Author Topic: Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days - model hacking.  (Read 6272 times)

TyDoMaster

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days - model hacking.
« on: 2010-09-21 17:20:22 »
Hey everybody, I'm looking do do a mod on kingdom hearts.

My first attempt will be simple: change Sora's look to his KHII look.

The only thing I don't get (and I have searched everywhere) is how to open those .P2 files and the KAPH files inside them.
Can anyone give me some help?

Thanks

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Re: Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days - model hacking.
« Reply #1 on: 2010-09-21 18:23:35 »
I don't think we're supposed to support model formats here or something for whatever reason, I'm not sure really why.
Anyways, all I know is that the model files are in the DS standard model format (NDS?) but have custom bone opcodes. I'm sure if you research enough you'll find some images out there and maybe some other information.

Hope that's enough to make a start!

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 2010-09-22 03:46:51 »
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8759.0

I might be wrong, but the linked thread applies to this, yes?

Chev

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-09-25 18:05:51 »
The only thing I don't get (and I have searched everywhere) is how to open those .P2 files and the KAPH files inside them.
Can anyone give me some help?

It's been a while, but what I remember:

KAPH's a simple archive format, ie several files glued together with a header. Dunno the whole of the header's contents, but then again, you don't need the whole of the header's contents, just the subfiles' offsets. so right after the "KAPH" in the file, jump 40 bytes, then read 4 bytes for a UINT32 offset to the beginning of the first file, then skip 8 bytes and read the second offset, and so on. If the offest you just read equals 0 you're at the end of the offset list. Offest are relative to the beginning of the archive file, ie the beginning of "KAPH". The files are identified by the first four bytes, the model's BMD0. From then on it looks like a normal DS model file, though there are oddities in the skeleton.

P2 files are irrelevant, the character models are in the /mi/ch folder, the .z files. Those are compressed KAPH files, you'll need DSDecmp or something similar to decompress the .z files into .kaph files.

Modding a model would be real tricky though, unless someone's written a program that can output DS models already, because of the way DS model geometry is stored as GPU opcodes rather than lists of vertices/faces.