Author Topic: Quick question about spells that use models (ie. Matra Magic)  (Read 7215 times)

Roxas

• View Profile
    • ReBoot Revival
So I'm working on this n' that, and in reviewing the models (working on Sweepers atm), I began to wonder if I could improve the look of some of the spells, mostly Matra Magic. I assume the missile model is in the game somewhere, but I've yet to come across it.

Is it in the battle.lgp, if not where would it be...magic.lgp?
« Last Edit: 2011-03-11 14:33:58 by Roxas »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
It sure is.

Roxas

• View Profile
    • ReBoot Revival
Hm, alright I'm digging around in the archive. Was a list compiled for these, like the one for the battle/field models?

*edit* Duh... there we go "matra.p". I had been looking in the "ff7" folder within the archive.

*edit2* So, should I modify both the .p and .rsd files or just one of those? Never fiddled around with these, only battle models.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-11 15:32:37 by Roxas »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I couldnt tell you. I dont play around with the models.

obesebear

• View Profile
The rsd file is where you decide what and how many textures should be associated with the p file

Roxas

• View Profile
    • ReBoot Revival
Hm, yes I was reading over: http://wiki.qhimm.com/PSX/RSD actually.

Modified the original:

Code: [Select]
@RSD940102
# created by Meditor on Mon Aug 26 16:11:02 1996
PLY=MATRA.PLY
MAT=MATRA.MAT
GRP=MATRA.GRP
# Number of TIM (Texture) Files
NTEX=0

to:

@RSD940102
# created by Meditor on Mon Aug 26 16:11:02 1996
PLY=MATRA.PLY
MAT=MATRA.MAT
GRP=MATRA.GRP
NTEX=1
TEX[0]=MATRA_2.TEX
TEX[1]=MATRA_1.TEX

But nothing.... also there's no hrc file with this or almost any other magic (besides death lv 5). I noticed the existing texture appears to be puffs of smoke, so given that, I figure that is the texture for what shows near the end of the attack.

Gonna try fiddling around some more....

*edit*

Tried changing the texture ID to 1 in PCreator, and modified the rsd to reflect that.... still seeing a blank model.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-11 16:53:51 by Roxas »

obesebear

• View Profile
matra.p is likely the model for the actual missile.  If not you'll have to keep searching through the files.  I know when I helped Kela51 on his ice textures all they were split up into different places.  Some in the FF7 folder, some not. 

Roxas

• View Profile
    • ReBoot Revival
Hm, I did the whole 3ds->PCreator (set as field, load texture, etc)->new .p file. Opened in Kimera, and...... yeah, not too sure what's going on. Guess this will take more time to learn  :-\

Roxas

• View Profile
    • ReBoot Revival
(Been over 24hrs... not trying to 'bump' the topic but I'm stumped)

Still no luck thus far..... Although I had an idea. If I were to place the texture for it in "C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\textures\Spells", if properly named... would that work?

*edit* Well either that isn't going to work or my thought to place it in a folder titled 'matra' and have a png called "matra_1_00.png" isn't the right thing to do.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-13 12:23:45 by Roxas »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Dont use the textures folder at all. It will not help with this type of mod. Your best bet is to use direct mode and put the files in there. And dont bump your topics. There is an edit button for a reason.

Roxas

• View Profile
    • ReBoot Revival
Alright, noted. Did a test, they look quite funny untextured and since it was just a test, I didn't resize them, so large blank missile looking objects flying around... amusing to me for whatever reason. Gotta do some more fiddling around I suppose, since there doesn't appear to be any 'guide' to this particular modification.

Ok, won't do so in the future. Been hanging around here long enough, yet I don't recall if it's noted in the rules, but I know some boards have a 24hr rule, others don't, etc....

obesebear

• View Profile
I created a new model for Comet with a texture and also kept the original dice model but gave it a new texture, so it is possible to do what you're trying to do. 

What you'll want to do is open matra.p in Biturn and convert it to a 3ds file and name it matra.3ds.  Open that in your favorite 3d program and UV map it to whatever picture it is you want. Then save it.  Take the 24bit bmp file you just used to map the UVs to and use Image2Tex to convert it to a .tex file.  Name it matra.tex.

Change matra.rsd to look like this
PLY=MATRA.PLY
MAT=MATRA.MAT
GRP=MATRA.GRP
NTEX=1
TEX[0]=MATRA.TIM

Boot up PCreator, under options check battle model and texture files.  Open matra.3ds.  In the drop down box select "matra" so it will appear red in the viewing window.  Select File > Open Bitmap and select any bmp image you want (it wont change what is used in game).  Then go to View > UV Coords > and check Flip Y.  Now save everything as Matra.p

Put your new matra.p and matra.tex file back with the rest of your extracted magic.lgp exactly where you found the originals and recompile it with LGP.  Put your new lgp back into your FF7 data battle folder.

Boot up your game and attack using Matra Magic.  Tada!   If it still doesn't work, send it to me and I'll do it for you.  ( I really hope you have a new missile model though... or that you have one badass texture ;-) )

(The current versions of Kimera will never show you what a textured p file will look like in game.  The reason is that when you open just a p file Kimera isn't looking at the rsd or hrc, it's only looking at the geometry of the p file itself.  In order to make Comet and Dice look like that it took a lot of adjusting then recompiling and checking in game to see if it looked correct)
« Last Edit: 2011-03-16 13:43:53 by obesebear »

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
I created a new model for Comet with a texture and also kept the original dice model but gave it a new texture, so it is possible to do what you're trying to do. 

What you'll want to do is open matra.p in Biturn and convert it to a 3ds file and name it matra.3ds.  Open that in your favorite 3d program and UV map it to whatever picture it is you want. Then save it.  Take the 24bit bmp file you just used to map the UVs to and use Image2Tex to convert it to a .tex file.  Name it matra.tex.

Change matra.rsd to look like this
PLY=MATRA.PLY
MAT=MATRA.MAT
GRP=MATRA.GRP
NTEX=1
TEX[0]=MATRA.TIM

Boot up PCreator, under options check battle model and texture files.  Open matra.3ds.  In the drop down box select "matra" so it will appear red in the viewing window.  Select File > Open Bitmap and select any bmp image you want (it wont change what is used in game).  Then go to View > UV Coords > and check Flip Y.  Now save everything as Matra.p

Put your new matra.p and matra.tex file back with the rest of your extracted magic.lgp exactly where you found the originals and recompile it with LGP.  Put your new lgp back into your FF7 data battle folder.

Boot up your game and attack using Matra Magic.  Tada!   If it still doesn't work, send it to me and I'll do it for you.  ( I really hope you have a new missile model though... or that you have one badass texture ;-) )

(The current versions of Kimera will never show you what a textured p file will look like in game.  The reason is that when you open just a p file Kimera isn't looking at the rsd or hrc, it's only looking at the geometry of the p file itself.  In order to make Comet and Dice look like that it took a lot of adjusting then recompiling and checking in game to see if it looked correct)

that Comet model is kinda WOW!
« Last Edit: 2011-03-15 17:11:58 by obesebear »

Roxas

• View Profile
    • ReBoot Revival

Awesome, thanks for the guide, obesebear. I'll try my luck with it when I have some free-time today. :)

*edit* And it works!

I'd provide screencaps, but the content might cause some trouble... although I've noticed a few screencaps post as of late with this content, I also saw a request by a mod to try and not post screens with these models in them.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-14 17:15:13 by Roxas »

Cazador

• View Profile
that comet model looks awesome!  ;D

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
I also saw a request by a mod to try and not post screens with these models in them.
yeah I'm still pretty new and I've already seen way too many requests by the newer members asking where to find illegal models. Pretty much every time I see them posted up. Honestly I don't understand it, I mean I am pretty sure most people found this website using a search engine. Anyway I'm not very good with the modeling in game yet but I've been doing a little practicing. Although my main project is taking up most of my free time, I'd be willing to help with converting the models for in game use since I know it can be quite a tedious task to do alone. I have everything I'd need so don't hesitate to ask.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-15 13:35:43 by yarLson »