Author Topic: Posting .lgp's  (Read 3348 times)

Template

• Freak
  • Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
Posting .lgp's
« on: 2013-07-24 22:14:46 »
Is it OK to share complete lgps instead of decoding them into a folder full of files and making people encode them? Not entirely sure why I thought that was the rule but now I can't find anything concrete about it. Seems like that would be OK right?
« Last Edit: 2013-07-24 23:24:58 by Template »

sithlord48

• No life
  • Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
Re: Q: Posting compiled lgps
« Reply #1 on: 2013-07-24 23:09:58 »
if you made everything in the LGP then yes. if it has any of the files from game that are not made by you then,  i would say its a grey enuff area that the answer would be no .

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • No life
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-24 23:12:35 »
That. Posting any original content of the game is not allowed. Qhimm is already on the grey line enough, we don't want to push our luck (well, I wouldn't, that's for sure).

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • No life
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-24 23:13:22 »
What sith and Vgr said, except I'm a moderator. :P

To expand on that: The LGPs included with the game are full of copyrighted data. Unless you replace all of it, to distribute an LGP with some of the original game data would be copyright infringement.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • No life
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-24 23:16:33 »
Also, LGP compression was originally made by Square, so even if there's only new content... there would still be a small part of it that belongs to Square... but I'm just nit-picking here!

Template

• Freak
  • Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
Re: Posting .lgp's
« Reply #5 on: 2013-07-24 23:27:10 »
Thanks guys, I knew there was some reason I was hesitant about it. As long as the end-user is doing the compiling, it's OK (so far).

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • No life
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-07-24 23:28:45 »
Also, LGP compression was originally made by Square, so even if there's only new content... there would still be a small part of it that belongs to Square... but I'm just nit-picking here!
A compression method can't be copyrighted, only patented. As far as I know, LGP isn't patented.

sithlord48

• No life
  • Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #7 on: 2013-07-24 23:35:00 »
A compression method can't be copyrighted, only patented. As far as I know, LGP isn't patented.
accually software is unique in U.S patent law in that it get both a copyright and patent.  yes our patent system is broken.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • No life
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-07-25 22:10:43 »
accually software is unique in U.S patent law in that it get both a copyright and patent.  yes our patent system is broken.
Software can be both, but different aspects of the software are covered separately. The code and binary data can be copyrighted, and the technique that the code does can be patented. Where reimplementation is involved and you are not using their original compression code, only patent applies.