Author Topic: [FF8PC-2000/Steam] Roses and Wine (W07)  (Read 428076 times)

LeonhartGR

• No life
  • ~Whatever...~ Finally married to my "Rinoa"!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Re: [FF8PC-2000/Steam] Roses and Wine (W07)
« Reply #875 on: 2018-10-13 02:04:42 »
Thanks mate! Due to this mod, I guess I'm gonna dig into my old backups again and look through my translation.

SRiva7

• View Profile
« Reply #876 on: 2018-12-14 14:38:48 »
Hi all, I need a solution for this if you can help me.

The thing is that I want to add other music versions of my collection of final fantasy music, so I want to add new external music, how can I do this?

I see that the only two options is or 2000 music or 2013 steam music, but how can I add my own music to the game? I really need a tutorial for newbies, I can't find a tutorial for this.

Thank you so much.

j.biscuit

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: 2018-12-26 03:28:48 »
Bug: "060 Junction.ogg" does not play after you wake up in the train from the first Laguna dream sequence, instead you get silence. It should play at the moment in which Squall, Zell and Selphie all realize they've shared the same dream.

Using Steam and RaW latest versions. Tested twice, reloaded the game to be sure.

j.biscuit

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: 2018-12-26 14:09:40 »
The thing is that I want to add other music versions of my collection of final fantasy music, so I want to add new external music, how can I do this?

Download and install Audacity.
Use it to open an audio file that you wish to use in game.
Using the cursor, select the position in the file which you want the track to loop from. (It will play to the end and loop back to the position you select, so make sure the end of the track is edited appropriately.)
Once selected, under 'Start and End of Selection' at the bottom, change the first drop down box to 'samples' instead of 'hh:mm:ss'. Make a note of the number displayed.
Go to File -> Export -> Export as OGG...
Save the file into the RaW\CUSTOM\Test1\Music folder. For example:
'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\RaW\CUSTOM\Test1\Music'.
Give it the same name as the track you want to replace. For example I replaced '013 Force Your Way.ogg'. (You'll find all the track names in RaW\GLOBAL\Music.)
Finally, when prompted to edit the metadata information, add a new field at the bottom and call it LOOPSTART. Give it the value you recorded earlier.
Save and you're done. Just run the game.

DLPB

• No life
  • For I realized that God's a young man, too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: 2018-12-26 17:31:12 »
Bug: "060 Junction.ogg" does not play after you wake up in the train from the first Laguna dream sequence, instead you get silence. It should play at the moment in which Squall, Zell and Selphie all realize they've shared the same dream.

Using Steam and RaW latest versions. Tested twice, reloaded the game to be sure.

Have you got a Save there?

j.biscuit

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: 2018-12-26 17:41:09 »
Have you got a Save there?
Yep, how shall I send it to you?

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: 2018-12-26 23:25:58 »
Any way.  Google drive etc. :)

j.biscuit

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: 2018-12-26 23:43:49 »
Any way.  Google drive etc. :)
Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6c262zsf0pp83qn/ff8_save_RaW_music.zip?dl=0

So in there's the save file right before that point in the game and the only audio file which I've added into the custom test music folder.

Game/system info: Windows 10, i5-2500k, 8GB RAM, GTX760, Creative X-Fi sound card, no other mods installed in FF8. Audio selection was DLPB's (your) selection during installation. No changes made to any game or RaW files (except the inclusion of that one track obviously).

Great mod by the way B-)

PS. Sorry for the slow replies. Every post is awaiting moderator approval. New member restriction I think.
« Last Edit: 2018-12-27 04:25:34 by j.biscuit »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: 2018-12-27 15:25:40 »
Doesn't look like a bug with RaW - the music isn't being commanded to play (use CTRl-ALT-D in window mode to see).  I'll wager it never played in PC version and will need script editing to place it back.
« Last Edit: 2018-12-27 15:27:20 by DLPB »

j.biscuit

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: 2018-12-27 15:51:26 »
Thanks for having a look, but check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpPQRAh-5-Y

Edit: To confirm, I just did a reinstall of the game and the track does play without the mod installed. I still think the mod's great though, I'm going to continue using it.

« Last Edit: 2018-12-27 16:25:27 by j.biscuit »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: 2018-12-27 16:26:28 »
Hmm  weird.  I guess it's how it's being commanded there and RaW doesn't see it.  RaW does a pretty hacky emulation compared to what Reunion does (which is a full replacement and taking over functions).  So perhaps here sadly is a time where my approach breaks down.

j.biscuit

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: 2018-12-27 16:37:31 »
You've still done a great job. I didn't notice any other problems so far. 8-)

SRiva7

• View Profile
« Reply #887 on: 2018-12-29 11:50:01 »
Download and install Audacity.
Use it to open an audio file that you wish to use in game.
Using the cursor, select the position in the file which you want the track to loop from. (It will play to the end and loop back to the position you select, so make sure the end of the track is edited appropriately.)
Once selected, under 'Start and End of Selection' at the bottom, change the first drop down box to 'samples' instead of 'hh:mm:ss'. Make a note of the number displayed.
Go to File -> Export -> Export as OGG...
Save the file into the RaW\CUSTOM\Test1\Music folder. For example:
'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\RaW\CUSTOM\Test1\Music'.
Give it the same name as the track you want to replace. For example I replaced '013 Force Your Way.ogg'. (You'll find all the track names in RaW\GLOBAL\Music.)
Finally, when prompted to edit the metadata information, add a new field at the bottom and call it LOOPSTART. Give it the value you recorded earlier.
Save and you're done. Just run the game.

Thank you so much for this tutorial!

When you say edit the metadata, what file do you mean? and what I have to do exactly with it?

j.biscuit

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: 2019-01-01 06:40:05 »
Thank you so much for this tutorial!

When you say edit the metadata, what file do you mean? and what I have to do exactly with it?
Metadata isn't a separate file, it's additional data contained within the audio file itself. When you save (export) the music track that you're editing in Audacity, a dialogue box will pop up showing the metadata. (It can also be accessed via Edit -> Metadata...)
You simply click 'Add' to create a new row at the bottom. In the left hand column you enter LOOPSTART and in the right hand column you enter the sample number you recorded. Just confirm with 'OK', that's all there is to it.

Remember that the audio track will loop from the very end of the file back to this point, so the track should terminate (cut it) at a point in which the music is seamless between the end and your loop start position. This can be tricky to find if you're not familiar with audio editing techniques.

If you need an example of how it's done, simply open one of the audio tracks included in RaW with Audacity. You can look at the audio track and the metadata in the provided files to compare. They are located in '[Steam folder]\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\RaW\GLOBAL\Music'.
« Last Edit: 2019-01-01 06:42:16 by j.biscuit »

j.biscuit

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: 2019-01-01 06:56:23 »
DLPB: I just finished the game and didn't notice any other problems, with the following exceptions relating to what's already reported in your help file:

- During the selection of the concert instruments in Balamb Garden, there was quite a long delay before they began playing, perhaps around 10 seconds. The victory fanfare did also play afterwards as you noted (however if I'm honest, I don't remember what was supposed to play at that point).
- If I remember correctly, there was also a shorter delay during the concert in Fisherman's Horizon before playback began, however it was all in sync and didn't really affect the scene.
- The Shumi Village scene in which the concert song is repeated did not play anything at all. My selection was the Irish Jig.
« Last Edit: 2019-01-01 06:59:06 by j.biscuit »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: 2019-01-01 18:44:18 »
Hmmm are you sure you completed the quest properly?  It doesn't play anything there until the Quest is 100% done.

SRiva7

• View Profile
« Reply #891 on: 2019-01-02 20:14:57 »
Metadata isn't a separate file, it's additional data contained within the audio file itself. When you save (export) the music track that you're editing in Audacity, a dialogue box will pop up showing the metadata. (It can also be accessed via Edit -> Metadata...)
You simply click 'Add' to create a new row at the bottom. In the left hand column you enter LOOPSTART and in the right hand column you enter the sample number you recorded. Just confirm with 'OK', that's all there is to it.

Remember that the audio track will loop from the very end of the file back to this point, so the track should terminate (cut it) at a point in which the music is seamless between the end and your loop start position. This can be tricky to find if you're not familiar with audio editing techniques.

If you need an example of how it's done, simply open one of the audio tracks included in RaW with Audacity. You can look at the audio track and the metadata in the provided files to compare. They are located in '[Steam folder]\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\RaW\GLOBAL\Music'.

Nice, I did it already and it works, thank you so much!

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: 2019-01-02 21:56:13 »
Some great automated tools exist to help with this task also. Extreme Sample Converter 3 is a good one.

j.biscuit

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: 2019-01-04 01:14:59 »
Hmmm are you sure you completed the quest properly?  It doesn't play anything there until the Quest is 100% done.
Yeah man, I can send you a save if you like.

I do want to say that I think what you've done's really good. Like there's no way I wouldn't use or recommend your mod, I'm not complaining. Just trying to help.

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: 2019-01-04 01:35:32 »
Yeah send along the save ;)  And I understand you're being constructive.  I just wanted to make sure it's not your side before I go into it. 

j.biscuit

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: 2019-01-04 02:09:15 »
Right o  8)

Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2fmb8pi1lufthu/ff8_save_shumi_village_complete.zip?dl=0

At Fisherman's Horizon, I used Zell on guitar, Selphie on flute, Quistis on violin and Irvine on tap.
« Last Edit: 2019-01-04 02:14:04 by j.biscuit »

Callisto

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: 2019-01-05 09:31:27 »

Using Deling Field editor, you can see that during this particular scene, the track is not started by the usual MUSICCHANGE opcode, but DUALMUSIC opcode instead, likely to play both the track and the train background sounds at the same time. I have tried to get the Junction track back in, and it worked, but not without making the train noises disappear. They are supposed to be played at the same time, until Junction starts getting louder:

https://youtu.be/s9z8iUQ2mVY?t=1507

DLPB, maybe you can do something with that info?
« Last Edit: 2019-01-05 09:33:25 by Callisto »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: 2019-01-05 17:45:01 »
The only current way would be an involved hacky response...  and where else is dual used?  If multiple places, the only solution is to make a proper music mod for ff8 - take over functions entirely.

Callisto

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: 2019-01-06 01:44:00 »
Other than during the train scene, Dualmusic is used mostly in Balamb wherever the sound of ocean waves is heard in the background. Also at Balamb Garden Quad, after Garden becomes mobile and inside Dollet Communication Tower when using the elevator. Other occurrences: Sorceress Memorial when the Squall/Rinoa FMV starts, Fisherman's Horizon after beating the tank boss, and during the ending at the orphanage.

I don't remember any bugs at any of the mentioned scenes, though. So it could be just the train scene when it causes trouble.

Cicciolo

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: 2019-01-07 12:00:42 »
I wonder if that "dualmusic" thing has something to do with the Balamb music fading off after playing a game of Triple Triad, leaving only the "sound of ocean waves".