Author Topic: [FF8-related, maybe spoiler-ish?] Minor audio/music-related bugs i noticed  (Read 4418 times)

Cicciolo

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
I apologize for this wall of text but i tried discussing this in DLPB's "Roses and Wine" thread but he couldn't do anything about it (because they're mostly unrelated to the OST itself) and told me to continue the discussion somewhere else in the forum. I tried in the official Steam discussions section but was completely ignored. Maybe here i'll have a little more luck, who knows.

I started playing FF8 earlier this year (the Steam version, i also played FF7 before that, and it was full of minor audio-related issues... but that's another story. Maybe i'll play FF9 next when it gets released) and spent a lot of time on Disc 3, because, you know, it's the last one before the "Point of no return", the cities (and so certain leveling spots like Elnoyle in Esthar) become unavailable in Disc 4 and whatever. And i noticed some issues with the music while re-visiting certain towns. I thought these issues were related to "Roses and Wine" (which brings PSX quality music to PC, since Square didn't even bother to patch it like FF7... and that version still has small issues which still required ANOTHER music mod) but apparently it's not true. These bugs also happen with the original MIDI soundtrack, even with a fresh reinstall of the game. And i'm fairly certain they happen only on Disc 3... or at least, the former does, because the music is supposed to change there.

1) When you finish the Shumi Village sidequest in Disc 3 (after starting it in Disc 2) and the statue is completed (before going in the Lunatic Pandora) you're supposed to hear the music played in Fisherman's Horizon with the band (which is composed of 4 different MIDI-ish audio files chosen from a total of 8, 4 are for one Irish-like music, the other is a instrumental version of "Eyes on Me"), after Master Fisherman tells you something about bringing it to the village. The guy is there only if you previously completed the Fisherman's quest back in Disc 2, IIRC. After that, when you leave the workshop and go in the previous screen (the one with the Moomba outside the Elder's house), you get an extra flashback sequence with Laguna in the workshop, and the music is changed to "Fragments of Memories" (from the second dream sequence in Winhill). This music is also kept if you ever decide to return (after the flashback, you're automatically sent to the village elevator)

This is the sequence from the PS1 version (music starts at 06:00 minutes):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTfBloaqJyA

And this is the same on PC (music is supposed to start at around 17:40 minutes):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzBJmjyh5mA

As you can see/hear (lol), NOTHING is heard on PC. Notice how the video uploader says that the bug could be caused by a lack of a music mod (actually, it's still happening with it)

That's when things get completely effed up. Normally, there's no music playing in the background when you walk around the village, except an audio file with the sound of birds, water etc. (either "038-soyo.wav" or "039-rouka.wav" from the game folders, i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\Data\Music\stream\ all WAVs i'm going to name from now on are in that folder, by the way). That's until you get the statue completed. After that, nothing works properly in the village. You'll no longer hear the "band music" or the background ambient sounds. If you return after the aforementioned flashback, and leave the elevator, you keep hearing it when you walk around the village (audio file is "010-ante.wav"). If you enter the hotel, and leave it, "Julia" keeps playing. If you enter the workshop, and leave it, "Fragments of Memories" keeps playing. It's like it "absorbs" the last music you heard, and keeps playing it until you reach another room with another music, or leave the village.

2) You all know the music that plays in Balamb Town. It's the same that normally plays in the aforementioned Shumi Village workshop. Well, there are two screens at Balamb Town in which you can also hear sea waves, seagulls etc. in the background (the audio file itself is called ""044-sea.wav" in the game folders), and off course the music theme itself. The screens are the one outside of the Balamb Hotel (with the bearded guy who talks with the girl), and the docks. If you play Triple Triad with the NPCs in one of these two screens, you get two issues:

a) "044-sea.wav" keeps playing even during Triple Triad games, and "Shuffle or Boogie" (the minigame theme) plays at the same time. The former keeps playing even if you win a game of cards (in the screen where you choose the cards you won), and again, you can also hear the "victory" music at the same time.

b) when you leave a game (by winning/losing or just quitting before playing) the Balamb music theme just fades out and you hear only the aforementioned "044-sea.wav". If you replay a game of cards and/or quit again, you still hear some bits of the Balamb music, and again, it fades off and you hear the other background audio. The only way to restore the music in the town is to leave it and return, or play a game of cards with people NOT at the docks or outside the Balamb Hotel (like the Queen of Cards if she's at the station, Zell's mother, the kids in the other house, or the girl outside the station).

I'm afraid there are no videos of this, sadly, but it can ALWAYS be replicated on Disc 3, especially just before going to the "Point of no return" in the Lunatic Pandora. Just go back to Balamb Town, play Triple Triad on these two screens, and see what happens. Again, sorry for the wall of text, i know these issues will probably never ever be fixed (were they in the 2000 version?), but i just wanted to report them anyway... i wonder if you also noticed these, and nobody seems to have discussed about that ANYWHERE.

EDIT: both issues have been strikethrough'd because the former was fixed by Roses and Wine W07 and the latter will never be fixed (but can) for the time being.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-17 20:17:51 by Cicciolo »

DLPB

• No life
  • For I realized that God's a young man, too.
    • View Profile
1. Have you messed the first links up?  Or time index?  That PC one does not match the PSX.  Regardless, this is likely much more difficult to fix since it is using the midi instruments (although it may be possible for me to make some hacky fix).  The port may be bad, but I will need a save.

2. Balamb issue can be fixed.  The music that fades out certainly can by using Deling and editing the script. The sound effect issue is small fry, even if it ends up being too difficult to change.  Both are caused by field script errors and will likely be present in ALL versions of ff8, psx or otherwise.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-08 10:00:00 by DLPB »

Cicciolo

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
I'll provide a savegame as soon as possible.

Also, the links seem to be fine to me? The guy who is commenting the PC game also says "what's the tune?" but thinks it's not playing because of the patch (it doesn't play even without the patch)

The sound effects issue is on FF7, not FF8.

EDIT: try this http://www105.zippyshare.com/v/Ayaww2ZG/file.html (it's my Disc 3 save before the "point of no return", made with the Steam version in Italian)
« Last Edit: 2018-09-12 22:43:31 by Cicciolo »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
The sound effects issue is on FF7, not FF8.

All your points relate to FF8.

I'll look into the music issue.  Does it always play Irish Jig there?  I need a save right before that moment - outside the village.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-08 20:13:40 by DLPB »

Cicciolo

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
All your points relate to FF8.

I'll look into the music issue.  Does it always play Irish Jig there?  I need a save right before that moment - outside the village.
Huh? In the other thread, i wrote "Probably that's why nobody could even fix the few faulty sound effects with FF7 for PC, too...!" not sure why you're implying there are other sound effects issues with FF8. It seemed all fine to me when i played it. The only real issues are with the music. What's the problem with my savegame? I thought i saved it in the World Map at the end of Disc 3... with that quest already completed. You can enter the Village, and hear by yourself. It is supposed to play, in my case "Irish Jig". But it could've been the instrumental version of "Eyes on Me", or whatever choice of instruments one made back in Disc 2 during the concert at Fisherman's Horizon. No, everything is a mess there.  It's all written in the first post. But apparently, it was already a mess back in the day.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-12 22:43:44 by Cicciolo »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
 "044-sea.wav"  <  that's a sound effect in ff8. The fact it is playing during the card game is either intentional or a sound effect error caused by a script error.  All your points in this thread relate to ff8.

I am just making sure that when I get to the village there isn't going to be some issue that wastes my time.  If you say it will play - I'll go there.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-08 20:43:51 by DLPB »

Cicciolo

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
"044-sea.wav"  <  that's a sound effect in ff8. The fact it is playing during the card game is either intentional or a sound effect error caused by a script error.  All your points in this thread relate to ff8.

I am just making sure that when I get to the village there isn't going to be some issue that wastes my time.  If you say it will play - I'll go there.
Oh, i see. I guess i was talking about a different thing lol. Sorry.

I didn't say it will play, i said it is SUPPOSED to play, but i get something else (as pointed in the first post), but yeah, that quest is completed, so you can hear what i tried to explain.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-12 22:43:59 by Cicciolo »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
As I suspected.  I get to village and nothing happens.  I need a save that is 100% ready for me to enter the village and the cutscene to start playing.  The cutscene that you linked me to doesn;'t happen at all - there isn't even a fisherman there.  There are no Shumi at the statue.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-08 20:58:55 by DLPB »

Cicciolo

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
As I suspected.  I get to village and nothing happens.  I need a save that is 100% ready for me to enter the village and the cutscene to start playing.  The cutscene that you linked me to doesn;'t happen at all - there isn't even a fisherman there.  There are no Shumi at the statue.
Well, that's because i already completed the quest, as i said... i would have to mess with some editor to "reset" the quest. And i don't think Hyne allows that. I'm deeply sorry.

But tell me, have you heard anything strange like i said? The elevator sound effect that keeps playing in the village and everything?
« Last Edit: 2018-09-12 22:44:11 by Cicciolo »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
Not sure...  if there are issues there it will be fairly simple to fix with deling I suspect.  but if you do manage to find a save that will let me see that scene, let me know.  I need to see if it is fixable.

Cicciolo

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
Well, all i could find is a savegame just before the completion of that quest, however the other guy forgot to complete the Fisherman's quest back in Disc 2, so there's no fisherman at all. However, the "audio file with the sound of birds" i mentioned in the first post is playing properly, and then it doesn't after the quest is completed. Is that the same for you? I don't want to go around begging for a save, or to restart the game from scratch.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-12 22:44:30 by Cicciolo »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
It will be the same for me if it is for you.  The script is the same for both of us.  It will be fixable with Deling.  I don't really care much about editing FF8 script though.  But anyone slightly competent editing field code will be able to fix that issue and the one in Balamb.

I do want to fix the music issue at Shumi Village though, as that is music related.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-08 21:59:43 by DLPB »

Cicciolo

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
It will be the same for me if it is for you.  The script is the same for both of us.  It will be fixable with Deling.  I don't really care much about editing FF8 script though.  But anyone slightly competent editing field code will be able to fix that issue and the one in Balamb.

I do want to fix the music issue at Shumi Village though, as that is music related.
Oh, okay then... http://www32.zippyshare.com/v/PAMqEas9/file.html

Like i said, you'll get the Shumi at the statue, however there's no fisherman. That's the best i could find as of now.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-12 22:44:48 by Cicciolo »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
I don't have time to go through quests... I don't remember where to go or what to do.  Kranmer is testing though, so it's ok!

Cicciolo

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
No worries :) i just hope the savegame will still be useful somehow...
« Last Edit: 2018-09-12 22:45:02 by Cicciolo »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
Well, it can be fixed - but not easily and not nice.

Looking at the code, music ID 43 is indeed loaded (that's what FH concert uses too) - and also which full tune you played (Irish Jig / Eyes on Me) will be the one played.  I am not sure how the latter works in code.  It doesn't work like the other music.  ID 43 doesn't stay there long - it's superseded by ID 10 (an unused ID).

I can add in a crappy hackish work around, where you manually place Irish Jig or Eyes on Me as the music  and, once the statue is complete, they will play. But even that isn't perfect because the PC version changes the music again depending on which house you go into.  It would certainly be better than nothing, of course.  The bottom line is - without someone editing the script, it will never ever be perfect.  Same with the sound effect issues.

The PC port team simply didn't bother correcting this part of the game.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-09 07:56:11 by DLPB »

Cicciolo

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
Well, it can be fixed - but not easily and not nice.

Looking at the code, music ID 43 is indeed loaded (that's what FH concert uses too) - and also which full tune you played (Irish Jig / Eyes on Me) will be the one played.  I am not sure how the latter works in code.  It doesn't work like the other music.  ID 43 doesn't stay there long - it's superseded by ID 10 (an unused ID).

I can add in a crappy hackish work around, where you manually place Irish Jig or Eyes on Me as the music  and, once the statue is complete, they will play. But even that isn't perfect because the PC version changes the music again depending on which house you go into.  It would certainly be better than nothing, off course.  The bottom line is - without someone editing the script, it will never ever be perfect.  Same with the sound effect issues.

The PC port team simply didn't bother correcting this part of the game.
I think it's not just Irish Jig and Eyes on Me, but like i said, it could be a combination of both (there are 4 out of 8 instruments to choose from)

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Fishermans_Horizon#Concert

Now that i think about it, i probably choose the "Eyes on Me" instruments on my PC playthrough, because always chose Irish Jig on PSX...  :P

I'll try again to find a savegame with that quest (from the ones posted in the web, both PC and PSX, because they can be converted) at the right point... i can't guarantee anything, though.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-12 22:45:20 by Cicciolo »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
It probably is.  If it's a combination of any and all - then it will just have to be a choice for the PC version with RaW - unless someone can code the midi back in.

We need a check on PSX version to see if the Fisherman will also play crap versions, as well as the two good ones.

Cicciolo

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
It probably is.  If it's a combination of any and all - then it will just have to be a choice for the PC version with RaW - unless someone can code the midi back in.

We need a check on PSX version to see if the Fisherman will also play crap versions, as well as the two good ones.
It probably does, as written in that page:

"Later, if the party meets the Master Fisherman in Shumi Village, they learn that he recorded the band's music and plays it back for them."

Sadly all video playthroughs i could find use the two good versions. I did choose a crap version during my very first playthrough on PSX, but that was 17 years ago :P
« Last Edit: 2018-09-12 22:45:34 by Cicciolo »

Cicciolo

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
I tested RaW W07 and issue #1 is mostly fixed. Now "Eyes on Me" (which i chose on my PC playthrough) plays properly in all areas, and goes away/fades out when i go in certain areas or leave the village.

HOWEVER... when you enter the village itself after leaving the elevator, you can still hear "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\Data\Music\stream\010-ante.wav" which is the elevator audio file, playing at the same time with the FH concert music. Entering the hotel (which changes the music to "Julia") or the workshop (which changes the music to "Fragments of Memories") and returning to the first area fixes the issue.

Also i'm not sure if it's intentional but in certain areas of the village the volume of the FH concert music goes down a little after a couple of seconds, after starting from the default volume.

Issue #2 is still there in its entirety, sadly.

I haven't tested anything else.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-17 20:08:58 by Cicciolo »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
Both of those are PC field coding/porting errors and not Roses and Wine.   The latter is intended.  The former probably needs Deling to fix it and I am not sure how.

Cicciolo

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
Both of those are PC field coding/porting errors and not Roses and Wine.   The latter is intended.  The former probably needs Deling to fix it and I am not sure how.

Well i thought the Balamb thing was similar to a fading issue that was probably fixed in W04... years ago i talked about a guy in Seaside Station that kept playing the Triple Triad music after quitting a game.

EDIT: years ago i also mentioned a volume issue with "The Salt Flats" being played at a lower volume in Lunar Gate (Esthar continent) in the RaW thread, but it's no longer an issue apparently.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-17 20:09:10 by Cicciolo »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
The triple triad game is also a scripting error.  It occurs in PSX too if i recall.

Cicciolo

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
What Triple Triad error? The one in Balamb? I don't remember it happening on PSX... but i could be wrong.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-17 20:09:20 by Cicciolo »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
I remember going over this - the command to fade out there is in script.  It's not RaW.