Author Topic: Multiple Monitor Setup Question--Choosing a Default Monitor for Specific Program  (Read 2149 times)

Skopin

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
Hey everyone,

I have been playing FF7 on my PC for a while now, utilizing all of the amazing mods here on the site (Thank you to everyone who helped with those; they are amazing!). Anyway, I have a dual monitor setup: I have my main 17" PC monitor, and I also have my 42" TV as my secondary, which I like to use for media/games.

My issue is this: Final Fantasy 7, along with many other programs, opens by default on monitor 1. Obviously, I want to play on monitor 2, which is my TV. I have made monitor 2 my default in order to "band-aid" this, so it opens on there, but several other programs open by default on there as well, making it a bit of a hassle when I'm just watching regular TV (I have to switch inputs over to PC, and drag the program back to monitor 1 every time).

The question is: is there a way that I can choose which monitor a program opens on by default? Ideally, I want to set my PC monitor back to the default, and just have FF7 open on monitor 2. I would also like to keep it as opening fullscreen, rather than setting it to windowed mode and dragging it to monitor 2.

I've done a lot of searching, and so far have found nothing that will set a program's default monitor. I don't know if I'm just not searching the right terms, or what. I have found the topic on other forums, but nothing as far as a resolution.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Edit: I am using Windows 7 Ultimate x64, if that helps.
« Last Edit: 2011-12-17 22:52:53 by Skopin »

Aali

• No life
    • View Profile
If you're using the custom driver for FF7 you can use the window_pos_x and window_pos_y configuration options to move the window at startup (works in fullscreen mode aswell).

Skopin

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
Thanks! Would I just add those to the opengl config file? As of right now, all that's in there are the window_size_x and window_size_y.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • No life
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Yes you can just add them in.

Skopin

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
So I tried adding those lines, and no matter what I set the values to, it didn't help. I even tried setting it to windowed mode just to test where it would open, and it seems random as to the screen position that it opens on, even if I don't change the values. The only constant is that it's always on monitor 1.

UGerstl

• Insane poster
  • Backup Manager
    • View Profile
Hi Skopin,

you should try this software: Actual Multiple Monitors

« Last Edit: 2012-03-07 01:22:11 by UGerstl »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Global moderator
  • No life
  • I'm not your babysitter.
    • View Profile
I've had good luck with UltraMon. I can't remember for sure, but I'm ALMOST positive it lets you choose starting monitor for apps. If nothing else, it creates a keyboard shortcut for switching monitors at any time.