Author Topic: [FF8PC-2000/Steam] Roses and Wine (W07)  (Read 500406 times)

DLPB

• No life
  • The ascension of the ordinary man
    • View Profile
Re: [FF8PC-2000/Steam] Roses and Wine (W06 Final)
« Reply #675 on: 2016-06-11 17:58:10 »
It will have been worse on W04.  The latest revision fades it out immediately.

peroxwhygenesis

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: 2016-06-12 01:47:12 »
Can I download the uncompressed .flac files for this music and the ff7 Anxious heart so I can enjoy their awesomeness on my x3ii? Really outstanding work, well done!

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: 2016-06-12 10:02:26 »
I don't have any of the original files left - they are all ogg now and you wouldnt really notice the difference anyway tbh.

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: 2016-06-12 14:52:44 »
music starts less than a half second lol) than previous versions of RaW? Is it done on purpose?

Yup.  In order to remove the annoying blips and blops - fading was required (it's the correct behaviour).  I am very surprised you noticed the very small delay - but it's necessary.  There is now proper fading between fields and to and from world map. The default fade out is 200ms but can vary depending on music.  You'll also notice fade-ins - like after a card game.

FatedCourage

• Insane poster
  • I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #679 on: 2016-06-13 08:17:45 »
Okay, I was able to find a bug. When you're preparing for the concert and picking instruments, after they're picked the victory music sounds off. But...it does it every time you pick one rather than at the end when you're done picking what you want.

I recorded it to show what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxCOtBARLUQ

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: 2016-06-13 08:22:18 »
That's a bug with with the actual ff8 port ;)  The victory instruction is used after every instrument - I have no idea why.  Bad port?  I spotted it during testing.  Question is - does it do it with the midi in original game?  If not - it's handling music differently there.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-13 08:24:00 by DLPB »

FatedCourage

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #681 on: 2016-06-13 08:28:22 »
That's a bug with with the actual ff8 port ;)  The victory instruction is used after every instrument - I have no idea why.  Bad port?  I spotted it during testing.  Question is - does it do it with the midi in original game?  If not - it's handling music differently there.

Ah... Okay. This is why I should play in midi first before I open my mouth. :P ...If only I could bear it. It seemed like you had it fixed in earlier versions, I think. Either way...the amount of work and testing that went into this port...sure is something else. Thanks for letting me know.

Edit: Not sure if it does in midi. But I'll see.

Edit 2: I've tested it myself and looked at videos to confirm it... It doesn't play the victory theme after switching between instruments with midi.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-13 08:41:47 by FatedCourage »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: 2016-06-13 08:52:42 »
I may have to add yet another hacky hack in to stop it then.  But the victory theme ID is placed into mem.  You can see it if you press Ctrl-D in window mode - you'll see the ID at the top is 1.

FatedCourage

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #683 on: 2016-06-13 10:36:01 »
Figured I'd point it out and see if it could be fixed before you finalize everything. But, yeah... You're right. After every instrument, whether you're confirming or switching, it does show the victory fanfare should play. Not sure what the port team did to stop it from being heard.

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: 2016-06-13 10:55:46 »
If the PSX version does not play the victory theme, then it's not meant to.  Does the PSX version play it after each instrument?  If it does - then RaW is emulating it correctly.  If not - the original design team simply coded the game to ignore those commands during this section.  My money would be on the PSX playing the victory theme.  Although switching instrument does seem a little weird to play it - so maybe not.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-13 11:00:17 by DLPB »

FatedCourage

• Insane poster
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #685 on: 2016-06-13 11:05:46 »
I had checked the PSX version as well and it does not play the victory fanfare until all instruments are picked and ready to go. As does the midi version on PC.

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: 2016-06-13 11:08:06 »
OK - obviously the field code simply ignores normal music commands during this section.  That would be a bug for RaW even though it isn't a bug.  I shall fix it with next and very final release.  But gonna hold off on that for a few weeks until I am satisfied no other clangers remain.

Thanks for the report :)

[email protected]

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: 2016-06-13 11:46:24 »
« Last Edit: 2019-05-06 00:11:48 by Cicciolo »

zerole

• View Profile
« Reply #688 on: 2016-06-17 03:29:09 »
Delete.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-17 03:47:55 by zerole »

TheDrifter363

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: 2016-06-19 23:01:47 »
Hi DLPB,

I have a question, but first thanks for putting all the effort into fixing up the music for this game! I noticed that your executable contains two .dlls. The first is bass.dll, which I'm assuming is a custom dll, the other is ddraw.dll. This dll is a typical windows dll for older 2d games. Directdraw I believe.

So anyway, I'm using wine on linux and I noticed that music wouldn't play if I installed your software. However, if I put a manual override in wine for ddraw.dll to native, then it would work. I'm assuming wine was using its native ddraw instead of yours. So what are the functions of these two dlls, bass and ddraw?

Also I noticed you left some sgt files instead of using an .ogg file. Were you not able to find such music on the Final Fantasy VIII OST? I'm asking because I need to test out if I still need directmusic if I use your music replacement software. The less overrides I have to do in wine the better. Unfortunately, I do not know where those .sgt files are going to play in the game, so I can't test that out.

On another note, if anyone has a save file close to where those .sgt files play, that would be great. I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: 2016-06-20 00:40:57 »
All that is explained in the readme pretty much.  Bass plays the music - see the link in readme and credits.
Ddraw is a fake ddraw that links to the correct one and also contains MY code. It will work perfectly in windows since it's checking the system folder for the real ddraw and loading it.
The sgt files are there for the concert at Fisherman's Horizon which does not have any music ogg file and was left as midi. It is left as midi because it is too much hassle to program 4 instruments to play as ogg in sync.

Toastybuns

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: 2016-06-26 22:43:19 »
I'm having a problem using the application on windows 10. After clicking next initially, the window shrinks to half it's size and all I can do is read the license agreement and an not able to progress any further than this. Does anybody know what I could do to fix this?

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: 2016-06-26 22:48:31 »
I'm having a problem using the application on windows 10. After clicking next initially, the window shrinks to half it's size and all I can do is read the license agreement and an not able to progress any further than this. Does anybody know what I could do to fix this?

Usually dpi setting.  Change to 72 dpi.  See if that helps./

Toastybuns

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: 2016-06-26 23:01:40 »
Usually dpi setting.  Change to 72 dpi.  See if that helps./

That worked! Thanks a lot!

AlesiaMaxima

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: 2016-07-03 06:55:54 »
Hello! New user to the site account wise but I've been using Rose and Wine for a while now :)
I love it but I recently just encountered an issue and no matter what I do I cannot seem to find a solution anywhere!

I recently lost all the data on my computer and have been re-installing my game/mods for FF8. I've never has any issue before and it's always worked flawlessly up until now. no matter what I do or where I place the files I get nothing but Midi Music.

I've tried downloading the torrent. Installing both the 2000 and 2013 version to my desktop and to my steam folder. I've tried just in the FF8 folder, I've tried adding music to the folders in FF8. I have tried everything I can think of and I've run out of ideas. I've also tried the rar files that where listed on a steam forum (Those where the ones I had used before which always worked) and that's not working either.

I'm using windows 10, Also using Tonberry and all of the shiny visual and fix mods but I dont think that's whats causing the issue?

It use to just install on my desktop and BAM, beautiful music but now no matter what I do...  :cry:
Any advice would be so amazing. I love FF8 and I really want to play through again... but I cant with these horrible midis.

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: 2016-07-03 16:09:06 »
You shouldn't be placing any files.  The installer does everything for you.  You just navigate to the main folder and install.  If this isn't working, it's likely not the fault of Roses and Wine.

AlesiaMaxima

• View Profile
« Reply #696 on: 2016-07-04 01:24:08 »
Yeah I've installed the files and it places them on my desktop (like it use to when it worked a few months ago for me). Started up the game on steam and still nothing but Midi's. I closed it, deleted it and tried re-installing it and the launcher bugged? It just kept opening version of the launcher that had an odd icon (looked like an odd triangle?) until I had to close my computer and delete it again.

Nothing I do is working and I'm really depressed. This use to always just work for me, no issue. I can't play the game in the condition it is with the horrible Midis

Das_Oni

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: 2016-07-04 05:23:55 »
Yeah I've installed the files and it places them on my desktop (like it use to when it worked a few months ago for me). Started up the game on steam and still nothing but Midi's. I closed it, deleted it and tried re-installing it and the launcher bugged? It just kept opening version of the launcher that had an odd icon (looked like an odd triangle?) until I had to close my computer and delete it again.

Nothing I do is working and I'm really depressed. This use to always just work for me, no issue. I can't play the game in the condition it is with the horrible Midis
It places the files on your desktop. That's the reason why. You have to choose the right installation directory. The files have to be at the ff8 directory. then you have to start the new launcher exe from roseses and wine to load the right files.

Gesendet von meinem OnePlus One und Tapatalk

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: 2016-07-04 05:28:49 »
There isn't a "new launcher".  Roses and Wine does not use a launcher anymore. Read the help file and the release notes!

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: 2016-07-04 05:30:46 »
Actually, I don't think AlesiaMaxima is even using the latest installer from the main page - because it WILL NOT INSTALL if it doesn't find the executable.  Download the latest version.