read 1116 times)

Terid__K

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
Re: FFVIII Remastered
« Reply #25 on: 2019-06-15 14:34:49 »
Cerberus is a massive improvement, holy crap. The textures are still a bit low-res, but it's probably on purpose so it doesn't clash too badly with all the other stuff they left untouched.

I'm hoping they touched up every monster in the game, but I'm expecting only GFs and maybe bosses.

Fendera

• Fast newbie
  • Your friendly neighbor :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2019-06-15 15:37:05 »
I'm really excited for the remaster, but Squalls face does not represent the original art. We'll see.

Manakaiser

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2019-06-15 15:50:12 »
Agreeed squalls new model is absolutely terrible. He looks like a clichee anime protagonist and way too clean/friendly/boyish, dunno hard to explain.

Terid__K

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2019-06-16 18:32:26 »

Just noticed this awful texture mapping on Irvine's gun. Just look at that barrel, the texture isn't even close to being properly aligned. I guess this shows it's still a work in progress (and hopefully not something they screwed up, but I wouldn't be surprised).

Manakaiser

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2019-06-16 18:47:05 »
the more I look at those models in closeup the more I realise how small of an improvement they are over the original (in terms of model quality, to be honest in terms of design they might actually be a downgrade, everything looks too smooth/friendly/animey, again having a hard time figuring out how to put it:P).... this borders being called a slightly improved port as opposed to "remaster". Its weird becasue the first time I saw the trailer I though the improvement on the models was pretty decent but I guess it was just not having played in a long time combined with slight hypetinted glasses.

DLPB

• No life
  • For I realized that God's a young man, too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2019-06-16 19:43:53 »
They're not faithful, Makakaiser.  What you're seeing is that the changes move away from how the characters actually look (in the FMV for example).  As you say, too clean, too smooth, too friendly.

It's not enough to improve something graphically.  It has to fit in with the original style and it has to be faithful to the original character.  That Squall one is abysmal.

Kaldarasha

• No life
  • Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2019-06-16 19:48:54 »
But better as in the Secret of Mana 2 Remake.

LeonhartGR

• No life
  • ~Whatever...~ Finally married to my "Rinoa"!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 22:32:39 »

The most accurate model imo