Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Re:Sampled - High Resolution Pre-Rendered Backgrounds (v2.0)  (Read 8111 times)

yarLson

• Freak
  • King of the Spoilers
    • View Profile
I compressed the png's using the most extreme settings on PNGout so they are not getting any smaller.  As for the comparisons.  Yeah, they might seem a bit sharper but in reality that sharpness is just an illusion made by photoshop with its sharpening tools.  In the end, I arrived where I did because I achieved a ratio of least distortion vs least blur.  Over sharpening just creates visual artifacts. 

Considering the scope of this project trying to use per scene editing would be impossibly inefficient and the gains would be minimal at best.  So yeah Omzy's pack might look better in some scenes and mine in others.  But my over all goal was reached and most of the fixable bugs (because lighting is not fixable right now) have been worked out by hand.  Anything than can be fixed in the future will be, but for the most part this project is complete.  I hope you enjoy it.

SegataSanshiro

• View Profile
Hi there,

This mod looks amazing, it's pretty much exactly what I want because I feel that the pre-rendered backgrounds are the part of the game which has aged worst (just a shame they lost the hi-res originals).

I'm a bit of a noob at this whole modding thing, so had a question: why is it necessary to install a new graphics driver to run this mod?

I'm running upgraded character models just fine through the Steam version and was wondering why I can't just drag and drop files with this one too so I don't lose achievements and cloud saves. I understand there's probably technical reasons, but was wondering if it would even be possible to do with a few workarounds.

Kaldarasha

• No life
  • Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
The game expects an exact size of the textures for the background to cut it properly. DotEmu didn't implement an external texture path when they have made the directx9 driver. It might be possible to use hashcodes but that's not an easy workaround, if you have followed ff8 moding lately.

SegataSanshiro

• View Profile
Ok, that makes sense. I guess I'm just coming to terms with the fact that I blew money on something which has no real improvement to its predecessors. I was expecting for the backgrounds to look like the ones YarLson has made, but the only new things on there are lost if I want the game to look any better.

In any case, thanks for the work YarLson, they backgrounds look really great and I'll use them next time I play through the game :)

quequotion

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
Just checking, but are these textures subject to the same problem with (8-bit palleted? or was it pallet animated?) textures as FacePalmer's?