Author Topic: FF8, polished?  (Read 4649 times)

Silent Warrior

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
FF8, polished?
« on: 2011-12-03 18:48:46 »
:evil:
Eh... Well, if you'd known me on Eyes on FF, you might have noticed that my relationship to the original text in FF8 (PC, at any rate) isn't the best. With the version of Garden some Polish group prepared, I've been monkeying around with the text, touching up dubious translations, making some of the ubiquitous 'Whatever' something that makes more sense in the context, making Irvine seem like he actually has common sense somewhere (guess who my not-entirely-favourite characters were)... Well. Lots of little changes that don't really affect the plot itself - I think the biggest reworking I've done so far is changing Squall's reaction to hearing about Cid + Edea from NORG - as well as renaming Guardian Machine Ellone to The Ellone Junction.
You may also recall that I'm doing something quite like it for FF7? (... Yeah, as if.) Anyway. :D

(I also considered sticking in an endearing reference to FF7 by having Squall say 'This guy are sick' about Irvine during the concert. - fhedge11, for future reference*)

I think I've been doing this on and off basically since soon after the announcement from the Polish project (FF8-PL?), but it seems I had to start over this August, or something. Now, I AM committed to finishing this, and making good progress (about half-way through, it seems - cleared the ending, Balamb, Dollet, Esthar, now knee-deep in Fisherman's Horizon**), but I'd sort of like to know if anyone's interested in this, other than myself. I.e. should I bother to find a way to publish it?

I would like suggestions for 'Guardian Machine Ellone'/Junction Machine Ellone/The Ellone Junction, if you can think of a better name for it.

Today's curio: Did you know that... there are more than half a dozen alternate text blurbs for when you examine the door before fighting Ultimecia? Din't believe my eyes, ya! Neverending 'Let's end this!/W-wait a minute!'!

* Let me know if you want a customized version - easy enough to do, and I don't think the actual modified content is a particularly large payload.

** HOLY MOLY! LOOOOOOOOOOOADS of screens/areas! Might even be bigger than Esthar.

Silent Warrior

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
Re: FF8, polished?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-12-29 17:51:15 »
... Wow, aren't you lot interested in this! :)

Anyway, I've taken one pass through this now, looked at every file containing text entries, and I have a .torrent (Vuze) for the first public outing. Consider it an RC at best, though I have yet to test it myself. I tried an earlier working copy, though, and had no problem for the short duration I played.
So, uh... How do I distribute it?

Vuze users can try searching for: FF8 Rephrase R1.7z

Prince Lex

• Freak
  • Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-01-04 03:24:03 »
Are you talking about retranslating dubious lines from the original Japanese or changing the English text?

Silent Warrior

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-01-04 03:38:17 »
Of those two: Changing the English text. Whether I end up closer to the original is anyone's guess, as I neither speak Japanese, nor have access to the original Japanese text.
This is more of a public beta than a finished product at present, as I have yet to try it out in-game. (I meant to rush through FF7 one last time first.) There may be a revision. I'm open to suggestions, if people feel my alterations aren't for the better in places.

Prince Lex

• Freak
  • Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-01-04 03:51:28 »
I've thought about doing the same thing to both games for personal enjoyment (by which I mean, so the game is more enjoyable, it's not like I'd find crawling through duplicate lines of text fun) but I'd rather have a retranslation.

I support what you're doing though. I'm just really interested to know whether or not the Japanese version had any more references to Laguna being Squall's father, considering it was about 5 years after playing the game that I realised this.

Silent Warrior

• Cool newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-01-04 04:17:55 »
No worries.

I've just set up a Mediafire-account - expect an update in my release announcement soon. Or however long it takes to dump the file there...